Changing out engine

davenethel

I'm looking for some input on swapping out the 4 cylinder, standard shift engine on our 1986 Dolphin for a V-6.

I'm looking at a refurbished 1968 volkswagen ragtop bug to purchase and I want to tow it behind my motorhome. The 4 cylinder is not recommended for towing. Has anyone swapped out the 4 cylinder for a six? Were there any problems?

Edited by davenethel

I THOUGHT these units where not made to tow

Major project. No matter what the engine it would not be safe to tow any thing that weight you'll never stop it, handling issues, frame issues not a good plan.

Even if you changed to the GM V-6 4.3l to get enough power to tow, you don't have enough brakes to stop both cars.

As I stated elsewhere, the ring gear in the rear axle can get ground down from too much stress. There probably are other parts that are at their maximum load.

It is unlawful in all states to tow vehicles without a remote braking system like the brake buddy. Some states allow you to tow very, very light trailers without remote braking.

Most states have NO law on Towd brakes or they only apply if the towd weighs more that 3000lb.

I've got an '84 Dolphin with the 22r 4 cyl., 4speed and the couple I bought it from towed an older VW bug and hauled a Honda 90 on the rear rack. She said it would pull at 60mph on flat without probs. I looked closely at the frame and mounting of the receiver hitch when I bought it. I see know stress or damage to the original frame. If you choose to tow, common sense and driver caution is the key!!!

Good luck, have fun, and smile.

I have been towing two four wheelers through the mountain passes in Colorado and New Mexico with my '86 Escaper 4cyl 4sp no problems other than a bit slow.

I pull a hay wagon with my 97 Tacoma the truck it is rated 3,500# tow weight the hay wagon goes 7,000+ it will pull it but it won’t stop it so I drive d---- slow. The Toyota MH is right at max with every thing drive train included it is not safe to pull any kind of weight with them there is just not enough brakes and you have an extra two feet or so of added on frame that multiplies the tongue weight and stresses the frame extension factory recommended tow weight 0#. I know it’s cool to take your toys with you but it not a good ideal.

i saw an itasca today v6 pulling a car dolly with a mazda miata on the dolly :Poster_oops:

Thanks so much for all your comebacks.

Looks like I may be cycling instead of driving for transportation.

Thanks again and Happy Motoring!

Dave,

If you have money, you can tow. You need money though and if you have money you wouldn't be driving a toyota. However it can be done with the right inteligence, upgrades etc. I'd go diesel though and brake assist is a must. You won't be able to to a Unimog, but you could tow a car.

Money my friend.

Dave,

If you have money, you can tow. You need money though and if you have money you wouldn't be driving a toyota. However it can be done with the right inteligence, upgrades etc. I'd go diesel though and brake assist is a must. You won't be able to to a Unimog, but you could tow a car.

Money my friend.

I disagree with your statement. Lack of money and Toyotas do not necessarily go hand in hand. There are people with money that still choose to drive a Toyota. It might have something to do with not wanting to be like everyone else in RV Land.

Towing a car using an A frame puts no tongue weight on the tow vehicle. But the weight of the toad is a real concern, we are on the final leg of a 4,000 mile trip towing a 1,000# trailer with no brakes. We have been through mountain passes over 10,000' with no probs. BUT, I have tons of experience with logging trucks and big vehicles, and going down hill, I use the engine to keep the speed down, sometimes leaving the truck in 1st gear if the downhill is steep.......Tony

Towing a car using an A frame puts no tongue weight on the tow vehicle. But the weight of the toad is a real concern, we are on the final leg of a 4,000 mile trip towing a 1,000# trailer with no brakes. We have been through mountain passes over 10,000' with no probs. BUT, I have tons of experience with logging trucks and big vehicles, and going down hill, I use the engine to keep the speed down, sometimes leaving the truck in 1st gear if the downhill is steep.......Tony

Thanks for the info. It's a big help. I have experience as well driving and towing. It makes sence what you say about using lower gears to slow down the vehicle. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again

I'm looking for some input on swapping out the 4 cylinder, standard shift engine on our 1986 Dolphin for a V-6. ...any problems?
Tons.. :)engine swap @ Yotatech
I'm looking at a refurbished 1968 volkswagen ragtop bug to purchase and I want to tow it behind my motorhome.
ragtop = convertible? or the sliding ragtop? They make those in 68? Bugs are pretty light, but prob not light enough. A diesel might be able to do it as Mikesta suggested. I read about a guy @ toyotadiesel.com that claims he tows this huge boat down to the boat launch. I think the boat launch is about 2 miles from his house if I remember. Oh and it's in Tahoe at high altitude as well. It too was an engine swap. I think it was an LT not the KZ or whatever the blasted motors are called. Somewhere in the Swap section there as well.

How about some Scooters!? Or maybe an ATC? Those can get kind of heavy too I suppose. Maybe a cabover on a pickup w/ hydraulic lifts/stands? I'd show you my own hack project for the park-and-go setup, but its still quite a work-in-progress. :)