1985 Toyota Escaper Automatic Transmission leak

Transmission has had a leak ever since I bought it. I’m trying to find out where it’s coming from. What is this that I have circled, a gasket or a bushing? How do I remove it?

CE6686C6-2D96-4353-B76D-9D099DF7E819.jpeg

Edited by hamkid

Your picture doesnt help - perhaps a description of it?  Is that a hex shape, or just a round object protruding from the middle of the circle.  If hex, looks like a fill plug.  And again - your picture - did you clean it off? Or is that silicone all over it like someone else tried to fix a leak?

Here is a picture from a detailed diagram of all the parts. You can see the thing that looks like a plug clearly. 

It is not a plug. It's just part of the case. The diagram shows no parts that plug into this. It is not something that can be replaced.

Linda S

Entire diagram

A40 | A40D | A41 | A42D | A42DL | A43 | A43D | A43DE | A43DL | A44D | A44DL | A45DF | A45DL | A46DE - Toyota | Lexus - Automatic (norcaltransmissionparts.com)

image.png.04725404d789783fc9cd5e3460adf4c0.png

Well, if it's got rubber around it, then that's a seal for a metal part that has a function.  Sometimes on an engine block there are holes in the case needed to drill oil galleries or other features that then get a metal plug designed to be permanent. Often Allen screw plugs.  But this is something different.

BTW - it's now quite clear someone smeared a rubbery sealant there to try to stop this previously, so I'm assuming your "rubber" comment is not simply that sealant but in fact a true black rubber seal UNDER the sealant someone applied?

The good news is if there's a rubber seal there, you may be able to track down a new seal.  The bad news is it may require opening the trans to replace it.

One other comment worth mentioning.  Fluid level in that trans is no deeper than the pan, so it's well above the level of tranny fluid when not operating and should only be getting splashed on the inside, vs submerged.  So confirm the tranny is not overfilled.  Finally, almost all drive train components (trans/diffs, etc) will have a vent on their top to prevent pressure buildup when they get up to hot operating temp.  These vents can get plugged and cause internal pressure that will push fluid out seals like this one.  So, see if you can find that vent and confirm it is not plugged.  It will be a short metal cap about the size of a tire filler cap.  It should "jiggle" and not be stuck in one position.

When you say “opening the trans to replace it” would you say it’s possible to get to it by just draining and removing the pan or actually opening the whole dang thing?

Will the vent plug be similar to the vent plug on the differential?

Edited by hamkid

For now I’m just going to replace the pan gasket to see if it leaks less, then try to find the vent plug.

Edited by hamkid

I don't know how deep you'd need to go after taking the pan off.  It may be the opposite end of the shift selector or something, which would require removal of the selector shaft.  But if you can see/take a pic up there with the pan off, it may solve the mystery.

Still trying to get you to confirm something, btw.  Is there a seal under there or is there merely smeared rubbery sealant there?   

RE the pan - is it leaking from the pan gasket?