Time to sell inherited Nissan Sunrader. Not sure where to start.

acemanhattan

Two years ago my father passed away unexpectedly and as a consolation prize my brother and I ended up with his Nissan Sunrader. While my dad was an avid adventurer and used the Sunrader to tow his Ultralight airplane around the western 3rd of the United States, my brother and I aren't much more than weekend tent campers, so we've basically just held onto it because it's difficult to part with, and because it makes a great clubhouse for our young kids.

More and more, especially now that the weather is getting nicer, I feel like the right thing to do is to send it back out into the world of those who shared the same love for adventure that my father did, rather than let it sit another year [nearly] unused.

So, I guess I'm looking for a little guidance on what I have, what it's possibly worth, and potentially to be linked with people who might be interested in owning it.

Here's what I can tell you about its history: my dad was a lifelong mechanic, and I've never known him to own anything that wasn't in good running condition. He owned it for about 5 years, bought it somewhere on the west coast, and (with a little feathering of the gas pedal) it starts up in under a minute no matter how many months I've let it sit. The only driving it's done in the last two years are when me and my son fire it up and spin it around the block a dozen times just to knock a little bit of the dust off of it.

I've added some pictures (omitted photos of back interior, for now, because I didn't feel like cleaning up after the young savages who've made it their clubhouse) and hope to hear back from some of you.

278997612_539574694197316_8085009200303759653_n.jpg

278800179_532299738286429_7050715817962304281_n.jpg

279100853_473871971091911_801792682863525000_n.jpg

278905342_484259416781659_5463670350555401432_n.jpg

278686474_334888952041833_4754570183904935262_n.jpg

278950745_393805915923218_8173229312233108392_n.jpg

278782032_513014066956775_512612936224405450_n.jpg

278794295_1113670635873174_6591413670309811181_n.jpg

278903807_517224393235234_5535657586023312212_n.jpg

People love Sunraders especially the shorties. 7 grand as is but if you take the time to really clean it up, outside and inside spic and span clean. Paint the hood, clean upholstery, etc. you might be able to get 12 to 14 thousand. Sorry about your dad and sorry you didn't catch his camper love. 

Linda S

@linda s and @john*thomas thanks a lot for the replies.

Would you go as far as to reupholster the cushions and replace things like curtains, or would you simply recommend making it shine in its current condition?

Also, what is it that makes this unit desirable? Given what I can observe, it looks like it's a v8 dually, so probably desirable for towing. Any other specifics you'd call out?

Edited by acemanhattan

It's not a V8. 

People like the Sunraders because they are fiberglass and have fewer issues than the more standard units. IMO. A little more sleek also. 

I don't know the condition of your seats and curtains but if they are nice, leave them. Some like the original and those who want to change things up

want to do their own thing.

I have an 87 Nissan (not Sunrader) and I like that they are a little more rare. To me the short Sunraders are the most desirable. That's me, I like the shorter ones. 

No V8 there. Thats a Nissan 24z 4-cylinder engine. Your Dad's ultra-light must have very light. The shortie Sunrader and Sunraders as a whole are kind of a cult thing. Popularity has gone sky high. Since your Dad didn't buy it that long ago I bet he knew exactly how popular they were. What was your Dad's name. I just flashed on that ultra lite. Do you have any old pics of the Sunrader and trailer? 

Also show me coach when you get the kids stuff out. Or just show me now. I've got grandkids and I am immune to kid mess. 

If upholstery isn't badly worn it can be washed. All cushions have zippers even the big one overhead. Big laundry mat washer with door on side is required. Curtains too but I have to tell you how to remove them so you don't break the tabs. 

If the rest of the front of the truck cleans up well you can remove the hood and just take that to an auto body shop. Have them match the paint. Be pretty cheap and get you the best finish. Clean inside engine bay too. Let me know when your ready and I will find this really good YouTube video about doing that. 

We can tell you how to clean the fiberglass too but one thing at a time. We also have lots of members near you. You post your location and some might jump in and offer help in person. 

Linda S

Yup I definately saw it. I5 near Roseburg. I don't know how many years ago. I pulled over but he wasn't in the camper. Waited a while but had to leave before I could talk to him. He was probably in Denny's and I would have felt funny walking into Denny's and yelling out who owns the Sunrader. I didn't have my Sunrader with me either so I would have sounded a little crazy. Man he sure did like to have fun. Wish I had waited longer

Linda S

• 1 year later...

The 10th digit of the vin is the date code. A 1984 would be E. Also, Nissan didn't come out with the full float axle until 1984 and yours has one so that clinches the deal. The prices have been skyrocketing. Clean it up nice and ask for no less than 15 grand

Linda S

4 minutes ago, linda s said:

The 10th digit of the vin is the date code. A 1984 would be E. Also, Nissan didn't come out with the full float axle until 1984 and yours has one so that clinches the deal. The prices have been skyrocketing. Clean it up nice and ask for no less than 15 grand

Linda S

Looks like my 10th is a "D" but date of mfr is late 83. Any chance it's an 83 and full float went into production late in the year?

Well I'm not that much help. My Nissan site can't process the vin. Happens when they get pretty old. My Toyota site can't process my vin either and that's an 86. Do you have the registration? You probably have to go by what that says for the year but when selling make sure you add it has the full float axle.

It definitely needs some sprucing up. Some paint, at least a futon in the overhead. Wash the cushion covers. 

Selling is driven by first impressions. Make a good one.

Kind of sorry you never fell in love with it. None of my children or grandkids LOVE mine either. Such an important part of my life

makes me sad to think it will have to be sold after I die for someone else to love it. 

Linda S

21 minutes ago, linda s said:

Well I'm not that much help. My Nissan site can't process the vin. Happens when they get pretty old. My Toyota site can't process my vin either and that's an 86. Do you have the registration? You probably have to go by what that says for the year but when selling make sure you add it has the full float axle.

It definitely needs some sprucing up. Some paint, at least a futon in the overhead. Wash the cushion covers. 

Kind of sorry you never fell in love with it. None of my children or grandkids LOVE mine either. Such an important part of my life

makes me sad to think it will have to be sold after I die for someone else to love it. 

Linda S

Just looked on the title (duh) and says it's an '84.

It's a fun camper, but feel like I'd need to gain proficiency in areas I don't have time for (mechanical, mostly) so I felt comfortable taking it any distance.

Feel bad letting it sit unused.  Is this site a good place to sell it? Feel like the best use of my time is to give it a cleaning and price it so the next person has room to make improvements they are excited about.

Your close to Portland so Craigslist for sure. There are some Sunrader sites on Facebook. Might be a good idea to try there too.

Also the Toyota motorhome sites on Facebook. Sunraders transcend the truck maker. I don't have links because I don't do any Facebook but I know they are there. 

Linda S

24 minutes ago, linda s said:

Linda S

I have two close friends that both want my rig when I pass. I actually added their names with first right of refusal to my will.

Unfortunately, today you need to be either mechanically inclined or have deep pockets to keep these things running. If you live in a metropolitan area it means renting a storage lot or finding a friend with a big back yard that has no HOA involvement.

Sometimes family is just not in a position to take these projects on.

My greatest fear was my rig getting sold for peanuts due to the amount of upkeep required. I can rest easy now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...