Ease of maintenance vs speed

6 Cyl has more power than the 4. I think those of us driving the 22re's would notice the power difference far more than someone not familiar as the 6 is not a power horse either. Fuel economy is very comparable; heard similar numbers from people with both. The machines with the 6cyl are slightly newer.  Read about far less DIY with the 6. The notion is the motor fills the engine bay more making all tasks of maintenance/repair more challenging. The motor also is not as simple. Smaller campers in general are easier to work on as you can use standard car/truck jacks, stands, etc... to get work done at home. 

From experience I know the 22re is a pleasant motor to work on; I've been in there a lot! 

ive driven both motors in motorshomes and box trucks, with auto transmissions, several years in each. i found the 3.0 much easier to drive, and quieter. Both motors had there problems at times, but nothing too serious, timing chain guide issues on the 22re and waterpump on the 3.0. In my opinion the 3.0 is not much harder to work on than the 22RE, but it is different. Most 3.0s on the road have had the head gasket issue fixed, but that is something to look out for.