Not turning over

heyheymymy

Hey folks,

Just got back form a 4000 mile trip. Had no problems the whole way. I'm back in Canada now visiting some family and all of the sudden my Toy won't start. Won't even turn over.

It's an automatic '86 with the 22RE EFI. It's been parked on a little decline (see my profile picture for the grade) and it's been pretty rainy the last few days. I'm wondering, could something have gotten wet? It's been parked like this for a couple of weeks and I've been starting it every couple of days. Never had a problem until today. It's always started beautifully on the first crank since I bought it.

The battery is fine. Lots of juice. Still, I tried a boost and that didn't work. Sounds like the starter or starter solenoid to me, but I'm not all that knowledgeable.

Any suggestions?

When you turn the key, do the lights on the dash come on as normal? When you turn the key to 'Start', do you hear a 'click' from the solenoid? Have you tried moving the shifter out of 'Park' and then back into 'Park'? If you hear the solenoid clicking, you might try tapping the starter motor while someone turns the key for you.

Hey Derek,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yep, the dash lights come on as they should. I do hear the solenoid click when I turn the key to 'Start'. I've tried shifting out of park and then back, but there was no change.

I'll try and track someone down to tap on the starter for me.

The 22r starter solenoid is problematic. There is a contactor that is a washer, it and its contact gets corroded.

Toyota P/N is 28226-72010

Just google Toyota 22r starter repair

Yeah there are copper contact inside the solenoid they burn with use and if you can find some one that knows what you need it's a cheap fix but finding some one to fix it maybe hard they will want you to buy a rebuilt starter. The starters seem to last for ever but it's the @#$!^ contacts that go bad. When they go bad it just clicks and nothing happens if you continue clicking it, it may eventually start.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I took out the battery, cleaned the terminals, put the battery back in and then for some reason it started. I don't get it. The terminals weren't even dirty. So maybe I just lucked out and the starter kicked back in again.

The copper contacts being worn out inside the solenoid makes the most sense. I looked up how to do it and seems easy enough. If the problem comes up again I'll try it out.

Thanks, everyone.

you guys a re right on those selond contacts are a problem i have changed them and clean plunger on the 197879 they also use a drict drive starter toyota oem i replace with that always shoup here auto eletric said i can put one on my 22re 4wd pu i never thought you could on newer ones just put new dirict drive starter on my 1978 minimax put on 1977 station wagen 20 r 15000o miles no problem if you can put that on way way better 1970s came ether way iwill put on pu if i can