Hi folks. Spent some time scrolling through various threads but life is short. So, I will jump the line and ask my question.

I have a 1983 shorty Sunrader with 22r and a 4spd manual. 

The rest axle is out of an 87 and has a 4:88 rear end. I would like to swop in a 5spd. What are the options beyond the L52? What years of 4Runners would have comparable transmissions? The more options I have (years/vehicles) the more likely I can find one locally. 

On the automatic trucks the ones that came with the Turbo 22RE were a bit beefier, I imagine the same will be true on the manual ones.  This is a slightly obscure question, but I bet there is a chart/lost around somewhere.   Google this:  1983 Toyota pickup 4spd to 5spd swap  (No sarcasm or snarky meant by that lol)

IIRC the 22RE-T (turbo truck) had a lower first gear.  Pretty sure it was just 4x4 though, and I know they all most all got scooped up for rock crawler builds….(I am personally still looking for one tho if anyone knows of an available one!)

So that’s probably a totally useless suggestion on my part.

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions and links. I will continue the hunt.