I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined. I've always wondered about the wisdom of some car engineers when it comes to parts placement. That really has rung true with the placement of the fuel filter on the 22 RE motor. Who in their right mind places a fuel filter under the intake manifold and above the starter? Not to hard a job until you try to remove the starter and can't get to the top starter bolt. If anyone has a simple way to get to the fuel filter short of removing the intake manifold, or a way to bypass the old filter so I can bolt a new one on I'd be very grateful.

Universal fuel level sending units aren't universal. Toyota steering linkages and universal joints are NOT made to be greased. I wonder how long the factory grease will hold up? Hmmm, now where are those parts to the lug wrench so I can pull the tires? Toyotas must have been made for people with smaller forearms than me.

Just some ranting after a trying weekend. On a positive note, the tranny filter has been replaced and I'm just waiting for the new tranny temp gauge so I can install that. The fuel level sending unit seems to work. :ThumbUp:

Toyota steering linkages and universal joints are NOT made to be greased. I wonder how long the factory grease will hold up?

I took no chances and installed premium U joints from Napa. They have the grease fitting threaded into the race instead of into the spider. This makes it MUCH easier to grease. I think they were 24 dollars a set.

post-2143-1245038992_thumb.jpg

There should be a small plug with a hex head on the suspension points. Remove it and install a Zerk fitting. Grease the joint remove the Zerk and put the plug back in. Its sorta of a PIA but you only need to do it every 3-4 years.

Got the ball joints greased. I left the zerks in place so I won't have to replace them next time. I actually considered drilling out the backs of the tie rod ends so I could install a zerk and grease them but decided against it.

The fuel filter has to be the winner. Toyota does a better job of hiding fuel filters then any one. Perhaps they would get changed more often if you could get the $#@% changed before the sun went down!

Hey...another reason to buy night vision goggles...at least that is another reason that I tell my wife...still do not have a set...:-(

Dennis...

The fuel filter has to be the winner. Toyota does a better job of hiding fuel filters then any one. Perhaps they would get changed more often if you could get the $#@% changed before the sun went down!

Got the tranny gauge installed yesterday, filter and fluid changed, new radiator installed, new fuel level sending unit installed. The toy is ready to roll with the exception of the fuel filter. I guess I'll give it another look today and see if there is any way I can get to it and get it replaced. I really think it is the stock filter.

• 6 months later...

I guess the good thing about the fuel filter on my 22r engine is that it is simple to locate and replace. It's right under the truck, behind the pas seat. :ThumbUp:

Tudy

Got the tranny gauge installed yesterday, filter and fluid changed, new radiator installed, new fuel level sending unit installed. The toy is ready to roll with the exception of the fuel filter. I guess I'll give it another look today and see if there is any way I can get to it and get it replaced. I really think it is the stock filter.

Hi Lance,

I noticed you live in Fayetteville, N.C. I also have a 1986 Coachman (Shasta) which I purchased in late 2009 and I live in Erwin, NC which is only a few miles away. Ironically, after reading some of your posts I had some of the same problems (battery isolater, cruise not working) with my toy. My toy is a 22re with automatic. Luckly mine had a trans cooler and warning light installed when I purchased it. I am currently in the process of doing some upgrades on the interior.

I would think your unit and mine would have alot of similiarities, wiring, problems, etc.. Being these Toy's are new to me maybe we can get together one day and share some information.

Unfortunetly I have been having problems trying to post photos.

Ranger

• 1 year later...

Hi Lance,

I noticed you live in Fayetteville, N.C. I also have a 1986 Coachman (Shasta) which I purchased in late 2009 and I live in Erwin, NC which is only a few miles away. Ironically, after reading some of your posts I had some of the same problems (battery isolater, cruise not working) with my toy. My toy is a 22re with automatic. Luckly mine had a trans cooler and warning light installed when I purchased it. I am currently in the process of doing some upgrades on the interior.

I would think your unit and mine would have alot of similiarities, wiring, problems, etc.. Being these Toy's are new to me maybe we can get together one day and share some information.

Unfortunetly I have been having problems trying to post photos.

Ranger

/;Hi Ranger,

I also have a 1986 Coachman and used to live in Erwin. I now live in Fuquay Varina. Sounds like we have the same unit. Contact me at pheckerson@fhotmail.com if you would like to share info.

Thanks,

Phil

Some folks remove the front passenger wheel and the inner liner and gain access to the fuel filter that way.