New lock for camper door

The lock on the camper door for my 78 Galavan needs to be replaced.

I've read through a few threads here and there, and here's what I've found:

1. The original is a Bargman L-300
  2. There are some replacements out there, like the Tri Mark 33677-01-K and Bauer BP-12RV

Measurements

1. Current interior cutout: W 3 7/8 x H 4 3/8
  2. Current exterior cutout: W 4 3/4 x H 4 3/4
  3. Recessed area: W 5 3/4 x H 5 3/8

My entire lock unit is recessed a bit, which I didn't see in photos from other threads, so with the recess I don't think the replacement locks with a rounded shape, like the Bauer, will fit.

Is this something The RV Doctor can help with? Thoughts?

PXL_20230708_005426321.jpg

PXL_20230709_204621126.jpg

PXL_20230709_204641406.jpg

Edited by blackmedal1942

What’s wrong with it? Why does it need to be replaced?

You can disassemble the entire unit for repair. The internals are fairly easy to rejuvenate.

18 hours ago, fred heath said:

What’s wrong with it? Why does it need to be replaced?

It offers little to no security as basically any key can turn and unlock it. I was hoping to get a more modern and secure unit in its place.

Make the cutout the size you need. White plexiglass frame glued into the recessed portion or larger one bigger than recessed, glued on with an inside opening the size of the lock you buy. Probably need one on the inside too. Fit any lock set you want.

I would take your vintage one apart first and see if I could find a tumbler that would fit it. A working one is worth hundreds on eBay.

Linda S

2 hours ago, blackmedal1942 said:

It offers little to no security as basically any key can turn and unlock it. I was hoping to get a more modern and secure unit in its place.

Any locksmith can rekey that lock. I’m not sure a replacement lock will be as durable. It’s your choice.

10 hours ago, linda s said:

Make the cutout the size you need. White plexiglass frame glued into the recessed portion or larger one bigger than recessed, glued on with an inside opening the size of the lock you buy. Probably need one on the inside too. Fit any lock set you want.

I would take your vintage one apart first and see if I could find a tumbler that would fit it. A working one is worth hundreds on eBay.

Linda S

8 hours ago, fred heath said:

Any locksmith can rekey that lock. I’m not sure a replacement lock will be as durable. It’s your choice.

I had to get some separate keys made today at a locksmith and chatted with him about the Galavan's lock assembly. He said to bring it in and there's potentially a couple of options:

1. Repair the pins so there are fewer keys that will be able to unlock it.
  2. Replace the tumbler with a newer one that fits and has a more robust locking mechanism.

Maybe more options once he looks at it.