Best way to remove coach battery compartment?

daveemac

1990 Odyssey, Santa Fe layout.  I want to remove the coach battery compartment so I can fit a 100AH lithium battery.  It would be ideal to retain the compartment door to provide ventilation to the components I'm installing nearby, but I can add an aftermarket door if necessary.

I don't see a way to release the compartment.  It seems to be sandwiched into the shell of the camper, I don't see any screws or anything.

Do I need to use a cutting tool and just cut the compartment out, or is there a way to release it w/o cutting?  Thanks as always !

What size (group number) was the original battery? What size is the box?

Have you thought about 2ea 50ah lipos? Instead of a 100ah

Thanks for the replies.  Compartment is under my kitchen sink basically, under drawers.  It fits a 24, and the 100AH is 2" too long

But I want to remove the compartment regardless, so that I can use the opening to install components along the wall--there's no space coming from the other side.  

Maybe I'll need to just cut it out?  Any suggestions appreciated

IMG_7694.jpeg

WAG.. The metal box was made at the factory and it has a flanged face. The box was installed from the outside and then the flange was trapped between the frame and the filon outer skin.

The door and frame should be removable by unscrewing things.

Even then with every thing removed you will need an angle grinder to cut the tin all the way a and remove the box from the inside.  IF the flange is not screwed to the frame you should be able to use vice grips to pull the chunks  out. The door and the frame should be recyclable. 

If the install isn't done this way, your screwed and will need to resort to angle an grinder and just hack the hole larger and drag the guts through the new hole.

2 hours ago, linda s said:

Or buy a smaller lithium battery

😁😁

• 1 month later...

The essence of off-grid living is to use natural and available resources to create a sustainable lifestyle to sustain life without the municipalities, grocery stores and other resources we now take for granted every day.

Have you used solar generators? This is undoubtedly the best way to supply power in off grid life. Self-sufficient generators are much stronger than the batteries you are discussing.

Using solar energy to charge, renewable energy and sustainability is part of your off grid system. Here you can refer to Best Solar Generator for Off Grid Living.

A solar generator is just a battery. They don't generate energy at all, they just store it. None of them even a Tesla power wall will run an air conditioner for very long and there isn't enough room on a Toyota motorhome for enough solar panels to charge them in a day. The natural way is to just be hot. 

Linda S

Agree "solar generator" is misnamed, probably by some salesman, a better name would be a portable UPS. 

I built one of the DIY milk crate units and it cost less per watt than the commercial units. Its for power outages around the home. It will power the wife's CPAP for 2 days or a household fridge for 10 hours. The big deal is the CPAP, no generator making Carbon-monoxide all night long and trying to sneak into the house.

A 200w solar panel will  recharge it in 4 -5 hours. My dinky 1200w inverter generator will recharge it in 3-4 hours. 

Not about $$$ or practicality , but a Tesla Power Wall will run a Coleman Mach 1 for about 10 hours continuously.

The Will Prowse guy has a bunch of YouTube videos about solar and a forum site. diysolarforum.com. He is into mostly off grid power and ripping things apart to evaluate quality

Edited by WME

4 hours ago, WME said:

The Will Prowse guy has a bunch of YouTube videos about solar and a forum site. diysolarforum.com. He is into mostly off grid power and ripping things apart to evaluate quality

Great site! "Up in smoke... learn from my mistake!" is a great section! When hooking the charge controller on my my 48v system I reversed the polarity by accident and got a strange tingling sensation down my spine, woah that's interesting.