Parallax Converters and Battery Life

Buck

Hello,

The converter on my Seabreeze was updated by the prior owner to a Parallax Model 7345ru.  I've read postings about fried batteries with the original equipment.  Can anyone tell me if this Parallax model is ok to leave plugged in to 120v for multiple days when in use?  Also, any tips about whether I should plug it in monthly during storage to maintain battery? 

The 7345 is smarter than the original Parallax, BUT it still ain't real smart.  It will charge better, BUT again, its rest voltage is higher than the recommended float voltage for flooded batteries.

Choices...

1. Replace it with a smart 4 stage charger

2. Put a timer on it, set it for 1 hr a day.

3. Use it as is and check the water levels in your battery weekly... Until you get a feel as how much water it causes the battery to lose. Then check accordingly.

Q&A...http://www.bestconverter.com/

If your in it and using it I see no problem with leaving it plugged in for as long as you need. Switch the fridge to run on 110 and you'll be fine. I used to leave my Sunrader always plugged in with the fridge on so I could go at anytime and not keep moving all my condiments in and out of the fridge. Batteries still lasted 5 years or more which is a long as I would expect from any battery. I do check water though every few months. Sometimes it needed some but often it didn't

Linda S

I live in Maine it gets real cold my charger stays on all winter long it is a 3 stage beginning of this season I had to replace a 6 year old battery guess I could have just let them freeze.The first year I had my Toy home it had the original charger I used a timer to run the charger 1 1/2 hours a day all winter.

Thanks for the replies.  I'll keep an eye on water level and just leaved it plugged in the next week or so (somebody living in it), then will look into timer options for winter storage. 

2 hours ago, Buck said:

Thanks for the replies.  I'll keep an eye on water level and just leaved it plugged in the next week or so (somebody living in it), then will look into timer options for winter storage. 

Someone you know I hope!

• 3 weeks later...

I  would measure the voltage and see if it steps down appropriately. IF it does not, it could be a weak battery drawing too much or some other device drawing. 

on my rig, when 120v ac is present, the battery is isolated and charged by the power converter. I have disconnected the battery so it would not overcharge.