Mounting scissor jacks to frame

86Dolphino

I’ve done some reading and seen a post or two on mounting leveling jacks to the rig. To be clear I’m not talking about stabilizers I’m talking 7500 pound lift capacity scissor jacks. 

here is a link 

Camco 48830 Eaz-Lift 24" RV Stabilizing Scissor Jack| Fits Pop-Up Campers and Travel Trailers | Supports Up to 7,500 lb.| 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKKS4W8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G8TJD32CWBQN8C0PCFZE

i figure with 4 of them that’s 30k pounds lift which is easily way more than I need

I read WME post where he says he mounted his to in the front right near the front bumper mounts and the rears where he did his extra support on the extension rails. 

I was wondering if anyone of has some photos or advice before I get started? 

since my extension rails haven’t been reinforced I’m thinking of mounting the rear ones right where they meet the actual Toyota frame. 

all ideas and comments are welcome. If anyone has pictures that would be awesome. 

Hope everyone has been safe. 

thanks in advance for all the help. 

Edited by 86Dolphino

No dice huh? Well my jacks arrive today so I’ll get a better idea on best locations 

I'm interested as I am considering adding some. Please post some pics and let us know where you choose to locate them.

You are missing the point, those are stabilizing jacks. They are NOT lifting jacks regardless of their rating. The weak point for lifting is the flimsy weld/bolt on brackets. They will buckle with any misalignment.  

What ones did you mount up?

I started with these, they work but are a PIA to set up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203352031187?epid=885154632&hash=item2f58b9bfd3:g:8XoAAOSwOj1ge5PE

Then I went with a generic 5000 lb crank down set. A drill makes things easy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174155159860?hash=item288c74d934:g:-NEAAOSwJU5eHR0j

Make sure you get jacks with a nut drive and not a hook on the end of the crank.

Well I’m gonna take a risk with mine because I’m tired of the leveling process. Maybe I can weld some angle iron to give a little more support. I guess if I destroy then lesson learned. I don’t see them getting bent up hurting the RV just my wallet bahaha

1 minute ago, Homer said:

DSC09652.JPG.74ca7831598e69bdd3ae7bfbc0871f16.JPG

Yea I seen that photo. But the jacks I got don’t mount that way. And I also want something permanent. 

I made these and put them on end of frame toward the bumper so the stabilizers would just slide upon them to crank up or remove in just a few minutes I just use these on the back and use 2 more placed under the frame close to the front doors for leveling I think they were about 18.00 each from Harbor FreightDSC09665.JPG.c1ec4cace28ac140f7e2828d77091da7.JPGDSC09668.JPG.c85c788ad912bf3d328b195516465130.JPG

DSC09664.JPG

DSC09660.JPG

4 minutes ago, 86Dolphino said:

Yea I seen that photo. But the jacks I got don’t mount that way. And I also want something permanent. 

OK. I didn't spend all that $$$$ and needed it quick. Two self-threading bolts and two pieces of flat bar steel.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

OK. I didn't spend all that $$$$ and needed it quick. Two self-threading bolts and two pieces of flat bar steel.

Let me ask do you just use yours to “stabilize” or level?

Both leveling and stabilizing too. Very effective. Think I have been using them for 5+ years, no problems. I use a piece of scrap  wood,  size approx. 4"X8" X 1/2" under each of them to keep them from sinking in to the ground.  I carry them inside and put them on at campsite and remove them before leaving.   I was just showing  what I did not trying to upset anyone.

Hope you figure out a solution that works for you

HAPPY NEW YEAR    to all the Toy owners  🛠️  :smileys-camping-012488:

I’m gonna give it a go as well. I do plan on using some blocks like you and try and get the rv as level as possible. I’ll keep everyone posted on my experience.

I bought a set of 4 heavy duty Libre 24" 7500lb leveling jacks. They are made using 11 gauge steel. Cost was $135 on ebay in 2020. I started fitting them to a LeSharo. A LeSharo is similar weight as a 21ft Toyota MH. I started with the front. Got one fitted. Then realized they really are just stabilizers. If you think they are a jack that will pick up the RV - you will be disappointed. 2 would not pick up one end of a 6,000lb RV. These "stabilizers" have so much friction in the threaded screw under load that the lift is limited.  The thread is rolled. Not machined/cut. There is simply a steel thrust bushing for the screw - not a ball bearing or plastic thrust bearing. I stopped installing mine and am watching ebay and other sites to buy matching pickup truck jacks similar to one I have. They actually will lift the RV.

Blocks of wood, jacks from scrapped Asian cars (more often  than not the scarp yards will give them too you) Like WRE said they are not for lifting that's why I carried bits of PT wood. The toy home is not that heavy you can drive up on a 1X6 then use the jacks. I welded two Asian scissors jacks to the rear fame it keep it from rocking and roiling all you need to do is take a bit of weight off the suspension.

After reading the posts.......when I put one scissor jack under the front frame and start turning the crank I can lift the opposite front wheel completely off the ground as well as the wheel next to the jack. I have to really pay attention when I snug up the jack under the frame when leveling it. Looking below the front doors and behind the wheels is where I place the jacks. Looks like one of the previous owners put a jack under the body and bent it some before realizing it was bending the body. I make sure it is under the main  frame.