n believeable Blow Out tire took my whole electric wiring system

Perry

post-2332-1232846603_thumb.jpg 23 Jan Friday.....Rear Tire blew out of Corpus Christy,Tx on the way home yesterday. Broke open the compartment where the docking cord was 15 ft Plug. It wedged between the dualies. and wrapped around them then it jerked out the entire wiring harniss I mean....everything. then the big cord proceeded to beat the wooden wheel well out and throwing debris between the couch and the entire cabin. tore off the dump pipes, broke off two braces and most of th cabing floor behind the Inverter, pulled out all of its wires. Can't make this stuff up. .....Holy S....

Don't know if I want to fix it.

Finally got the Genertor right. Onan, told me over and over just replace the carborator on the Onan Micorlite 2800...so finally I did. They were right. So $235.00. and it starts from the inside switch.... If only I had an electrical system now.

Anybody Got any parts? Inverter? Wiring harness. rpbarth@yahoo.com

post-2332-1232846687_thumb.jpgpost-2332-1232846090_thumb.jpgpost-2332-1232846208_thumb.jpg[atta

chment=876:P1230059.JPG]

Hey Perry,

My condolences.

Unreal, so hard to look at,... but fixable.

Rebuilding the wheel-well will be time consuming, but you have one to copy. (And you can make the new one better to boot )

The siding work will be the priciest I think. I'm no wizard and have zip cred here, but it seems to me you need a punchlist/pricelist before you commit. Check these guys < http://www.all-rite.com > for your main structural pricing on siding and RV-only material to get an idea of where you'll land on building materials price.

Don't know where you live, but they're real nice folks and it'll give you a reality check before you have to figure out what YOUR TIME is worth.

RV Doctor George or some other salvage yard can round up a lot of the other stuff and the harness may be something you can farm out to an electrician who needs the work.

It's ALL do-able, good luck,

Toyoguy

Wow that is crazy I had a tire blow out on me and I guess I got luck besides getting ripped off more that I ever have from a tire shop in Kingman AZ. Does the harness control the brake lights? Should not be to hard to rewire as for the wheel well that is a huge job. Maybe now is a good time to wire up some solar panels.

Good luck

Oh, my Perry, those pictures do look awful. What damage. Hard to believe, but there it is. So glad no one was hurt except your Toy motorhome and your wallet ... a big OUCH. Sure do hope you are able to have it fixed as you have a beautiful MH and would hate to see it end this way. Please keep us advised as to what you do. We're all pulling for you and hope things are fixable and perhaps, even better than before. :rip_1: Not yet, hopefully!!!

Dianne

Perry-WOW! I've seen some blow out damage over the years.

Every one is correct.Take it apart,look at the damage and make an informed decison.

I've restored a lot of cars and you have to weigh the repairs against the replacement cost.

My trade,for fourty years,was restoring antique furniture.I learned over those years there was very little that can't be repaired

When you have to make a part for something made in the 13 hundreds and it of course has to be perfect it makes your hand shake as bad as yours must be.

YOU CAN DO IT.

Steve.

Wow that is very traumatic, I thought our little fender bender was bad but that looks tragic, so sorry to see that. I may invest in some kind of metal lining for my wheel wells now, maybe some thin galvanized steel or something.

I am sure there are glass guys that can rebuilt the shell ( maybe boat repair shops), but man that has got to be expensive. I had a friend in California that was a whiz with wire harnesses, he rewired my brothers van (the entire wire harness shorted, melted, black char) so I am sure it can be done. AND there is some links on this site for the schematic on most of these rigs or at least I thought I saw one for my Sundrader.

Good luck on the fix

Perry, man!, sorry to see that. :( Those are very graphic pix. At least no one got hurt. It's hard to think that a ply from a tire can do that kind of damage...but it did! and I guess it can happen anytime. Thanks for sharing P. and the awareness.

Now folks, sorry for my ignorance, but what are the most common causes of a blow out?...and why is it more common on a dually?...aside from the obvious(ie. replace old wornout tires), how can a blow out be prevented?

I am no tire expert, but I would guess a few causes could be;

-most people put low miles on their RV, so the tires look good but may be ten years old and dried out.

-over or under inflated tires

-road hazaards

-tires rubbing on the rear duallys, because they are the wrong size or improper inflation.

-under rated tire or not load rated for an RV

I wish I knew how to tell if a tire with good tread is too old and needs to be replaced, the only thing I can think of is to look for cracking.

There is a DOT number on the tires, the last four digits tell the week and year

the tire was made. For example 2204 is the 22 week of 2004.

Dennis...

I am no tire expert, but I would guess a few causes could be;

-most people put low miles on their RV, so the tires look good but may be ten years old and dried out.

-over or under inflated tires

-road hazaards

-tires rubbing on the rear duallys, because they are the wrong size or improper inflation.

-under rated tire or not load rated for an RV

I wish I knew how to tell if a tire with good tread is too old and needs to be replaced, the only thing I can think of is to look for cracking.

what are the most common causes of a blow out?...and why is it more common on a dually?...aside from the obvious(ie. replace old wornout tires), how can a blow out be prevented?

this is a great question that deserves its own thread/ sticky

^

I dont know the answer to this but it seems that you should be thinking about this EVERYtime you take a yodahome on the road....

I have heard that if one tire gets low and makes contact with the other dual-tire it can be bad news quick...

two days i slid on ice the other day and bounced the front pass. tire of a big old dodge 1ton truck broadside against a curb

and low and behold the tire went so flat it came right off the wheel... !

• 3 weeks later...

WOW!!

Sorry about that but thank you for sharing the photos.

I'm surely going to replace my tires this season. I don't know for sure how old they are yet,

but they have some weather checking and I see clearly that tires can be a whole lot cheaper than

the damage a bad one can cause.

Thanks again. T.A.J.

I guess I am as guilty as anyone, after ready about the DOT numbers; I checked my newer looking tires and they are ten years old, thank heavens they have not blown out yet, that is now first on my list to replace. They are Kirkalnd Costco tires so I went in to Costco and asked about them, I was told it is entirly possible they sat on the shelf for a few years not being a common size but still it was a shock as I thought the previos owner had just put them on.

One day I was looking at our tires and thought perhaps I should have them checked even though they looked really good with plenty of tread. When I was told they were 8, 9 and 10 years old and that 8 to 9 was the max life span I was shocked. Bought some new ones not to long after and feel much better now! That brings up another point. If you are out to buy a RV knowing how to tell the age of the tires would be highly beneficial. :blink: