Peak Wireless Backup Camera

I guess it's time I quit lurking and post something useful. I just finished installing a Peak wireless backup camera with 7" LCD monitor in my 92 Warrior. I am very impressed with this system, especially since it costs less than $80. Installation was not much of a problem. I just wish I had this 17 years ago when I bought my Toyota.

Here is a page I created at google sites to show what I did.

Backup Camera

I hope nobody minds that I also posted this info on the Yahoo Toyota Group.

Kevin Miller

Kevin,

That was an awesome presentation! I've now added the back-up camera to Sadie's wish list.

(My husband thanks you... wink.gif )

shanda

I install this unit at the top of my motor home - wires routed down the fridge chase - not only is it a back up camera - I use it full time, attached to my rearview mirror (on windshield) for a full view of what is behind me like the rear view mirror, only no obstructions of the bath and small window.rolleyes.gif

• 8 months later...

Sorry to say that this camera is no longer available from the person I bought it from. They are still available on Ebay from other sellers.

I have a backup camera also. In my opinion it is a must for everyone. It really is a wonderful thing. Not sure what brand my camera is (ebay still have the box if anyone is interested) but I have it mounted above the rear window looking down. It is 170 degree field of view, I can see my taillights and over 100 feet behind me and can literally back right up to something. My screen is actually a Pyle DVD stereo that has a 7 inch screen. Really can't live without it. My wife is asking for one on her SUV! Speaking of that I think it was 60 mins did a piece on rear view cameras. They placed a huge number of kids behind a SUV and non were visible via the mirrors.

• 2 months later...

I have an 89 Sunrader and mounted my camera on the front of the rear bumper (sewer line case) with an aluminium mount bar and 2 stainless screws. 170 degree field and I'm able to back to within inches of a rock.Most monitors have backup camera inputs so it's an easy wired install. You may need a set of extension RCA jacks to lengthen the cable. It's about $75-$100 and is unbelievably clear. It's been a real bumper saver.....Jack

• 2 months later...

I guess it's time I quit lurking and post something useful. I just finished installing a Peak wireless backup camera with 7" LCD monitor in my 92 Warrior. I am very impressed with this system, especially since it costs less than $80. Installation was not much of a problem. I just wish I had this 17 years ago when I bought my Toyota.

Here is a page I created at google sites to show what I did.

Backup Camera

I hope nobody minds that I also posted this info on the Yahoo Toyota Group.

Kevin Miller

So, it's not wireless?

• 2 months later...

Now they are wireless & cheaper http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W6LGGS/ref=asc_df_B001W6LGGS1366492?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001W6LGGS

Electronics are about the only thing getting cheaper & better

One of these even replaces the rear view mirror, turns on when in reverse, turns back to a mirror when you shift to drive. Perhaps if I wait a week the price will come down and they will add a neck massager ?

The reviews say that it is a tough install, very poor instructions, wrong wire color instructions, and you know somehow you are going to have to tie into a switch that detects reverse gear. That said, once you get it hooked up the view should be great, and the LEDs at night a plus also.

I think the typical install for these reversing cameras is to splice in to the reversing light circuit, which is usually close to the license plate light.

And if you like lots of blinking lights, you could add in one of there, too.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=&cat1=Car%20Security&cat2=Reverse%20Parking%20Sensor%20Systems&model=PLPSE4P

• 1 month later...

Hi Kevin Miller,

Quite sometime ago, I was looking at your post on the back-up camera. I was so impressed by your write-up. I went on e-bay and found a wireless Peak back-up camera.

Unfortunately there were no instructions with it. A week or so later, I went back in the site where I saw your write-up and it is no longer viewable.

Is there anyway that you could send me this info??

Your help would be most appreciated.

thanks,

John Thomas

jocar37@tds.net

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevin Miller,

Quite sometime ago, I was looking at your post on the back-up camera. I was so impressed by your write-up. I went on e-bay and found a wireless Peak back-up camera.

Unfortunately there were no instructions with it. A week or so later, I went back in the site where I saw your write-up and it is no longer viewable.

Is there anyway that you could send me this info??

Your help would be most appreciated.

thanks,

John Thomas

jocar37@tds.net

You might be able to find some info here on installation http://www.peakauto.com/electronics-back-up_systems.shtml?reload

• 4 weeks later...

The Pyle 7" Mirror Monitor Night vision back up camera is down to $69 delivered now. Got one coming to install early April

http://www.amazon.com/PLCM7200-7-Inch-Mirror-Monitor-Rear-View/dp/B000E1PXES

I think I am going to mount the camera inside / top of the rear window along with a spotlight. I want to be able to run the camera full time while driving to see what is behind me and run the light on demand at night. So I will hook up with two dash switches, one for spotlight, one for camera. Last weekend I hooked up the harness for the trailer and included a reverse switch wire which I may wire to a second spotlight. I can use the inside spotlight at night while camping if anything goes "bump" in the night. I see Greg has started a trailer thread, that is next on my list.

I have a hard wired one on my MH and a stereo with a 7" screen it had a reverse hook up wire but I left it off so I can view the camera any time I want by calling up the camera screen. I just bought a new Tacoma and with the SR5 package it comes with a reverse camera and a little image in the rear view mirror when you shift into reverse boy that is some nice for hooking up trailers!

I am just now installing the PLCM7200. I have power to the camera & to the screen. I have signal wire from camera to screen. I am temporarily giving power to the screens green wire buy linking it with the red (+) wire, to avoid finding the reverse wire. The plan is to put a switch between the green and red by the dash. I mounted the camera inside at the top center of the rear window & ran the signal wire through the overhead cabinets, over the door, down & under the front overhead bed mattress so it comes out about a foot behind the rear view mirror on the cab cealing. I am grabbing 12V power from the cigarette lighter socket up front for the screen, and from the rear central light fixture for the camera.

BUT it is NOT working...

The screen lights up and I can run it through the functions of: "Brightness" "Color" "Camera Orientation" "Hue"

But it won't let me change from Signal source #2 to #1 & says "No Signal"

Screen says it is on V2 and there is "no signal".

Neither the remote or the screen buttons will switch signal from V2 to V1 source cord.

Both the screen touch pad and the remote will do the other functions like "brightness" "color", but won't let me switch to the camera source.

Now what?

PS: whoever said the instructions are worthless was correct... For instance there is a power cord for the camera in the box, and a place to plug it in on the camera. But no instruction to ever plug it in to the camera or where to get the power.

Well now for no reason that I can think of... It IS Working, strange

maybe it just needed to know I cared?

Someone asked me the other day "How olde are you in Dog Years?"

I said "I'm going on 419"

I was just thinking this electronic dodad is like putting glitter on a 175 year old (dawg years) and asking them to get along...