Cabin lights blinking after starter battery replacement

goob8

I went to look at a 1990 Sunrader yesterday for purchase. The owner had just replaced the starter battery before I arrived. When she turned on the lights in the cabin (above the stove, ceiling lights, etc.), they worked just fine. However, after 10 minutes or so, the lights started blinking. It they would be blinking fast at one moment, and slow the next, and then sometimes they would not blink at all.

It's a 6-cylinder with no electrical modifications. Revving and getting the RPMs up did not stop the blinking either. I noticed that the on the battery/water monitor panel (original) that the 'battery condition' was blinking at the same moments the light would blink -- the condition was 'fair', but on every blink the condition would read 'poor'.

My suspicions were that either the cabin battery needs replacing in addition to the starter battery that was replaced, but wanted to make sure it doesn't sound like something more complicated than that.

Thanks

Get a cheap multi meter, Harbor Freight, and check voltage in the truck then voltage at house battery. My guess is it's the house battery too. They get dry and people don't know they need to have water added from time to time. Check that and if you don't see water in there add some distilled. Then see if lights still flash. Should transfer power better even if the battery is toast. Can she plug it in for you? If it all works normal at least your converter charger is still working. Let us know how it all comes out

Linda S

Did you hear a clicking sound in sync with the blinking?

Yes check voltage and water level.

Clicking/blinking lighting is usually reversed battery connections. So here is my guess, the coach battery is connected wrong. Most likely the battery in the coach is discharged so when you start the truck the isolator is switched on getting power from the truck then the converter complains because it's battery is reversed polarity.

thanks all for the advice. i am a couple hours away and have relayed the info you have given me. 

she says that this was not happening before, so i suspect that the coach battery is reversed as Mainseah suggested.

either way, i will be replacing the coach battery with 2 walmart/marine batteries or agm (think lithium is a bit over-the-top)

i consider it to just be a little electrical configuation fix, but nothing to steer me clear of buying it (no observable water damage, decent engine, working electronics otherwise)

i will post an update when she tries plugging it into shore power

LiPo batteries are way over the top and will not play well with old systems. What you have to do is figure  out just how much power you need back when the MH was made it was more than enough so people like to add gadgets but guess what they are far more efficient than the 80's/90's A big energy hog is the heater (furnace, water) LED's get rid of the bulbs they are better heaters then light fixtures. I can't remember how many were in the MH but my camper had 13 total current draw 23 amps! I added 2 and replaced all the incandescent with LED  total draw 3.3 amps. A lot cheaper than twin batteries!

wow that's a huge upgrade!

my plan is to make it my home for a bit so i am going for as much battery storage as possible. luckily the furnace wont be necessary for my needs, and the gadgets im adding wont take too much power and will be more than accounted for with probably at least a 200ah deep cycle. looks like it already had a newer water pump installed which might already be saving some juice! 

doesnt sound like she's gotten around to troubleshooting yet so still waiting for an update

Edited by goob8