Planning to leave for a camping today after the rig has been sitting winterized for a couple of months.

I wanted to check if everything is working ok and when I tried to start the car, I only hear a clicking sound, nothing else (see video). I jumped the battery but this is not the problem. The lights turn on nice and bright.

I tried to start it in park as well as in neutral since someone else in the forum said that this solved their issue.

Any idea what that could be? It sounds like the sound is coming from an area under the passenger dash.

Thanks,

Nico

Thank you. After looking at some videos, I suspected this to be the case as well.

I had my wife try it so I can see where the sound is coming from and for whatever reason, she was able to turn it on and got it running. 

Some videos suggest that it is the starter contacts. I might switch them out but for now will see how it goes.

Common issue on the older starters. There is a copper disk inside of the plate on the back of the starter and two contact studs, You will find the studs pretty beat up, the round disks on the older ones could be turn over and the studs could be removed and turned 90*. Seems like yesterday but it's been a couple decades since I used to repair them! They actually are pretty tough starters same ideal is used today.

Good Morning KonCon,

I'm new to this site and may I say folks have been very helpful.  Yes, could be the starter.  I had it occur a couple of weeks back when working on my fridge.  I have a cut-off switch on my engine compartment battery.  Wasn't making good contact with the terminal thus clicking sound at starter.  I originally thought the starter until I went back to step one.  Cleaned the terminal and cut-off and working just fine.  Hope it's that simple for you. 😉

Next time it happens try this,

Just tap the body of the starter while someone turns the key, if it starts then you know for sure it is the solenoid sticking. I have that issue with mine and it happens after around every 20th or so start up. I plan to remove and clean or replace starter if it ever gets worse.

You can use a hammer or long pipe or just about anything to give the starter a couple good raps on its side.

Thank you. I read that somewhere else? Where is the starter located? I want to get better knowledge about the motor of the truck and all the pieces because I would like to improve these things. Not sure where to start though 

You mentioned a battery drain and you had to attach cables when you tried to start it. If your battery is really drained trying to jump start it doesn't work right away. Your battery has to recover some and it will still click for a while. Your wife started it sometime later. Were the cables attached the whole time? If you have a charger, charge your battery up all the way and see if it starts or clicks. Just don't want to have you tearing your rig apart if it doesn't need it

Linda S

• 6 months later...

I took a look today under the truck because I was thinking taking care of the starter contacts now while the power steering box is getting rebuilt. Is it possible to get it out of the bottom of the truck? It looks really tight in there and I wasn't really able to find any place where I think the starter could come out 

After having to tap the starter every 15 or 20 starts to get it to engage I finally took the starter out and cleaned it but that was not the problem the problem was the solenoid wire that plugs into the side of the starter  was just snugly laying in the connector and not snapped in all the way.

I have the 6 cylinder and the only way to get the starter out is to turn it and work it up next to the the exhaust header after removing the exhaust header heat shield.

I hope you have small hands it's not easy.