GENERATOR

DRG567

my onan 91 vintage is much louder than these new gen sets,anything i can do to make mine quieter,ty

What model of Onan is it???

A year and a half ago I drained my oil and filled it with pure STP. That made it quite a bit quieter. Many people said it would harm it but I've had no problems yet. I still find it too noisy to be of any use though. The only thing it would ever be needed for is the AC.

Edited by comfun1

I think a good portion of the noise is mechanical. There are some exhaust extension tubes you can buy that put the exhaust above and pointed away from the rv, not sure if that would help. Best choice of course would be invest in a new quiet model, pricey though.

We have an Onan in our '84 Dolphin. It doesn't run and we haven't looked into getting it fixed. Everything I've read about these older generators is that they are definitely noisy. We will never use ours and would like to have it removed. Just how much trouble is it to do this? It would be nice to not have to cart around something heavy and useless to us. Plus we would have a bit more outside storage where it now sits.

Dianne

What model of Onan is it???

ITS A 2.8 ONAN 91 MODEL

If it is a Microlite 2800 then you can add the Onan after muffler.

If its the old 1cylinder with the engine exposed then your stuck.

We have an Onan in our '84 Dolphin. It doesn't run and we haven't looked into getting it fixed. Everything I've read about these older generators is that they are definitely noisy. We will never use ours and would like to have it removed. Just how much trouble is it to do this? It would be nice to not have to cart around something heavy and useless to us. Plus we would have a bit more outside storage where it now sits.

Dianne

You can do someone a favor and list it on ebay or craigslist and sell it to someone who needs it. If you don't mind removing nuts and bolts, a gas line and some wires, then pulling it up through the couch or dinette(it's heavy)it's not bad. It can be pretty greasy and oily but it washes off.

Wow maybe I'm lucky my Onan is very quiet it's a microlite and if I am on the other side of the MH I can barely hear it. It is not a quiet as a Honda in a suit case but not bad. It is in a nice sealed case and has a huge muffler (well huge for a little engine) Wonder why yours is noisey?

Mine has a huge muffler also and if I'm on the opposite side and back 150 ft it's not bad. I don't want to sit inside and try to watch tv or take a nap with it and the ac running though.

• 3 months later...

Dianne

Dianne: I have a 1985 21' Mini Toyota and would love to have a generator for it. Want to make a deal? Where are you located? We are in the Pittsburgh, PA area. wilsel@verizon.net (Bill)