Well crazy - I see 2 main shapes for this year & engine in the parts stores, one clearly doesn't work right & the other is close but not terrific.  The close one is C70988, but it interferes just a bit with the EFI intake cross-tube from the air filter, and the ends are not quite parallel to each other - my radiator & engine tubes are - while I could force it on, the hose ends are under added stress, it's not as close a fit as I want.

Anyone have a better fit part number?  Rock Auto mostly has the 2 shapes I'm familiar with - one additional Gates number whose picture might be closer to a good fit, but mail order "testing" is not what I want.  1986 22RE engine, automatic, 2-wheel drive, 2.4 liter EFI.

I think this is the most common application, probably standard truck, a bit short & not the right shape:

_3.jpg.fac90059e92152765d1ce231ac38bfa1.jpg

This is the C70988 ( & other "80988" flavors), close but not quite right, it doesn't have parallel ends & interferes with air intake cross-link to the EFI:

_2.jpg.b1e9f252751223b5f1c24c4686414c28.jpg

This is the Gates 21398, which I wonder if it might be a close fit, despite not having parallel ends:

_1..jpg.3466833a843b532c0d4640735d931375.jpg

Side question - I have an all-metal radiator but run hot enough that I'd like something better if possible.  How can I determine whether mine is 2-tube or 3-tube?

Thanks for all help!

Tom

Edited by tstockma
clarity

Couple more pictures to better describe the problem....my existing hose is correctly curved, but it's not just a simple curve, it's complex so as to bend down, out of the way of the intake cross-link.

_4.jpg.6ff4bdf52c106a5089cfc78b78765632.jpg

_5.jpg.240ef7f586321e2a41a111113324097e.jpg

The above shot especially shows it curving down & out of the way.

Maybe!   I have an old prejudice against these as being weaker than molded, but that's probably just old thinking.  I'm saving that link & might end up going with it.   Strange, the current upper hose is a lot newer than the rest of the hoses were, and it's molded & the right fit...  At some point parts places must have known what the right hose is.  Thanks Linda.

For what it's worth, I have been driving 22R and 22REs for about 25 years now, both daily driver PU's and my RV, and I have learned to spend the extra dough and buy genuine Toyota upper hoses. They just fit and work better for me. I do buy lower aftermarkets without problem. As stated, the after market uppers never quite fit right, for me. Tried Gates etc. They all seem less thick and I have repeatedly had them lose a little coolant at a time, over time. Not what I want on a trip over the Sierras in 80--90 degrees, at 3200 rpms, for prolonged periods. For me this is a "Buy the best and only cry once" issue. I also now buy new clamps and retire the used ones for emergency or other misc uses. Just my 2 cents.

BR,

TG

Interesting - I did stop by the Toyota dealer on Saturday - Linda, they said the 35180 is original but, with 35181 as the replacement.

TG, you finding Toyota's hoses better for the upper, is also noteworthy - my local dealer said $77 before tax to special order it - yikes! 

Hey Linda your link says $30 for the original 35180.   SOLD!

Edited by tstockma

So, there is no 35181. The part number I posted is already the replacement for 35080. Toyota list price for this item is really 42 bucks but he tried to charge almost twice that? If it was me I would call and ask to speak to the manager. Your working with a Toyota group with over 5000 members and their reputation is on the line. Maybe get them to shape up so the next guy doesn't get ripped off

Linda S