looking for sunrader front corner windows

xtioga

i'm deep into the tear out on my little 21ft. rader and i'm thinking about two possible choices for the front corner windows..one is replace, i'm not sure if new ones are even available anymore..anyone have any source ideas? or the other choice..glass in the holes with some patch work and paint..this seems like it has some pluses..never leaking being one..so far i removed the interior paneling and cabinetry and am down to the floor...some rot under where the water tank sits..i'm anxious to get to the rebuild and have a few goals in mind. the tearout is the gross part..1 mumified mouse so far...and a few dozen lazy flies buzzing around...yuck!..

Good resource. Wonder how much something like a new window would cost? $500 bucks a piece wouldn't surprise me.

Are your windows cracked or something? The rubber seal is really crucial and typically what fails on the corners in almost every one I've inspected. Personally, I'd fill them in as you describe if they are in poor shape. Heat loss as well as the potential for water damage to destroy your overhead compartment would seem worth the hassle to fill them in.

I've no idea of the cost. Don't own a Sunrader. I just don't like the concept of having a curved window like that. From an engineering point of view, a yyyy to seal. (Hope that word isn't too politically incorrect.) I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of them unless they happened to be leak free installed in a 'home with a mint fiberglass shell.

In case someone's looking, the same place apparently owns the molds for the Sunrader rear fender flares.

EDIT: Interesting. My reference to a 'female dog' has been replaced with 'yyyy'. Just curious, does this get done automatically by some PI software?

Thank you for the info guys, i will contact them & see what choices they offer, the shell on this sunrader is in great shape, it only had one roof vent no AC and has no water damage on the roof, i'm removing it to replace with some nice hickory panels, the corner windows are a little wavy and from the inside looking out are full of cracks and distorted but don't leak themselves, the rubber molding is the proplem now but i would be happy if it was glassed in and paneled inside..that way when i'm traveling and getting into laziness repairing it won't come up. x

My records show that the previous owner had one of the curved windows replaced about 2005 for $300 (installed), don't know what they cost now, please let us know when you call them.

I called them last spring and the price was 275 for the window and 100 for installation. They need at least a month lead time bcause they only make them as needed. If you are unfortunate enough to have an older Sunrader with the larger front windows, up to 1980 or 81, you need to double that price.

Linda

My records show that the previous owner had one of the curved windows replaced about 2005 for $300 (installed), don't know what they cost now, please let us know when you call them.

The original molds for the Sunrader Plexiglas front wrap-around windows reside with Advantage RV in Napa, CA.

They are at:-

4122 Byway East

Napa, CA 94558-1907

(707) 252-8188

Ask for Dean, the owner.

Derek,

It was suggested that I call Dean at Advantage a few months ago. I called and the person I spoke with said he was no longer there and left no forwarding information. Kim

Thanks Linda for the price update. I am wondering if a person could cut a piece of tinted plexiglass and then heat and bend it around a large diameter pipe with the flat areas sandwiched between two pieces of plywood, let cool and "walla" a curved window?

Yes, it could be done. I don't have a Sunrader to go and look at, but is The radius constant, top to bottom? And are the surfaces either side of the main curve flat?

Since I don't have a Sunrader, I've never looked into it, but are the windows Plexiglasâ„¢ [Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA)] or Lexan â„¢ [Polycarbonate]?

________________________________________________________________________________

Bending Lexan/Plexiglas is rather simple affair

To curve either of these two products one must invest in a simple homeowners propane torch kit (generally around $12.00 US). To bend lexan and plexiglass your piece should be clamped firmly to a strong, stable surface that is preferably indoors. Once you have clamped the piece begin to heat the panel along the line where you intend to have it bend. DON'T put the torch too close for too long as it will cause the plastics to get cloudy or even bubble up. You will know when the plastic is ready to bend simply by applying pressure to the free end of your work piece. Large pieces will require the help of a partner who can apply even pressure along the entire length of the bend while you torch the plastic keeping a uniform and consistant source of heat applied until you have achieved the bend or shape your desire.These types of plastics are also virtually indistructible but they are also a bit more costly. Wall thicknesses on these products can go up to several inches thick. remember you need too be careful working with HOT and nearly MOLTEN plastics. please get adult supervision if at a young age.

Source: http://www.wizdforum...php/t-4119.html

________________________________________________________________________________

I'm guessing you've got to get the radius and included angle pretty accurate otherwise the window is going to spend all it's time 'fighting' to get out of the rubber seal. It's already hard enough to seal a hole in a curved surface. I'm guessing a bit of experimentation might be needed. Could be worthwhile if you wanted to set up a Cottage Industry, not so if you were wanting to make just one.

Just my thoughts.

Looks like you got the same answer that I did Derek. I went to the local glass store, they have bent them using heat guns but said often they will craze a bit at the bend. They said a guy over in Medford Oregon used to do a great job bending it but retired, so there must be a few of those special people around here and there if you look for them. $375 seems way pricey

Just talked to Dean Elena at Advantage RV in Napa. He still owns the company, he still makes Sunrader windows and they are still 275 and 100 for installation. As far as the price, TAP plastics wanted to charge me 150 dollars just for the plexiglass sheet the size that was needed just to make the window. As far as whipping up one yourself, Randy in Salt Lake had his window guy, who has worked with plexiglass in the past, try to make one and he failed twice. It's a very large window and apparently not an easy job to do

Linda Scott

Did they indicate that Dean had departed with the molds and that Advantage RV could not supply replacement windows?

Well Derek is right when he asked if it has a compound curve, it does. It makes a 90 degree turn, but it also juts out more at the bottom than the top. If I was going to do it I would make a mock up of one, then cut some paper and wrap it around the mock up, then cut the flat plexiglass to match the paper, then mold the glass to the mock up curve, You would find that the paper would look something like a boomerang instead of a rectangle before molding.

Just talked to Dean Elena at Advantage RV in Napa. He still owns the company, he still makes Sunrader windows and they are still 275 and 100 for installation. As far as the price, TAP plastics wanted to charge me 150 dollars just for the plexiglass sheet the size that was needed just to make the window. As far as whipping up one yourself, Randy in Salt Lake had his window guy, who has worked with plexiglass in the past, try to make one and he failed twice. It's a very large window and apparently not an easy job to do

Linda Scott

Dean should let other employees know that he is still there. Maybe it was him who I spoke with and he just didn't want to talk -- Linda, thanks for clearing that up.

Here is what I wrote on Oct 21 in response to your suggestion:

I called up Advantage RV in Napa and was told that Dean was no longer there.

When asked, the guy said he had no forwarding information (I got the sense from

his tone that he actually did know but wouldn't say).

--- In toyota-campers@yahoogroups.com, "linda" <fly12fire@...> wrote:

why don't you ask the

> guy who made them. Dean Elena owns Advantage rv in Napa.

Very curious indeed.

I wonder if Dean would be up for some sort of "group buy" for windows. Mine are showing their age, and while still water tight I'd love to either have replacements on hand or just go ahead and put in some new ones now. Am I alone? If we could get the prices lower by promising a larger order...

-andrew

Dean should let other employees know that he is still there. Maybe it was him who I spoke with and he just didn't want to talk -- Linda, thanks for clearing that up.

Here is what I wrote on Oct 21 in response to your suggestion:

I called up Advantage RV in Napa and was told that Dean was no longer there. When asked, the guy said he had no forwarding information (I got the sense from

his tone that he actually did know but wouldn't say).

It turns out that the phone call was made to Adventure RV in Napa and NOT Advantage RV in Napa.

Mystery solved. :ThumbUp:

Andrew said "I wonder if Dean would be up for some sort of "group buy" for windows. Mine are showing their age, and while still water tight I'd love to either have replacements on hand or just go ahead and put in some new ones now. Am I alone? If we could get the prices lower by promising a larger order...

I would like one, the other is already new. I wonder how hard they are to replace, has anybody refitted one and did it come out water tight?

Andrew said "I wonder if Dean would be up for some sort of "group buy" for windows. Mine are showing their age, and while still water tight I'd love to either have replacements on hand or just go ahead and put in some new ones now. Am I alone? If we could get the prices lower by promising a larger order...

I would like one, the other is already new. I wonder how hard they are to replace, has anybody refitted one and did it come out water tight?

Turtle the owner of toyota-campers group at yahoo took both of his windows out to polish them and the reinstalled them. He purchased the rubber molding at a local auto glass shop. Built a scaffold to stand on to work. The molding is very water tight as long as you install it right. As far as a group order I'm guessing Dean wouldn't do it. Someone said the window was 300 in 2005 and now 6 years later it's still only 375. Not a whole lot of increase there. If someone wants to call though it can't hurt to try. I need 2 for a Nissan Sunrader I'm restoring and a friend of mine also needs 2 for a Toyota Sunrader 4x4 that needs major work. Let me know what they say

Linda S

a group buy is a good way to get the cost down...if Dean is up for it. i want 2 and would commit to that...who's gonna call him and check it out?? searching for the most persuasive membersmile.gif

a group buy is a good way to get the cost down...if Dean is up for it. i want 2 and would commit to that...who's gonna call him and check it out?? searching for the most persuasive membersmile.gif

Good resource. Wonder how much something like a new window would cost? $500 bucks a piece wouldn't surprise me.

Are your windows cracked or something? The rubber seal is really crucial and typically what fails on the corners in almost every one I've inspected. Personally, I'd fill them in as you describe if they are in poor shape. Heat loss as well as the potential for water damage to destroy your overhead compartment would seem worth the hassle to fill them in.

I agree, ours leaked at the seals lower outside corners because of age. Bad design. New windows if you can still get them from Advantage is pricey. I thing fiberglassing them over is a great idea. I have seen a few 91 and 92 done that way, it looks nice!

Turtle the owner of toyota-campers group at yahoo took both of his windows out to polish them and the reinstalled them. He purchased the rubber molding at a local auto glass shop. Built a scaffold to stand on to work. The molding is very water tight as long as you install it right. As far as a group order I'm guessing Dean wouldn't do it. Someone said the window was 300 in 2005 and now 6 years later it's still only 375. Not a whole lot of increase there. If someone wants to call though it can't hurt to try. I need 2 for a Nissan Sunrader I'm restoring and a friend of mine also needs 2 for a Toyota Sunrader 4x4 that needs major work. Let me know what they say

Linda S

Hmmm, I thought a guy by the name of Nate was the owner of "Toyota Campers" who was missing in action. He had made two others moderators Turtle and Tika. I might be wrong. But where and what happened to Nate?