Consumer Reports compares Honda 2000 vs Predator

DanAatTheCape

I have been buying HF for over thirty years. for the price , most of their products are well worth the price. the big but coming here is, PARTS. I would have wished CR had mentioned the availability for common parts for the HF unit. just wondering why no mention of that. I need to assume that parts for the predator are not available. would also like to know that since the HF unit is basically a clone of the honda , would similar parts be so much alike that they could be interchanged ? (honda parts fit HF ) I.E. carb. ?  pull cord assembly ? etc. , etc. even with such a great review and at half the price, if parts fail with the predator, are you spending another $500.00 ? just curious. joe from dover. 

My observations the Honda is quieter the build quality is better that being said neither one of them is ever going to see high hours of use so why spend $500 more for something that you'll never wear out anyway? If you want to run an AC unit neither one of them is really up to the task they are both marginal the Honda has a bit better starting current but right at the limit. 

Yep 90 days. When I bought my HF generator I was offered a 2 year extended warranty... for $70

CR does some good reports, but sometimes lacking in some things.   I have a 7 year old EU2000i backup genny,  it sits for long periods of time and starts up with no issue, time after time after time.    I would hazard a guess I could sell it for $600 to $700, wonder how a 7 year old HF would do?   

Honda parts are $$$$$ and widely available, but I have never needed one.

I like HF and if tight on cash would buy a Preditor with the extended warranty.  

when I bought my Honda 2000 I figured if it lasted 1000 hours, that would be $1/hour +fuel.

the unit has flashing lights which count off 100 hours - after 5 flashes there is no more.

after 5 flashes I started logging gallons of fuel.   Most of the time I am at idle or close to it so I assume 8 hours per gallon. By that calculation I am now at 1300 hours.

THERE IS A GROCERY CHAIN IN MY AREA  CALLED  ALDI'S. I BELIEVE THEY ARE REGIONAL AND HOME OFFICE IN ILLINOIS. THEY SEND A WEEKLY FLYER IN THE MAIL. THEY ALSO OFFER A LIMITED LINE OF NON FOOD ITEMS. TO THE POINT...THIS WEEKS FLYER FEATURED A 2000 WATT INVERTER GENNY. LOOKS LIKE THE PREDATOR AND HONDA ,  THE PRICE ?  $349.99.  SHOULD HF BE WORRIED?  QUOTED FROM AD,  "WORK ZONE 2000 WATT INVERTER GENERATOR. EQUIPPED WITH TWO 120V HOUSEHOLD OUTLETS, ONE USB OUTLET, ONE 12V OUTLET FOR BATTERY CHARGING. SUPER QUIET--ONLY 59 db. 80 cc 4 STROKE ENGINE RUNS ON GASOLINE TO PROVIDE DEPENDABLE POWER. JOE FROM DOVER.

after viewing the video, (thanks derek), with a 3yr. limited warranty, and only $350.00, parts availability issue aside, I think I would pull the trigger on this one. basically if I were looking at HF predator for $500.00, and this appears to be the same unit, (spec wise), why not save $150.00 ??  just my thoughts. joe from dover.

Only thing that bothers me is the noise rating is the 59 Db wide open or normal running? A gain of 3 Db is twice the noise level. Mind you 59 Db is doable but compared to a Honda if it not at the same normal running range it could be considerably louder as the Honda is rated 43 Db. In the Honda that really is what you are paying for, the quiet.

Yes 53 db the 4 and 5 are very close together but 6 db is a big jump in noise. My solar panel is pretty close to zero db it won't run my AC either well if I had one it wouldn't but it will run my fantastic fan!

• 2 weeks later...

became aware of a Westinghouse line of generators.  they offer a 2500 peak watt / 2200 run watt inverter for about $600.00. nice reviews. anyone have one or familiar with the Westinghouse brand ? related to the small genny's running roof top air is a  "MICRO AIR easy start 364" soft start system that once installed allows starting and running roof top air with  small gensets. the micro air system is about $300.00. good informative you tube install videos out there. joe from dover.

7 hours ago, hunkaman said:

became aware of a Westinghouse line of generators.  they offer a 2500 peak watt / 2200 run watt inverter for about $600.00. nice reviews. anyone have one or familiar with the Westinghouse brand ? related to the small genny's running roof top air is a  "MICRO AIR easy start 364" soft start system that once installed allows starting and running roof top air with  small gensets. the micro air system is about $300.00. good informative you tube install videos out there. joe from dover.

They get good reviews there are so many choices out there I would think anything with a 2200 running current would be a good bet. I would research the quiet before I made a decision that has a  lot to do with quality.

The Honda 2000 is now the Honda 2200!