Sunrader coach dimensions

ACar

Hey guys, newbie here. I've searched through I dont know how many threads and have only come up with the interior glass-glass width of the sunraders (~80"). Would anybody have a way of measuring the length of the coach? 18' and 21' if possible. I've got a crazy dumb idea for a build up, given that I can find one and convince the gf, but am missing the most crucial measurements. Thanks in advance. 

-August

Here's the overall length of both from the factory brochure

Linda S

image.png.457109c071dbba51ce25fe4bc785bb6d.png

Oh just realized you wanted the coach length not the overall length. I can measure the length of my front bumper to the back of the cab today and you can just subtract that. I'm assuming you don't need the overhead section included.

That would be awesome. I tried to find the pickup cab length online and somehow no one has posted those numbers. And no on the overhead section. Thank you. 

I just lifted my entire shell off of the chassis.{1982 Sunrader). I can get pretty much whatever bare interior coach measurements you need. Just let me know.

Bob the Builder, I could use pretty much every coach dimension. Not too worried about height as I'm 5'7" and my gf is 4'11" but I hear it's around 6'-6'2". Rough calculations based on the length chart and cab length that Linda posted (thank you again!) put the exterior coach length around 116". Cabinets, bathroom, countertop, fridge area measurements would be helpful. Also the question of "has anyone stretched the wheelbase on the 18' and lived to tell the tale" floats in my mind... 

Acar, I have mine stripped entirely to the inside walls all the way around and suspended off of the chassis. Keep this in mind when I give you the measurements. Do you want the measurements at floor level or middle of the walls? They change as they go up. I will measure any dimension I can, just making sure we are on the same page. You give me what you want, and I can do them tomorrow. The measurements that I have now are at 5 inches below floor level which will me my new floor height, so I will make new measurements at exactly where the floor was attached as I haven't shaved that off yet. Also, I don't think mine is an 18 footer. My inside floor, extreme rear to inside bulkhead center length is 147ish. Some length stuff might not help you but I will do what I can.

Big question. Stretched the wheelbase on the 18? Are you aware that the 18 footers are in the most demand? 

They easily sell for 5 grand more than a full sized one in the same condition. Someone posted on this site last year asking for 

close to twenty grand for an 84 in not great condition. We kind of told him that. He sold it in 2 days. They are very much in demand

Linda S

Acar, I have many, many measurements. I will post a few now and we can work from there. I am not sure how they determine an 18 footer, etc. I don't know if they are measuring total length including chassis, or??? Any measurements I give unless otherwise stated are from bare walls inside.  At floor level:  Back wall to bulkhead @ center opening 148".   Back wall to wheel well rear side L&R 57 3/4". Front wall to wheel well front side L 58 1/2", R58". Wheel well across front to back L&R 31 1/2". Wheel well from wall to inside L 18 1/2", R 19". Wall to wall across: along back wall 76 3/4", back of door opening 78 1/4", front of door opening 80 1/4", back of wheel wells 80 1/2", front of wheel wells 80", across top of wheel wells 81 1/4".  across floor @ bulkhead opening 78 1/2", across the overhead opening @ upper level 79 1/4' @ the middle of the side windows in overhead 78".   Floor to ceiling height (Inside of lower side ridges), @ rear 72", @ rear of wheel wells 71 1/2", @ front of wheel wells 71 1/2", @ center of coach side windows 71". I'll stop here until I get some feedback on what else you might want, (I have more). But don't want to confuse the issue.  The overhead ridge that drops down in the ceiling at the back on either side and runs up to the overhead is 4-4 1/4" tall and 71" across inside @ the center of the large side windows. Ceiling height and ridges taper into each other at the pass-thru bulkhead.

Linda, unfortunately I am quite aware of the 18’ rarity. On the other hand, I know of 2 currently for sale for less than 7k. Essentially what I would like to achieve is a 137” wheelbase on the 18’. I figure that would locate the rear wells somewhere around the beginning-middle of the dinette bench. It may even give me some more stability for towing and will absolutely provide a better departure angle. It should be noted that I’m not in any way a purist. I sincerely hope that doesn’t rub anyone the wrong way here. If I did end up with an 18’ it would be modified into whatever abomination occupies my brain. Resale be damned. 

Bob the Builder, thank you for all the numbers! I could almost build a whole coach based on you provided. That may be the better option for me… 

No problem Acar, just let me know if you need other numbers. I'm going to keep these around, they might be handy for someone else also.

Well Acar you're talking about adding over 2 feet to the frame. Maybe ok on a Peterbuilt but on a Toyota I think your pushing the safety limits. 

Also remember your going to have to install a custom axle. Not cheap by any means. 

Maybe if you could find a 137 inch frame already together like this

Pick-n-Pull | Vehicle Details (picknpull.com)

Of course don't know how much is left of it but I bet the frame is still intact. 

I very much don't understand why you wouldn't flip the cheapy Sunraders. You could make enough profit to pay for

your whole project. You sound like someone with the skills to do that

Linda S

Just in case, fyi the 1986 Escaper I owned had a 147" WB. To gain that 10" the reinforcement plates were 18" long