Portable Air Conditioner

Has anyone any experience using a portable 'home' air conditioner in their small motor home?

We live in an area (Vancouver Island) that rarely heats up to the level of discomfort for sleeping, but are planning a trip in August to the Okanagan Lake area where it heats up - really heats up! We're not acclimitized for that kind of heat.

We do not have a roof air conditioner and don't really want to install one, so thought perhaps a small home one (not a window model) might work. Could work at home if it happens to heat up one or two nights, so wouldn't be a waste.

We found one a Home Depot but don't want to buy it if it's not a good idea for some reason.

Thanks for any help, anyone.

Ron & Sue

in Toy-Rig

There was a lot of discussion about this on the Yahoo Group.

Someone had one, They kept it strapped to the back of the passenger seat. When they stopped, they moved the passenger seat all the way forward and made a platform thing it would set on behind the Pax seat. They made an adapter for the passenger window and blew the exhaust out the Pax window.

I was thinking something similar, but put it in the shower and make an adapter to blow the exhaust out the bathroom roof vent.

I looked at one of these at Menards, it was kind of big, If I can find a smaller one, I might do it

I'm still thinking...

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Ihave a 5000 200 btu window wall unit we set on a table made to fit in the passeng er door window i have plate to cover the window made out lexan velcro it to the door two weeks ago we went to the richland area of washington state that is a hot place can be 114 105 easy this time cool 95 inside the old minimax75 at the koa i use a long cord to the power and a smallfan btween the front seats paid 125 dollors for the wallunit leave at home when we go to moutains you cant hardly camp in the tri cites without air we slept very well

tried the portable AC, save your money and buy a rooftop. the portables will heat more than they cool because the exhaust tube gets too hot and produces heat. Window unit mentioned sounds great but takes up work n space but would be my second choice. I returned the LG potable AC unit with remote; it heated the camper more than it cooled and was vented out the roof!

Totem;

Thanks for the info, Looks like I'll go rooftop or a modified window unit. Still thinking.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Can you post a picture?

Ihave a 5000 200 btu window wall unit we set on a table made to fit in the passeng er door window i have plate to cover the window made out lexan velcro it to the door two weeks ago we went to the richland area of washington state that is a hot place can be 114 105 easy this time cool 95 inside the old minimax75 at the koa i use a long cord to the power and a smallfan btween the front seats paid 125 dollors for the wallunit leave at home when we go to moutains you cant hardly camp in the tri cites without air we slept very well

The rooftop unit i just got (coleman 13500) wired right in in 20 minutes to the existing hardware and 20 amp breaker. There was a 12 guage wire tucked underneath the vent shroud just like the dealership promised. Was pricey, but man, NOTHING will drop cold ac love like that. Shoots front and back along roof and cold air blankets entire rv. Set on high to store hung deer meat.

sorry no inside pict the table is made of alumium it has a bracket riveted on fitted down over inside and outside of window ledge i need too make adjustable legs for the outside have two old tent poles will use for that this is the second time we used this the unit must be tilted back a little to allow water to drain i paid 125 for the unit way less than roof air i dont plug in my out lets just run an xta cord to the pedistal only 115 volts put a small fan behind front seats blows to the back good

will thank about that probly not use agin this season go to the mountains now but for the amount we use it works thanks for the ideas now i will take my 130 dollor generator to back country live delux on a cardboard budget ha ha