Larrabee State Park RV Camping WA.

We just returned form a test weekend of camping with our two young kids. We wanted to know if having two small (One and Three years old) children would be too much to deal with for longer trips in a small camper. We picked a place close to home for us just in case we had to rush home if they were screaming or would not settle down, etc… We had great news for us as they behaved just like they were at home and both had a wonderful time! The price for the full hook-ups is a bit steep at $33/night (booked on-line) for what we got, but we were happy we went there. My complaint with this is that the pull-through sights are really at a steep angle, having only stacking blocks to put under the tires makes this a bit of a challenge to level it off. I had to use every scrap of wood I could fit under the tires, plus the jack for the last little bit.

100_9810.jpg

The happy campers

100_9794.jpg

The levelling feat, notice the difference in left and right too!

Was all this effort made in order to have the fridge level? If so, Norcold says to level within 3 degrees. Over the typical 137" wheelbase, that's around 7".

LEVELING

Comfortable vehicle leveling is well within the refrigerator's operating requirements of 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (looking at the front of the refrigerator). Continued operation outside of these limits can result in irreparable damage to the cooling system.

I'd suggest that you intentionally park your MH where there's a 3 degree slope just so you can get a feel for how 'OFF' is 'Off'. I think you'll find it's quite a bit. (A 3 degree slope is around the same as a 5% grade.)

Was all this effort made in order to have the fridge level? If so, Norcold says to level within 3 degrees. Over the typical 137" wheelbase, that's around 7".

I'd suggest that you intentionally park your MH where there's a 3 degree slope just so you can get a feel for how 'OFF' is 'Off'. I think you'll find it's quite a bit. (A 3 degree slope is around the same as a 5% grade.)

I like to sleep all leveled out... but Yes, I also level for the cooking and cooling appliances... I have a Dometic fridge, it that the same?

Thanks!

Andrew.

I love happy stories. So glad the little Bunneys had a good time! (Aren't you glad you spent so much time playing with your Lincoln Logs as a child??? That leveling job was genius! )

I like to sleep all leveled out... but Yes, I also level for the cooking and cooling appliances... I have a Dometic fridge, it that the same?

Thanks!

Andrew.

I've looked at several Dometic manuals and all they seem to say about leveling is that the MH should be 'comfortable' when parked to operate the fridge safely. That's why I looked at the Norcold info. I'm an engineer, so I like numbers! 'Comfortable' is nice, but too vague!

... before you start the refrigerator make sure the recreational vehicle is leveled to be comfortable to live in.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned form a test weekend of camping with our two young kids. We wanted to know if having two small (One and Three years old) children would be too much to deal with for longer trips in a small camper. We picked a place close to home for us just in case we had to rush home if they were screaming or would not settle down, etc… We had great news for us as they behaved just like they were at home and both had a wonderful time! The price for the full hook-ups is a bit steep at $33/night (booked on-line) for what we got, but we were happy we went there. My complaint with this is that the pull-through sights are really at a steep angle, having only stacking blocks to put under the tires makes this a bit of a challenge to level it off. I had to use every scrap of wood I could fit under the tires, plus the jack for the last little bit.

100_9810.jpg

The happy campers

Hi there you guys - SO happy the kids did well and everything went OK. What an incredible job of leveling! We always get within the recommended limits (3 degrees front to back and 6 degrees side to side) because our rig came with an Instamtic refer and the company has been out business for a long time. The fridge works really great, so we are very careful to run it as level as possible ( can't afford a new one!). We have used the "Lynx Levelers" for a long time and they are a little easier than wood blocks.

We hope you have many more fun camping trips with the kids - they will remember and appreciate it for years to come.

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

We hope you have many more fun camping trips with the kids - they will remember and appreciate it for years to come.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill! :)

Yes, we are planning many more camping trips with the kids! I have very fond memories of camping with my sister, mom and dad when i was young. We had a 1972 Toyota with a slide-in camper... It must of been small... but my parents took it/us everywhere... I guess this is where I get my love of Toyotas from :)

Take Care.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

I use the plastic drive on ramps used for changing oil I can gain about 8" and if one side needs to be higher then the other I just put it ahead of the other one. So far I have been able to level it all most every where I have been and I'm with you it drives me nuts if it's not level when I'm trying to sleep. People have a pretty good sense of level after all we manage to stay up right and I feel if I'm comfortable so is my fridge.

• 6 months later...

Hello Bunneys!

Larrabee is my old neck of the woods. Lived in B'HAM for 22 years, sure miss that area.

I hope you went to the beach at low tide and saw the life in tide pools and south of the beach went out on the big rock and watched the sun go down.

Glad everything went well with unit and the kids!

Roomballd

I hope you went to the beach at low tide and saw the life in tide pools and south of the beach went out on the big rock and watched the sun go down.

Roomballd

Yes, we went down to the beach. No easy feat with a wagon filled with all the kids food toys and stuff... but we did go down and we saw the sea-life :). We were a little scared of going in because of a few huge jelly-fish :-) but we did get our feet wet... Sadly, we could not see the sunset, the kids were sound asleep. We will have to go back some day to see that!

We are looking forward to this years adventures... (Birch Bay, Vancouver Island and a few others) the littlest one is 2 in July and his sister will be 4 !!

Our home is only 4 miles away from the border, so we cross the line all the time!! :ThumbUp: