I've found a great little '85, in good shape and with low[79k] miles.....one owner. The only problem is of course it has the "evil" 5bolt axle. I would buy this rig in a heart beat if I could be sure that a good axle could be found, and installed at reasonable cost. I'm checking all the local wreckers. Does anyone have any leads in British Columbia or the Northwest? Am I being paranoid about the axle failing?

Where in BC are you? Gundie's in Bellingham WA is a RV salvage yard. They may be able to help. The number I have is 800-444-4344, but don't know if that toll free # will work in Canada or if it's a states only #.

We were all set to buy a real clean Dolphin (50 miles away)....had money down....Thank God I read about the axle issue in here before we went through with the deal. I chose not to by the Toy... We provided the owner with the info as he was very understanding and as he had other people interested we even got my money back. Two weeks later we found "Sweetness"...a trade in at a local RV dealer....

The point is.....I would not even consider a risk that would put my family and other people in danger (freeway driving to get home)....as well as buying a motorhome only to invest more time and money into it before it was safe to drive...just my $0.02......

I've found a great little '85, in good shape and with low[79k] miles.....one owner. The only problem is of course it has the "evil" 5bolt axle. I would buy this rig in a heart beat if I could be sure that a good axle could be found, and installed at reasonable cost. I'm checking all the local wreckers. Does anyone have any leads in British Columbia or the Northwest? Am I being paranoid about the axle failing?

If the only problem with this little Toy is the 5 bolt axle, then start looking for the upgraded axle...ask your mechanic to help you find one. Call salvage yards. Don't give up because they are out there. The cost for installation shouldn't break you, so don't let that hold you back either. We are enjoying driving our '84 Dolphin with its "new" upgraded 6 bolt axle. Believe me, a one owner with low miles in good shape will probably be hard to walk away from, so don't let the axle stop you. Only you know how many other Toyota minis are available in your neck of the woods. Best to you as you decide!

Dianne

'84 Dolphin 300 Den "The Little Puppy"

• 2 weeks later...

Concyse, Dunno how close to Hope you are, but if you are close, go to the park in town, and on the side of the park, furthest from the river & next door to the coffee shop, there is what appears to be a dead Chinook on a Toyota. I looked at it a couple of days ago, dont think it will be fixed up, I didnt think to check the axle so who knows? Am in Kelowna so you are on your own.

Tony

Looking at 1981 odyssy.It has the 5 bolt rear what else would it have.Can these be maintained with new bearing,bolts ect.untill a better rear end can be found.Dare I suggest it,is there another make that could be used.My son ,who is Mr. Toyota in his area mentioned a chevy but the lad is full tilt 4X4.I plan to buy the M. H.and your ideas are most welcome of course.thank you all.

Looking at 1981 odyssy.It has the 5 bolt rear what else would it have.Can these be maintained with new bearing,bolts ect.untill a better rear end can be found.Dare I suggest it,is there another make that could be used.My son ,who is Mr. Toyota in his area mentioned a chevy but the lad is full tilt 4X4.I plan to buy the M. H.and your ideas are most welcome of course.thank you all.

When we got our '84 Dolphin last November, it had a replaced heavy duty rear axle but it was not the full floating 6 lug axle. We were not confident that it would hold up with all the weight issues that these mini motorhomes have and had it replaced this summer. I'm not sure that new bearings, bolts, etc., would be the best way to go with yours. There would be expense involved with all of this and you still wouldn't have the axle you need. My suggestion is since you plan to buy this motorhome, start your search for the full floating 6 lug axle and I think you will be happier and safer even if it takes some time to locate one. I don't know if another make of axle can be used or not. Our mechanic's shop found one on a wrecked Toyota truck for us. Best wishes for finding one.

Dianne

The right fix is the 1 ton axle. But if you just can't do it now the choices are

1. GOOD....New axles, bearings and seals... Also 10lbs more air in the inboard tires.

2. BETTER..New axles, etc. New single rear rim and tire combo.

YOU MUST CHECK THE WEIGHT OF YOUR COACH ON THE REAR AXLE TO SEE IF THIS IS SAFE TO DO. This will make the axle safer to use, but you are still overloading it.

3. BEST 1 ton axle

Hi folks.Thank you for your information.I guess I knew what would be said but if I buy this M.H. there won,t be beer money left to celabrate.Didn,t plan retirement as well as I could have.Like Concyse and Nibs I live in B.C.near White Rock.B.C. means Bring Cash or British Columba.A case/24 of Bud is 40 bucks.Gas is just over 5 bucks 4Ltrs/3.78 U.S. Gal.Think Europe.California has more people than all of Canada.I called a lot of wreckers today and the only one who took more time than to say no and hang up thought it would cost 1.800 to 2.000 if he could get one. I will wait and buy a newer one.Thanks all Steve.

• 4 months later...
Thanks for the input....I've been checking around re axles and they seem pretty rare in this part of the woods!

I was blessed to already have a full floating 1 ton axle I had pruchased when I was working years back to make my S10 a flatbed..

Anyway, the little 5 lug that was in my Dolphin did fine, on the 300 mile highway (Hills, curves, etc) trip home. What I did was drain ALL of the fluid out of it, and put LUCAS in, nto Lucas and oil, 100% LUCAS oil. I don't work for Lucas, but I believe they have a good product, and it sure got me home 100%.

The thing is, axles may be rare, but Toyota motorhomes are even more rare.

For me, it was worth it. Prayers help, too!

• 1 month later...

moms ruin,

I live in South Surrey, and solved most of my gas/beer/wine problems by driving south to get these. I notice that I can return from getting gas with a 12pack of beer and the guard will not send me in to pay the duty… May be it’s just he feels sorry for me, I dive the red Tacoma 4X4 with the flat-deck, I’m sure you have seen it…

Anyway, I see lots of these axes for sale in WA. Check craigslist.org, expect to pay around $500 with rims.

If you’re still looking for one, what is your price range? I bought our 89 Dolphin in CA for $6500 (2.5 Yeas ago now) It’s easy to bring them across the border…

Andrew.

Bunneys--Thanks for your note.You must have found an old thread of mine.

Up until a year and a half ago I lived in the U.S. for 23 years.Once in a while I like to point out that the free medical, ect. up here isn't as free as everyone in the U.S.thinks it is.It sure is great though.

Came back as I hadn't see the family for 20 years and it was time to retire.

I'm working with a guy on the other Toyota site to buy a 1984 Nissan Sunraider.The price is right and it is all fiberglass.

There was a Toy. in Seattle at one time that I looked at and it needed a 6 stud axel.

Do you have your passport yet.June first is the deadline.

My son lives in New Hampshire and is Mr.Toyota.Mostly Land Cruisers but he drives toyota pickups and repairs them when he has time.

Kind of hate to tell him I'm buying a Nissan since there is a good chance he will be picking out my nursing home when the time comes.

I'm in Cresent Beach and I'll keep in touch as there are a few toyota/mini motor home owners in the area and maybe when I get mine there are enough to get our own group going.

Steve.