Yes, they were an option in 75 in both the pickups and Chinooks

Nolan!! Thank you!! I couldn't find that info anywhere readily! Do you happen to know if the automatics are problematic or not?

Thanks again!

i have had 3 trucks and station wagen and moter home all stick but i belive the autos were made under license from borg warner ido not know how good they were

Nolan!! Thank you!! I couldn't find that info anywhere readily! Do you happen to know if the automatics are problematic or not?

Thanks again!

Your welcome, glad I could help. Having never owned any of the Toy auto trans trucks I can't say good or bad about those particular model autos, but from what I have heard and read, they are pretty decent basic old school autos, just a 3 speed non overdrive non electronic transmissionm that do a good job if taken care of and not abused.

If I do end up with this machine, and it does have a BW auto transmission, my Dad has worked on one in the past. YAY! Thanks again! Right now I'm waiting for more info/pics. I feel like a potential parent waiting for the call from the adoption agency. :-)

Your welcome, glad I could help. Having never owned any of the Toy auto trans trucks I can't say good or bad about those particular model autos, but from what I have heard and read, they are pretty decent basic old school autos, just a 3 speed non overdrive non electronic transmissionm that do a good job if taken care of and not abused.

after thinking it over i dont rember ever hearing anything bad about the autos and a welcome to all the new people

• 3 months later...

after thinking it over i dont rember ever hearing anything bad about the autos and a welcome to all the new people

Hi, I'm brand new here, and don't have a Toyota RV yet,

but I do have a '74 Hilux with the auto. It's an

Aisin-Warner A30 in the early pickups ('74-'76 or '77?)

and the more durable A40 later. I was warned about

A30 problems with reverse before I bought this truck,

and (based on a very small sample) can confirm

this...not that it's entirely the fault of the unit itself. I

backed a load of computer parts up and over a

sidewalk, but couldn't get a running start because of

clearance probs, so I nudged the truck back up to the

curb, then floored it until she backed over the curb.

Done more intelligently, that's called a stall test, done

the way I did it, it resulted in a tranny that slips in

reverse.

The guys at the trans shop (where it had just been

rebuilt) told me that even though it worked OK in fwd

speeds, it would eventually slip in D, and further

repairs would be needed shortly. I think they knew their

stuff, and certainly did a good rebuild, I just abused

what is really a light duty automatic.

That being said, that was in 1997. Since then she's

been up and down SF to Santa Clara lots, and I took her,

fully loaded, San Francisco to San Antonio, (that was in

2000) and been driving/hauling frequently since. I just

don't use reverse anymore! Henry

OK, so I've been expecting the trans in my Hilux (yes, it's the same drivetrain as in the Chinook) to go, and so I've been curious

about why it's lasted so long, after obviously being damaged. If you dig into the docs for this unit, all the parts used in R, are also

used in the various fwd gears. I've been going forward for years, how come?

There's a Borg-Warner ancestor to this trans, I'm running from memory here, but I believe it's called the 35. It was notable for

being an early automatic that was efficient enough to be used in lighter, less powerful cars in the late fifties/early sixties (?) mostly

British and some models of the Rambler. (thanks, Wikipedia!) There's some discussions about restoring these cars, and in attending

the the trans, there was a reference to a problem with the o-ring on the rear band servo. Something like that...if there was some

kind of a leak in that servo (it wraps the rear band around an internal part in the trans) it would allow the band to wear quickly, and

then you'd have problems. I think (Yeah, I've been thinking too much about this, because I've been waiting for it to finally die, so I

can disassemble it and confirm this speculation), I think it slips in reverse, because there's only one oil pump providing hydraulic

pressure at 0 MPH (no rear pump participation, since it's driven off the drive shaft.)and the front pump can't keep up with the leak.

But, the same part works fine for the 2nd to 3rd shift, (even though it slips if you shift Park to reverse)because at 35 MPH, you

have the front pump being driven much faster by the engine, and you have the rear pump being driven off the drive shaft, which is

spinning at... 35 MPH. I guess I could try getting to 35 and then shift N to R...I had a safety inspection where the tech doing the

inspection took the engine up to about 3000RPM, and shifted Park to reverse...which chirped the tires, and guaranteed I'd not

return to them for service...ever. (reverse isn't actually required for motor vehicles here. I looked it up.)

I've learned a lot about automatic transmissions from this curiosity/obsession. I suggest

http://www.familycar...ransmission.htm if this is making your head hurt.

I think it's also helped that shortly after I messed up my trans, I disconnected the throttle from the throttle valve, the one in the

transmission (not the one in the carb...) Instead, I rigged a bracket that locks the lever (sticking out of the left side of the trans)in a

position that times the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift at 35MPH, no matter what the position of the gas pedal is...that way I can feather the

gas so there's not a lot of torque through the transmission at the point where it shifts (yes, it's occasionally annoying to impatient

drivers in back...it's an elderly, slow-moving pickup. Texas is full of them.)

I'd like to find out how right or wrong all of this is, but I'm not tearing down the trans just because of a little detail like no

reverse...and it refuses to die. Any opinions from someone who's actually worked on an A30?

Reverse is high clutch pack and reverse band no forward clutch applied. Reverse uses the most oil pressure they have not used rear pumps in a long long time. You really should hook your cable back up and adjust it properly. Has any one adjusted the band?

• 5 years later...

I've adjusted both bands, but the throttle linkage just affects the throttle valve position, so I've left that locked in place so it shifts predictably (around 12 for 1-2, 35 for 2-3). there are various versions of the BW-35 that just have the front pump, but the Aisin-Warner A-30 for Toyota had a rear pump. I dropped the pan, dropped the rear band's servo, and it looked ok, o-ring ok, no cracks in the casting, was mounted securely. I don't know...

...now it's still functional, but lately I start it in N, and it surges forward like it's in drive, same in Park. Works ok in D. Dropped the valve body but didn't see any problem, haven't pulled out the valve spools yet.