I am not particularly mechanically inclined and would very much like if someone could explain the OverDrive button to me. When to use it, what is it for, etc. Of course I am looking to get the best gas mileage I can. I have the 1991 Itasca, 21' with the 6 cyl 22RE engine.

I too am fairly new to Toyota MH's but have tons of experience from logging truck, buses (home is a bus) through toyota pickups and sports cars. Drive is a gearing which couples the motor to the driveshaft at one rev of the eng to one rev of the driveshaft, Overdrive is a higher gear that turns the motor slower than the drive shaft, each of the lower gears turns the motor at some ratio faster than the driveshaft. Basically, for all vehicles, you want to keep the motor running 'free and easy' if the vehicle wont accellerate you should shift down into the next lower gear. Avoid driving with your foot making a dent in the floor. Some of the Toyota Motor home 'Motor heads' can probably give you the MPH to shift at. Try to develop a feel for when the motor is lugging (unhappy cause it isnt running free and easy), and shift to a lower gear just before. The transmission is stupid, it just wants to get into the highest gear it can, you should learn to help it on hills by manually selecting gears, cause most automatics shift down too late to stay on the 'power curve' of the engine. If you are in hill country skip OD completely. Down hill, use the same gear that you would going up the hill, let the motor do the braking, keep your brakes cool for stopping. Having faded (overheated) brakes is quite exciting on a hill (exciting isnt good in a MH). Dont worry about keeping up with the traffic (you cant) just accept your role as parade leader.

Tony

Edited by nibs

Good explanation nibs. Basically push the button in when the transmission starts to shift a lot back and forth in the hills until you get back on the flat land again then turn it back on. Expect it to shift some times at speed on slight hills that’s ok.

Toyota says not to use the O/D when your pickup is heavly loaded.

Most of us think hauling around a house counts as being heavly loaded.

Ok, now what is this "ect button" all about? And when is the Overdrive "on" and "off"? In the "in" position and the "out" position? It is starting to make sense, but I am still somewhat confused. Has anyone added a tackometer to help with all this?