I saw an ad claming to get 190hp out of a Toyota 3VZE 3.0L V6 with RV cams. Now I'm not necessarily sold on their claimed numbers, but an RV cam did increase bottom end torque on my 22RE and since I am rebuilding my 3VZE and installing headders I thought this would be a good time to put in some low end torque cams. I called the engine seller. It turned out to be a machine shop in the Portland OR area, and asked "do you sell the cams seperately?" Answer: "No". Do you make the cams on site? Answer: "No". Can you give me the name of the supplier? Answer: "No because they are a competitor." Huh? If you won't sell the product seperately how can they be a competitor? Answer: "Sorry". Sooo does anyone out there know of a supplier of say 260-268 duration and about .420"- .430" lift with around 40-43 overlap in other words RV cams for the 3VZE V6??? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The only cams I know of for the 3vze are regrinds of the stock cam. No off the shelf cams.

Most of the 4x4 folks swap in the 3.4L V-6 its stock 190 hp

The only cams I know of for the 3vze are regrinds of the stock cam. No off the shelf cams.

Most of the 4x4 folks swap in the 3.4L V-6 its stock 190 hp

Not to veer off the subject but I wonder if that would be smog legal here in California. A bigger motor would be nice. I am more curious than really going to do it.

I don't know if contacting a supplier in Portland OR means that you live in the area but have you tried Northwest Off Road

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/ ?

www.yotatech.com has also been a good resource.

I met someone passing through here with a Toyhome that had the 3.4 liter installed. He said that his gas mileage dropped to 12MPG but it was substantially faster on the highway.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but it may help in your search:

http://www.engnbldr....ta-Hotlicks.htm

http://www.lcengineering.com/

Thanks for the reply wickerman. Sorry I took so long to write this. I have been away for a while. I talked to Tod at engine builder. He said that they can regrind the stock cams and reharden them. Mine are pitted and unuseable. For now I decided to go with a new pair of cams from Japan Engine in San Leandro CA. I also just found a good used pair at a local dismantler and will get them as soon as the rain stops (Oregon) and have them reground. Thanks for the tip!!!

Arevee87

I don't know if contacting a supplier in Portland OR means that you live in the area but have you tried Northwest Off Road

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/ ?

www.yotatech.com has also been a good resource.

I met someone passing through here with a Toyhome that had the 3.4 liter installed. He said that his gas mileage dropped to 12MPG but it was substantially faster on the highway.

Thanks for the reply. I will contact northwestoffroad and see what they have. I have contacted engbldr.com and got a favorable response there too. Installing a 3.4L would pretty much require a donor vehicle as it has distributorless ignition and speed signals from the trans. and speedo head requiring the 3.4L harnesses and ECU. A tempting thought. With the head gasket and valve "tuliping" issues that the 3.0L has it's not one of my favorite Toyota engines, but with too many other projects waiting I need to button this one up. I'm hoping that MLS head gaskets, stainless valves, Downey headers and conservative driving will do the trick.

Thanks again Arevee87

Wish I knew, but I'm curious about you 22r RV cam experience. Did it lower your MPG? Thanks

Hi ILIA

I didn't do any before and after mileage comparisions, but I haven't noticed any change on trips from Oregon to central California. I still make it to the same town to refuel with about the same amount of gas in the tank. I mostly keep it at 55-60mph on the highway, but its nice to feel that extra little "kick in the pants" when taking off from a stop. Thanks for responding Arevee87

Not to veer off the subject but I wonder if that would be smog legal here in California. A bigger motor would be nice. I am more curious than really going to do it.

As long as everything engine electrical, mechanical and smog equipmentwise is working Toyotas pass smog tests with flying colors. I was a smog tech for more years that I care to remember in the San Jose area and a mild cam like the RV cam would not even be detectible. Most RV's won't fit on the smog dynos in the enhanced areas so they get tested the old fashioned way with a two speed idle test. I remember testing a late 80's Sunrader with a 22RE, The owner told me that she really liked her new RV camshaft. It passed fine. Now my disclaimer is that I have been out of the game since 2006 and I haven't kept up with any changes since. Nowadays here in rural OR its more like smog? smog? seems to me that I've heard that somewhere before, hmm, may have to look that up in the dictionary.

THANKS to everybody who replied to me.

Arevee87