21ft sunrader 4+4 conversion???

xtioga

I have begun to tear out the interior of the sunrader i purchased a few months back, after starting to remove all the stuff in her and daydreaming about the possibilities for the inside i kept thinking of the addition of a solid front axle 4 wheel drive conversion...i just happened to have an 84 PU sitting in the yard and it has a 5 speed manual tranny...i know it could be done by a custom shop but i don't have the money or the shop..but would it be functional or a overweighted turd going down the road??? it seems it could be done right and some weight removed from a thrifty remodel and it would be a cool thing to know you can drive out on that lonely baja beach without getting stuck...has anyone tried this? give me your 2sense...mine is spent...on a fancy 12v marine fridge...X

The stock 18' 4x4 sunrader is cutting it close with clearance/departure issues as it is. A 21' toyota motorhome prob has the same rear axle to cab dimensions? Meaning the remaining 3' is tacked on to the rear? I'm sure if you're looking for that extra push that can handle loose dirt and sand, I would imagine it would be beneficial. I've seen some big 30+ foot rental rv's in some very remote out of the way places, but it was no picnic getting them in there. Any chance to get a hold of a shorter rig to convert?

in my opinion, this is a bad idea. as has already been said, 21 ft sunraders have a serious rear weight bias.

this means two things. first off, they are surprisingly good at getting places in 2wd. it also means that you probably won't get a whole lotta benefit from getting the front wheels into the act. i have seen other c classes on the beach. none of them were 4x4.

what it comes down to is a lot of effort/expense for at best a slight gain in traction and at worst, screwing up a perfectly good sunrader.

if 4x4 toyhousing is an idea of yours, look for something smaller. i would love to have an old 4x4 chinook.

• 7 months later...

I couldnt disagree more, I have a F350 dually that cant hardly move on wet grass without engaging 4wd.

With that said I am doing the very same swap you mentioned, I am using an FJ80 front axle (wider than the mini truck axle by 4 inches per side and can carry more weight) this 4wd swap isnt to make it to be able to go "4wheeling" but to add a transfer case with a lower gear set added to it for extra manuverablilty when going down old roads or when parking.

Inclement weather is another reason to do the swap, if it snows and I am on the road at least I can get off safely and find a place to wait it out instead of being stranded or worse yet getting stuck on the snowy road.

Edited by Bryan B

as i just mentioned in your thread, comparing a 21 ft sunrader to an f-350 dually is apples and oranges. that f-350 has a long wheelbase and a big lump of V-8/10 over the front axle. With no load, it has a serious front weight bias. A 21 ft Sunrader comes with a ridiculous rear weight bias, standard, from the factory. I would be willing to bet that a 2 wd toyhouse with a limited slip rear would be better than a 4x4 one with an open diff.

if an offroad toyhouse is your goal, the 18 footer is the way to go or better yet a chinook/mirage.

I have been lucky enough to try out many different toyota motorhomes over the years, and no matter what the vehicle is, 4wd is a BIG advantage when you need it. There is no way a 2wd camper is as good as.

In a grassy paddock, on a beach, through a river, 4WD 4WD 4WD

If you stick to the road all you need is 2wd but very embaresing being pushed off a beach by the locals as they laugh at the dumb tourists, or make your wife drive while you try to push the camper off the grass because it rained last night. When we are in a 4WD camper we park where the grass is greener on the other side and we love it.and have never been stuck with a 4x4. New Zealand has many places where you need that little extra help getting there so I'll say it again 4WD is the way.

I have been lucky enough to try out many different toyota motorhomes over the years, and no matter what the vehicle is, 4wd is a BIG advantage when you need it. There is no way a 2wd camper is as good as.

In a grassy paddock, on a beach, through a river, 4WD 4WD 4WD

If you stick to the road all you need is 2wd but very embaresing being pushed off a beach by the locals as they laugh at the dumb tourists, or make your wife drive while you try to push the camper off the grass because it rained last night. When we are in a 4WD camper we park where the grass is greener on the other side and we love it.and have never been stuck with a 4x4. New Zealand has many places where you need that little extra help getting there so I'll say it again 4WD is the way.

exactlly, that little bit of insurance goes a long ways (better than walking to get a pull out or being stranded). weight aside dual tires distribute the weight over a larger area and tend to spin. do you wonder why the expedition trucks use such a narrow tire?

Iif duals get traction then one would think it would be wiser to use a wide tire or even duals for expedition use right? I know a 21 ftr isnt nimble but pushing one that wont move isnt a fun thing to do either. and snow..... well, thats another story.

100_2034.jpg

The one one the left is a factory Toyota LSD (limited slip differential) It uses clutches so it it is 'soft' so it won't (I hope) chatter too much on sharp turns... But if ever I need the traction... :)

If $ is no problem you can get an ARB Air locker. 100% full lock at a touch of a button :-)

I'd suggest that over a full 4x4 conversion if your only thinking about the beach or wet grass camping that is... :ThumbUp:

100_2034.jpg

The one one the left is a factory Toyota LSD (limited slip differential) It uses clutches so it it is 'soft' so it won't (I hope) chatter too much on sharp turns... But if ever I need the traction... :)

If $ is no problem you can get an ARB Air locker. 100% full lock at a touch of a button :-)

I'd suggest that over a full 4x4 conversion if your only thinking about the beach or wet grass camping that is... :ThumbUp:

good advice, and by the way I have 2 air lockers, 1 Detroit locker and 2 Truetrac limited slips in my other toyotas. I am very well aware of the traction that these provide. and I have found an 18 footer that I will be doing the solid axle/4wd conversion to. I am still doing a lexus V8 into my 21 ftr

Frankly I think it would be easier to put the body on a 4X4 truck. Spring hangers, steering linkage, drive shafts, transfer case, transmission etc..

good advice, and by the way I have 2 air lockers, 1 Detroit locker and 2 Truetrac limited slips in my other toyotas. I am very well aware of the traction that these provide. and I have found an 18 footer that I will be doing the solid axle/4wd conversion to. I am still doing a lexus V8 into my 21 ftr

wise choice, going with the 18 fter for a 4x4. take pics and post them. can't wait to see someone actually do a succesful lexus v-8. if it works well and isn't too difficukt, i might look into it for the odyssey.

When we are finished with our present 18ft sunrader rhd conversion we will be making this 21ft sunrader a 4wd one.

hmmm, sounds like a build off?! LOL here is a shot of lexus in my 92 toy 4runner(same exact engine compartment as the 89-95 toy mtrhomes

post-5618-0-44568300-1315989869_thumb.jp

Frankly I think it would be easier to put the body on a 4X4 truck. Spring hangers, steering linkage, drive shafts, transfer case, transmission etc..

no, actually same frame other than suspension mounts, a SAS (solid axle swap kit, IFS eliminator) would weld right up and just add transmission with transfer case then source some factory driveshsafts and the front will be balls on the rear will be custom length. 4wd solid axle swaps are all the rage for suspension travel in the off road world of Toyotas and very simple to do now.

here is a 92 4runner I did, that has the Lexus V8 in it, note the travel

post-5618-0-76415100-1315990241_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what kind of MPG does the V8 get? doesnt that defeat the entire purpose of a toy?

it gets better mileage than the V6 did that it came with, the V6 always felt like it was under load- when you let off the gas it would fall flat on its face, with the v8 it isnt working as hard to move the same amt. of weight.

The V8 weighs 60-70 LBs mess than the V6.

An added bonus is the LS400 has a120 amp alternator and the SC400 has a 170 alt. with the proper wiring it could be used to charge house batteries with ease.