Has Anyone Imported a Camroad from Japan?

saxjonz

I searched and saw this discussion from 4-5 years ago. I have been looking at picking up a Camroad. I see several sites, some have the same pics and different prices which seems a bit suspect. I am really curious to know how much it would cost after purchasing to get it shipped, delivered to a port of call, namely Long Beach, Ca. Does anyone here have experience with this task?

Cheers,

Lawrence

This is a very expensive and complicated process. There are licensed dealers who import Japanese vehicles and make sure what your buying has been inspected first. The big question with a Japanese vehicle that was never originally shipped to the US is where are you going to find someone to work on it? Very few American mechanics would even be willing to look at it. Certainly not worth their time to learn all the ins and out of an engine they might never see again. All parts needed would have to be imported too so no quick fixes. 

There are so many motorhomes now being built on Mercedes, Ford Transit and Dodge Promasters. Used prices on these are not much more than a much older Camroad

Linda S

Pretty sure no one here has a Camroad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Linda, after contacting several companies there, I have a price for one after taxes and shipping has been figured in. 20K delivered to Long Beach.

The Toyota 2.8 Diesel engine is very common here. Other than that, it's an RV so I assume that whatever breaks can be easily sourced. I have never taken my car to a mechanic to get fixed nor will I ever. I have worked on my own vehicles since I was 16 so I can say with confidence I am no stranger to anything related to mechanics of any drivetrain. There are actually a few Camroads here that I know of, I am surprised that I haven't seen any mention here.

FWIW Mercedes is junk, Ford is complicated, and Chrysler/Mercedes is basically the same junk owned by same company. The difference in prices is not what I am considering. I am considering something reliable vs junk that will rust out. If US had an RV that was as reliable, I would not hesitate to buy one. Japan fills that void and as such I will import.

3 minutes ago, saxjonz said:

Thank you Linda, after contacting several companies there, I have a price for one after taxes and shipping has been figured in. 20K delivered to Long Beach.

The Toyota 2.8 Diesel engine is very common here. Other than that, it's an RV so I assume that whatever breaks can be easily sourced. I have never taken my car to a mechanic to get fixed nor will I ever. I have worked on my own vehicles since I was 16 so I can say with confidence I am no stranger to anything related to mechanics of any drivetrain. There are actually a few Camroads here that I know of, I am surprised that I haven't seen any mention here.

FWIW Mercedes is junk, Ford is complicated, and Chrysler/Mercedes is basically the same junk owned by same company. The difference in prices is not what I am considering. I am considering something reliable vs junk that will rust out. If US had an RV that was as reliable, I would not hesitate to buy one. Japan fills that void and as such I will import.

Edited by saxjonz

I hope you vetted your supplier very well because that's less than I see Camroads sell for not including shipping price. 

As for the 2.8 being common, no engine not originally sold in the US is common. Since we have difficulties finding parts for our made for the US engine, I can't imagine finding parts for an imported one. Not like you can go to a dealer or auto parts store. Expect a wait while it's being shipped from Japan. I actually have sourced parts for ones no longer available here from Japan and a few other places. It's doable unless you're on the road traveling. 

By the way, my neighbors 2002 Sprinter has 250,000 miles on it and had never had any major service issues. The Dodge Promaster is not associated with Mercedes in any way. Dodge is owned by Fiat not Mercedes

Do let us know how this all turns out. Just because we don't currently have any Camroad owners here doesn't mean we wouldn't welcome you. 

Linda S

You sound invested in the Camroad idea and it will be cool to see if you get one. If you're still considering options (and not the old toyota motorhome options) pickups with slide ins are something to consider. You can then choose the truck base you feel comfortable and confident with, and many slide in camper models to choose from. You can then have portions of your vehicle made/assembled in America if that is important to you.  I know it's not a ground up motorhome and therefore not the same aesthetic, but a very practical option. And the slide ins are very nice these days.