Batteries not charging, Replaced many things.

AbleThought

Hey all, hope all is well. My 83 toyo sunrader batteries aren't charging. Ive replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, checked the fuse box ( don't seem to have a charge fuse), the duel battery relay. I also checked the fusable link at the driving battery +post, which is fine and i cleaned up all the grounds I can find… what else is there?!? I am getting just battery voltage 12.5v at alternator posts. What else can I try? both batteries are not charging at all.

22-r motor… carbie

Thanks!

Edited by AbleThought

11 hours ago, linda s said:

Sounds like you got a bad alternator. Another member had to go through 3 before he found one that worked properly. Take it back

Linda S

I was afraid of that. Thanks Linda. Have you heard of people recommending not buying the alt from a parts store but instead a rebrushed alt from toyota? Im curious why people seem to be adamant about that ?

I think the most important thing is to buy local, simply because so many of these seem to have flaws. You need to return it easily.

NAPA carries an alternator from Denso and that is pretty much OEM. 

Alternator - Remanufactured DEN 2100112 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

Truth is when I changed mine, I bought a very expensive one from an auto parts store who mainly serviced professionals. It didn't work.

Replaced it with one from Autozone that is still working fine more than 15 years later. Ya just never know. 

Linda S

does anyone have an 83 2wd 22-r that would be willing to take a picture of their alternator plug for me? green plug. this is my third alternator and third voltage regulator and something is still wrong! voltage regulator smoking. just need to see the F N E plug and verify this is what its supposed to be. 

Lt blue to N

green to F

black to E

You need a 6 wire voltage regulator if your alternator uses the green plug.

Early Toyota used a 5 wire voltage regulator. If your VR is 5 wire, the green plug alternator won’t work. You need the older style alternator.

Your vehicle is late enough in production that it would use the 6 wire VR.

Edited by fred heath

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 11:51 AM, fred heath said:

You need a 6 wire voltage regulator if your alternator uses the green plug.

Early Toyota used a 5 wire voltage regulator. If your VR is 5 wire, the green plug alternator won’t work. You need the older style alternator.

Your vehicle is late enough in production that it would use the 6 wire VR.

Hi Fred, I do have a 6 wire voltage regulator, I have gone through 3 new ones in the past two weeks and am still getting high voltage at the batteries. also 3 different alternators. I cant figure out the problem. I think a good place to start is to test the voltage regulator to see if i keep getting duds or if there is something else wrong. would you potentially know what each lead specifically does? a schematic?  or a way i can test the thing and see if its functioning properly? At this point im just throwing parts in here and cant pinpoint the problem. Im getting 17+ volts at batteries.