I just recently purchased a 90 dolphin with 90000 miles on it. It runs fine and most of the appliances work. I noticed when I bought it that there was a leak and the guy told me that it was repaired. we just had a rain and I quickly realized that there was fresh moisture by the bed over the cab I spotted a crack in the old caulk on the roof.

I want to re-caulk the roof.

What do I use to get the old caulk off? What do I use for caulk? I saw somewhere on this site about using Geocel 2300 but it runs very expensive and I cant seem to find it locally.help.gif is there a cheaper alternative?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Bilo

i will be doing the same on my 86, simply using a old screwdriver to scrape and remove the old caulk, some acetone to clean the area and then GeoCel ProFlex RV, its about 8 bucks a tube, you should be able to do the whole RV with two. 

I have used Silicone in the past, unless its painted it doenst handle the UV too welll and collects dust. 

• 1 month later...

I just recently purchased a 90 dolphin with 90000 miles on it. It runs fine and most of the appliances work. I noticed when I bought it that there was a leak and the guy told me that it was repaired. we just had a rain and I quickly realized that there was fresh moisture by the bed over the cab I spotted a crack in the old caulk on the roof.

What do I use to get the old caulk off? What do I use for caulk? I saw somewhere on this site about using Geocel 2300 but it runs very expensive and I cant seem to find it locally.help.gif is there a cheaper alternative?

Bilo

3M's 5200 is the best out there, once, it's on it's on and seals like a nothing i've ever used....

• 2 years later...

I've tried Proflex and it's not as flexible as the original caulk from Winnebago. Has anyone tried Sikaflex 221?

3M's 5200 is the best out there, once, it's on it's on and seals like a nothing i've ever used....

Do you know if 3M 5200 remains soft and flexible afterward?

just finished with cabover rebuild

3m 5200 is the best!! it takes 7 days to cure it is very hard once it dry's

only soft for first couple of days depending on outside temp..

if done rite no water will get pass 5200.. :)once dry's

Do you know if 3M 5200 remains soft and flexible afterward?

I used old fashion scrapper and some gonk off ..if that did not clean old silicon try a little gasoline on a rag and clean (use caution with gas)

What do I use to get the old caulk off? What do I use for caulk? I saw somewhere on this site about using Geocel 2300 but it runs very expensive and I cant seem to find it locally. :help: is there a cheaper alternative?

Bilo

I don't doubt the 3M 5200's ability to keep water out but it's non UV tolerance and if it's hard, would it crack on these RV's movement? I think 3M 5200 is great for strong bond that's out of the sun's sign

I ordered a tube of Sikaflex-221 just to try out.

Proflex tends to harden over the time too otherwise it seems to work great and cheap as well.

From what I researched, Winnebago uses NF-311 (NuFlex 311) on some of the newer RV exterior caulking. I ordered 2 tubes just to try out as well. They are only $5.50/tube from trailerrvparts.com

For roof seal, I used Dyco 20/20 but it seem to get hardener over the time too. Time for me to try out some Dicor stuff and see what happens

Pro seal 34 or 230 have worked great for me.

OSI QUAD works very well. I had to remove a steel roof from a building that was sealed with Quad for 5 years. This was an exterior roof exposed to direct sunlight and winter temps down to 30 below 0 F;. After 5 years it was still pliable, i.e. no cracks and had the consistency of used chewing gum. Great adhesion, never hardens, and obviously handles expansion and contraction well. Steel roof does a lot of that in temps that swing from minus 30 F to 100F. It is what I'm using on my Toyota Chinook. Locally available since Home Depot sells it and also - when dry - it's paintable.