New join dolphin owner and sunrader interior height wanderings

Hello everyone!

Girlfriend and I are hooked hooked hooked on the Toyota RV lifestyle after buying a dolphin unseen in Utah and driving it up to Skagway, Alaska 

We loved everything about her (cleo dolfeeno) except the leaky seams and the lack of 4x4 

We've been oggling and oogling and seen some magical sunraders which solve both these problems bit we're both just under 6 foot and would love a little insight from owners about if this is a deal breaker? 

Thanks so much and so stoked to be a part of this community 

IMG_3106.JPG

Edited by chadsam

• chadsam changed the title to New join dolphin owner and sunrader height wanderings

Welcome!

Not sure what you are asking. You say you have seen Sunraders that solve the 4wd and height issues, meaning you'd be happy with those.  Then seem to ask if that height would work for you two? More clarity?

Posted (edited)

@MaineJedthanks we shall do! Gotten many a compliment about the old girl and if it weren't for the leaks and lack of 4WD we'd never think of changing it up  

@IdahoDoug sorry I meant the height in the motorhome portion, as 6 foot tall people will we be bonking our head on all the roof or just the AC?

Edited by chadsam

• chadsam changed the title to New join dolphin owner and sunrader interior height wanderings

Others with stock ceiling height may be better qualified. I am in midst of a full renovation and took the time to arch my ceiling with 14 curved aluminum spars and guess I have 6'1" headroom (I'm 5'10"). I dont know what stock height is but perhaps someone will grab a tape measure and tell you?

From the specs sheet I have it looks like all interiors are 6'. However pre 1987 there was no roof supports added so a lot of these have collapsed or sagged over the years. I believe (and maybe Linda can confirm?) that '87 and onwards there was at least 1 if not 2 roof support beams that helped prevent the roofs from sagging. On my '85 it was sagging at least 5-6" although I was able to regain that by rebuilding the roof with metal supports. Hope this helps

Sunrader Specs.jpg

Yes, 87 and on 1 roof support in 18 footer and 2 in the full sized ones. Not all of them sag severely though. I think my 86 has only about a half inch of sag. Last boyfriend was close to 6 foot and he wasn't bumping his head. Original poster should think more about a Sunrader 4x4 choice. It doesn't have a V6. Only choices are 22re and a very few turbo 22re's. Not a lot of power. Also they sell for a ton. Friend sold his a few months ago for $34,000 and I've seen some sell for more. Makes looking into a 4x4 conversion look more affordable

Linda S