a/c questions

Went for an overnight outing in our dolphin and it seemed the cab dash a/c was not able to keep it cool yet it ran a lot of condensate out of the drain. Could it be low on freon? The duo therm briskair unit cooled quite well in the coach but after about 2 hours condensate started running from the light fixture behind the unit. Do they have a drain tube that could be clogged or do they normally just run it out across the roof? Any ideas on either would be helpful. Thanks Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Went for an overnight outing in our dolphin and it seemed the cab dash a/c was not able to keep it cool yet it ran a lot of condensate out of the drain. Could it be low on freon? The duo therm briskair unit cooled quite well in the coach but after about 2 hours condensate started running from the light fixture behind the unit. Do they have a drain tube that could be clogged or do they normally just run it out across the roof? Any ideas on either would be helpful. Thanks Bill

every one I have seen drained on the roof - whichever side is lowest.

I'd dare to say you have a leak - either the seal for the A/C unit or the roof.

as for your dash unit -- a clogged drain line can do that as can a frozen unit. With a frozen unit after shutdown as the ice melts the water will poor out.

I once had an old trooper that froze - when I felt the airflow slow down I would switch it off for a few minutes and when the airflow starting coming back I would turn it back on.

If the drain line is clogged you can wiggle it(from under the hood) and probably get it to flow enough to confirm that it is restricted.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told (dash A/C) that low freon can cause the evaporator (hope that's the right name, inside the dash) can freeze over, so maybe your right on track with that, You gotta call a local A/C auto service tech and find out. I had my 86 changed over to the new freon (forgot the number). The guy changed out the oil in the system so that it was compatible with the new freon (and old). He said it was the oil that carried the freon through the system. Worked great until we sold the rv two years later.

The roof A/C should have a drain hole that allows the condensation to drain onto the roof. Most likely plugged. You will have to go up there and pull off the cover and have a look see. But there is a possibility that the gasket between the A/C and the roof is bad which is allowing water to seep in. Check the drain holes first. Most RV parts houses have replacement gaskets. They are not expensive but it is a rather tedious (back work) job to lift the A/C off the roof and replace it. Let us know what you find is the culprit!

Yes Greg is right low charge level will cause the evaporator to freeze in humid weather. The jury is still out but so far I have had good luck with a product called freeze 12 it according the the company that makes it is compatiable with R12 and mineral oil. There are many posts on the web about adding freeze 12 some say you have to purge the system the company says no I did talk to them and they gave all the right answers. It has worked fine in mine all summer I can't recommend it because it's only been mine for a summer but I'm nice and cool in the cab and I did not have to dismantele the system to convert to R134. Greg is also right about the roof A/C it does drain on to the roof it's a simple task to deal with the gasket just takes some time every thing you need to remove is under the cover inside the MH then just lift the A/C unit off the top.

The cab air is designed to cool a pickup cab. Its nowhere big enough to cool the coach.

What I do is hang a clear shower curtain across the back of the cab. It will let the cab A/C cool the size space it was designed to cool.

If you have somebody in the back then it may not be a good idea, depends on how hot it is.

WME

Yes Greg is right low charge level will cause the evaporator to freeze in humid weather. The jury is still out but so far I have had good luck with a product called freeze 12 it according the the company that makes it is compatiable with R12 and mineral oil. There are many posts on the web about adding freeze 12 some say you have to purge the system the company says no I did talk to them and they gave all the right answers. It has worked fine in mine all summer I can't recommend it because it's only been mine for a summer but I'm nice and cool in the cab and I did not have to dismantele the system to convert to R134. Greg is also right about the roof A/C it does drain on to the roof it's a simple task to deal with the gasket just takes some time every thing you need to remove is under the cover inside the MH then just lift the A/C unit off the top.

When I had the 86 switched to the new stuff it was purged of as much of the old oil as possible. The mechanic suggested doing this then add the new type of oil that is a type that will mix in a compatible way with the old. I was told that it was the oil that actually carried the freon through the system. Our present 91 has all new or I should say empty components and so it was easy to just charge it with the new stuff.