In the process of installing this axle in my 1985 21’ Sunrader. I have a few questions. I ordered the old man emu CS010r leaf springs. The air lift 57113 air bag kit. And the prothane polyurethane bushing kit. I read on here about issues with the bushings for the leaf springs not being correct. The prothane kit isn’t made for the 1 ton. The front leaf spring mount and pin are different compared to the 1/2 ton rear axle. The kit comes with 8 sets of one size, 4 of the other, and sleeves for the leaf springs. I measured the pins and eyes in the spring. They are actually all the same size on the 1 ton. I reached out to them and ordered 4 more of the U-60269. They worked if anyone runs into this

I installed the axle with the air bags on. The instructions tell you to line the airbags up and the drill the 3 mounting holes. The top bracket is about 5” from the frame. I tried inflating one to see how much they raise up and at 90 psi they are still roughly 2” below the frameA746ABC9-ED31-4A0C-9773-E14AE3394A23.jpeg.ee548bb794d8590bc7e4657a8eb7c9b8.jpegF25903F9-E53C-40C3-8A25-2141B53EA75E.jpeg.0d64bdf78aeff427faf4c334ce4d02d2.jpeg

I’ve read on here about these leaf springs and airbags being installed. Has anyone else came across this.  I’m guessing the leaf springs will settle out a bit once I drive on them, but I can’t imagine 5”

The donor axle I installed came with a rear sway bar. My frame has no mounts on it for the links. I drove it home about 5 hours through a whiteout snowstorm and the wind was blowing me all over the road. Ive owned rv’s before so I get that they catch wind, but was thinking a sway bar would help. Does anyone have the sway bar on theirs. If so, does anyone have some pictures of where the link mounts are welded to the frame. 

Thanks Mark

It looks like your still up on jacks. You're going to have to lower it until the bracket reaches the frame. Going to make 

a big difference once you lower 4000lbs on it

My sway bar attaches with bolts that go through the frame from side to side with bushings on the inside.

Pretty sure most of them attach with just bolts but mine is different than the standard ones. Maybe a Sunrader

curiosity. Need to see yours to see how it should attach

Axle looks nice. Good job

Linda S

i see your shocks aren't mounted. they might limit the axle drop.  my sway bar end links are like linda says

Thanks Linda. I figured it would be easier to clean up and paint while I had it tore apart. TP tools is right down the road from me and they have a line of paint rust protecting paint with UV protection added so you don’t have to topcoat.

I fuIl had a jack under the pumpkin and jacked it up until it was off the jackstands. I was thinking that would be the same as it sitting on the tires. I’m going to remove the airbags for now and install the new brake hardware,hubs, and tires. Drive it around and see what I get. 

I will take some pictures for the sway bar mounts. My original setup didn’t have a rear sway bar. I looked at a few diagrams from Toyota parts websites. It looks like they used almost like a shock mount welded to the frame with 2 bushings. Similar to the front shock top mount. 

The rear sway bar can be mounted 2 ways.

1. Like the front, the crossbar is mounted to the frame and the arms to the axle.

2. The cross bar is mounted to the axle and the arms are mounted to the frame.

Both work equally well. Of course you will need bushings, brackets and end links to match your install.

Here are the pictures of the rear axle and frame. The sway bar came with the new axle still attached so I was able to see how it attaches to the axle. I guess I’m trying to determine where on the frame to position the mounts the links go in. 889A66BF-E242-4324-A6EA-691E73410C89.jpeg.f8aa7060a65b42d6f0a2169a08053284.jpeg0AD7BC82-575D-4DA0-A462-ECF1E39190DD.jpeg.e715cb99864d4d3d4cd912f3c658624d.jpeg0AD7BC82-575D-4DA0-A462-ECF1E39190DD.jpeg.e715cb99864d4d3d4cd912f3c658624d.jpeg

994E6A7A-6683-423C-8B14-BACE866B76FA.jpeg