Central California Weather (sorta central)

Gulfstream Greg

We had 70 degree days for a few days. Fooled a bunch of trees into believing spring had sprung. Just got 7 inches of rain over the last 3 days and cold 17 degree temps. Even some snow at the higher elevations. I shot some video of the snow just up the road. The amount though is pale in comparison to other areas around here. Several roads were closed. The vid is in HD for full screen enjoyment.

Direct for HD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu6DW2nseh8&hd=1

Or view it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu6DW2nseh8&hd=1

Wimp, we got 4" and its -9. :bleh:

30 MPH winds here sunny and 21, -10 tonight just got back from a snowmobile rally 75 miles through the Maine woods ain't nothing around here that resembles spring!

Up here in Ohio its, 3-5 inches of snow, over 1/2 inch of ice. 20 Deg F and 30 mph winds

All the trees are hanging down from the weight, lot of broken branches.

I loved snow in the Santa Cruz Mts. I used to live in Milpitas, every couple years we woulds see snow up at Lick Observatory, and Mission Peak, and on rare occasions, would see a dusting of big fat wet snow flakes on the valley floor.

GLOBAL WARMING really sucks.

JOhn Mc

88 Do

It's like Spring here, too. Only problem is Springtime in the Northern Rockies usually means snow into late May or early June!

Up here in Maine we have winter and 3 months of bad sledding.

connecticut has kind of been doing a maine imitation this year. our 3.5 ft tall picket fence was about 4 inches tall for most of january. i think it's back to about 18 inches tall.

the sunrader and odyssey are snuggled up against one another and were getting close to being buried for awhile. i finally got out there with the snow rake and lightened them up a bit before they collapsed.

last friday teased us with low 60s, but, it's back to 20s and windy. wind chill is somewhere around 150 below zero, i think.

That's pretty strange. And to think just last week the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am broadcasted probably one of the best weekends on record. What a difference a week makes! They also showed pictures of snow on the famous 18th hole sometime in the 60's (I believe 1961 but not certain). Now that would really be odd to witness.

Myself, I lived in the foothills of Southern California (2500 ft) at the base of a 10,000+ foot mountain. A few times, we surfed in the morning, golfed in the afternoon, and then went night skiing! :) So. California is definitely unique like that.

That's pretty strange. And to think just last week the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am broadcasted probably one of the best weekends on record. What a difference a week makes! They also showed pictures of snow on the famous 18th hole sometime in the 60's (I believe 1961 but not certain). Now that would really be odd to witness.

Myself, I lived in the foothills of Southern California (2500 ft) at the base of a 10,000+ foot mountain. A few times, we surfed in the morning, golfed in the afternoon, and then went night skiing! :) So. California is definitely unique like that.

They are predicting possible snow at sea level on Friday. For sure down to the 1000 ft level and easily down to 500 ft and possibly seal level. I am at 750 ft. Got plenty of wine for the snow party!

Snow down to the beach predicted for the south Oregon coast starting tonight also Greg. Wine and dry firewood, a few good books & movies layed in for the duration. Watching coasties "drive" in the snow is also comical, terrential monsoon driving is no problemo, but a slight smatering of snow reaks havoc, and that is before the wine...

• 3 weeks later...

They are predicting possible snow at sea level on Friday. For sure down to the 1000 ft level and easily down to 500 ft and possibly seal level. I am at 750 ft. Got plenty of wine for the snow party!

Turned out to be a big bust. We did get a slight dusting, looked like frost. We are back to the usual spring weather, sometimes 70, sometimes 40. We do have a plum tree that produced so many flowers that it looks like it snowed under it. And a huge increase in the bee population compared to last year.

We had a tsunami here (Brookings Oregon) yesterday from the Japanese quake. We lost 60% of the commercial boat basin and a few boats. Cresent City California also had their port wiped out. In think Santa Cruz may have had some damage also.

News Story > http://www.currypilot.com/20110313117315/News/Local-News/Emergency-funds-sought-for-tsunami-damaged-ports

Photos from the port > http://www.currypilot.com/20110312117312/News/Local-News/More-pictures-from-the-Brookings-tsunami

Yes, Santa Cruz was also hit. Estimating about 17 million dollars damage just to the docks in the harbor. Several boats were sank and many many more damaged. My work is about 4 miles south at Rio Del Mar beach. Luckily the surges were not high enough there to breach the beaches.

• 2 weeks later...

Baha-your close on the date. It was o/a jan 20, 1962. I was in basic training at fort ord(monterey). It was 17 degrees on bivoac!.Thanks for the memories.