Sunrader fiberglass body questions

I just brought home a new 1988 21' Toyota Sunrader here in Watsonville, and have 3 questions.

It came with a busted roof vent and I ordered a FanTastic fan vent. I've been told that one or the other roof vents has both 12v and 110v. I don't see any wiring. In the front (busted) vent I do see what looks to be a 1/2" copper pipe running through the plywood down towards the closet. I can pull it out, but not find the outside end above the ceiling. I see no wires in it. Any thoughts? I need 12v current up there.

Second, the step is damp, and the undercoating is pulling away from the bottom of it (It's not glassed.) The previous owner says he was told that some sort of drain conduit from the front windows (?) rand down to the step. Makes no sense to me. Thoughts?

Finally, I have some leakage around windows. Can I just pull the screws from the inside of the frame and pop them out, run silicone under them and put them back or is there more to it?

Thanks

I just brought home a new 1988 21' Toyota Sunrader here in Watsonville, and have 3 questions.
It came with a busted roof vent and I ordered a FanTastic fan vent. I've been told that one or the other roof vents has both 12v and 110v. I don't see any wiring. In the front (busted) vent I do see what looks to be a 1/2" copper pipe running through the plywood down towards the closet. I can pull it out, but not find the outside end above the ceiling. I see no wires in it. Any thoughts? I need 12v current up there.
Second, the step is damp, and the undercoating is pulling away from the bottom of it (It's not glassed.) The previous owner says he was told that some sort of drain conduit from the front windows (?) rand down to the step. Makes no sense to me. Thoughts?
Finally, I have some leakage around windows. Can I just pull the screws from the inside of the frame and pop them out, run silicone under them and put them back or is there more to it?
Thanks

There are no 12 volt wires to the roof vent areas. I wired mine to the nearest light fixture running the wires along the ceiling. You can cover them with tape but I just used wire clips stuck to the ceiling. I don't konw where the water at your step is coming from. There is no way it's coming from the cab. More likely its just the underside of the step is rotted and it's coming in from holes that are there in the fiberglass. Step is removed in one of my Sunraders and there are screw holes and a step light hole ect. Your windows need to be all removed and resealed. I used butyl tape on mine. It lasts much longer and it's not as hard to use as many people think. Trick is to put it in the fridge before you try to work with it. It's also available in white which I think looks better than the gray putty stuff. I will be in Watsonville on Dec 12th at Pinto lake if you want to come by and ask questions. you can email me at
Linda S Edited by linda s

When I added the power vent to the front, it was a good excuse to buy an electrical fish tape. Ran a wire down between the window the cab, and in the ceiling thru a gap in the insulation next to one of the wood stringers.

I was figuring to to the same for the new back vent, but when the square dropped out, WOW, there was a capped off 12V wire built into the ceiling right nest to the new cutout. I replaced the caps with terminals, and I was good! No idea why they put the un-used, extra wire in the ceiling, but I was happy.

I have the original brochure, and it specifies that all of the models are "pre-wired for roof air conditioner." When I pulled my rear roof vent I found no wiring, but I did find what looks to be a piece of 1/2" copper pipe coming up through the plywood roof from the driver's side and terminating in the middle of the vent cutout. I am going to run a fish tape down it. I would bet that it originally had 110v wiring in it, as there is a funky junction box in the closet for 110v wiring to a microwave. I hope to be able to just snake some 12v wire up the closet and through the roof if I can find the other end of the conduit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Regarding the interior step, maybe I can help (having just been down to the bones of my Sunrader this spring). The fiberglass shell does have a channel that runs from under the front overcab windows down the edge and under the interior step. There are drain holes in the bottom to let any minor drips exit. The step is just a piece of plywood suspended off the fiberglass on two wood runners.

I took a bunch of photos during the restoration... you can see the channel down the side of the overcab bunk in photo 18/19.

If the step is damp, I would certainly investigate the front windows. They leak (it is a feature). I had mine resealed using some 3M sealant which seems to be holding up just fine. But it is a maintenance item, for sure. Another culprit is the clearance lights above the window. Resealing those is another butyl tape project that isn't particularly difficult.

Replacing the step itself is a piece of cake, except for the bazillion staples that are in the original carpet. And you might just find the weep hole(s) underneath are clogged.

-andrew

• 5 months later...

Regarding the interior step, maybe I can help (having just been down to the bones of my Sunrader this spring). The fiberglass shell does have a channel that runs from under the front overcab windows down the edge and under the interior step. There are drain holes in the bottom to let any minor drips exit. The step is just a piece of plywood suspended off the fiberglass on two wood runners.

I took a bunch of photos during the restoration... you can see the channel down the side of the overcab bunk in photo 18/19.

If the step is damp, I would certainly investigate the front windows. They leak (it is a feature). I had mine resealed using some 3M sealant which seems to be holding up just fine. But it is a maintenance item, for sure. Another culprit is the clearance lights above the window. Resealing those is another butyl tape project that isn't particularly difficult.

Replacing the step itself is a piece of cake, except for the bazillion staples that are in the original carpet. And you might just find the weep hole(s) underneath are clogged.

-andrew

-andrew

If you find the ac 110 wire for the air conditioner you can tap unto that to run your vent.

Just reconnect it at the power center from 110 to one of the 12 volt fuses.

I did it on mine. Easy solution. for the center vent area.

In the rear you can remove the vent and drill or push your way to the nearest light for power.

Henry