Hi everyone was looking for information on sourcing new heavy duty rear springs for my 1987 odyssey camper. I know I can take it to a spring shop and have the existing ones rebuilt for $600.00 or fully replaced for $1,200.00 (quote)  which seems high to me for what it is. I have a very complete shop at home. So if I could just have a set delivered with hardware i could install them myself and save some money. Drivers side rear spring pack is missing one leaf out of it, that's how I got it and trying to up grade the foundation before the remodel.

I was able to buy a set in 2015 -- pdf attached.  There were several vendors.   Put in new bushings too..  I paid a spring shop to take one leaf out f the old springs and add it to the new springs.

The new springs, by themselves, do not overcome the design issues - ie toyota springs are maxed out a 6,000 lbs

listings for leaf springs & harris bushing below - this was for a 93' model

1989-1994 Toyota 1 Ton Pickup and Chassis Cab 2wd - Leaf Spring (Rear - 3_2 Leaves) [90-205] _ $231httpwww.sdtrucksprings.com.pdf

HB-1004 Toyota Rubber Harris Split Bushing 30mm O.D.  18mm I.D. 37mm O.L. 31mm I.pdf

Wow Oldgirz come to Akron Ohio Man! Grannie was sagging so much I’d bottom out on a small grade. Went to an old spring shop here and they rearched my original leaf springs in a hot forge, added 2 heavy duty leafs to each side ( I have 7 leafs per side now), replaced all the bushings and clamps, got rid of the worthless helper springs and charged me $300 out the door. Raised Grannies rear a good 5 inches and she rides like a dream! I don’t have airbags. Can’t believe how much stuff costs out West! Good Luck!

Bit of a drive and we have abstained from driving it till the springs are fixed. It's sagging pretty well on the driver side. The spring shops here in Albuquerque do not re arch buy heating them  anymore is what the two shops told me. Cold forming? So if there going to order them in I might as well do it myself and save some money. I do want to beef them up. I have been looking at air bags but the guy at the spring shop didn't recommend it.

3 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

I was able to buy a set in 2015 -- pdf attached.  There were several vendors.   Put in new bushings too..  I paid a spring shop to take one leaf out f the old springs and add it to the new springs.

The new springs, by themselves, do not overcome the design issues - ie toyota springs are maxed out a 6,000 lbs

listings for leaf springs & harris bushing below - this was for a 93' model

1989-1994 Toyota 1 Ton Pickup and Chassis Cab 2wd - Leaf Spring (Rear - 3_2 Leaves) [90-205] _ $231httpwww.sdtrucksprings.com.pdf

HB-1004 Toyota Rubber Harris Split Bushing 30mm O.D.  18mm I.D. 37mm O.L. 31mm I.pdf

I called sd truck springs awile back and they were no help.

Check out Timbrens...http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/

If your feeling frisky check out ZUK mod...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f129/zuk-mod-250033/

34 minutes ago, Oldgriz said:

Go to the SD truck site and measure look at the measurements. Measure yours , A and B on your springs. it will give us an idea of what size you need or maybe tell us if these sprigs will fit. I know another person who bought them and they told her they wouldn't fit anything but the 137 inch wheelbase only available from 1987 on but they did fit. First measurements. Those are along the spring itself ,center pin to each end, not straight above it

Linda S

Interesting My spring shop didn’t recommend air bags either not sure why? I’ve been told that cold rearching of the springs don’t last that long. I wish I had your skills! 

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

Interesting My spring shop didn’t recommend air bags either not sure why? I’ve been told that cold rearching of the springs don’t last that long. I wish I had your skills! 

No I can't re arch the springs the spring shops here said they can cold form them ( bend) and research says this does not last. I will take some measurements and do as linda said. But you would think that the specs would be known by the spring places on the net.       I'm going to have my rig  weight taken. I'm working on putting a chevy vortec v6 auto trans gearvendrs overdrive combo in the camper  the four banger is way under powered . I'm always driving it with the pedal to the floor to make it move in traffic. I'm also looking at converting the front to one ton suspension or four wheel drive.

I have never found springs on the internet or anywhere else specifically for our year and model trucks. They can't give you specs for something they don't carry. I thought with measurements we might be able to find something very close. It's a spring, jack it up a touch and voile, it's longer. Yes I could get under mine but mine is a 112 inch wheel base shorty and I'm pretty sure yours is full sized. I think the springs would still be the same but not sure. Oh and there's the I don't want to.

Linda S

NM is like WY long drives to get anywhere. Did you try Hobbs Spring and Suspension? McBrides Spring and Welding  is a lot closer

Edited by WME

2 hours ago, WME said:

NM is like WY long drives to get anywhere. Did you try Hobbs Spring and Suspension? McBrides Spring and Welding  is a lot closer

Yes McBrides is the one I will use if I can't do it myself, but if I can source the springs I will do it as I have a pretty good shop set up and can handle most repairs myself.

12 hours ago, linda s said:

I have never found springs on the internet or anywhere else specifically for our year and model trucks. They can't give you specs for something they don't carry. I thought with measurements we might be able to find something very close. It's a spring, jack it up a touch and voile, it's longer. Yes I could get under mine but mine is a 112 inch wheel base shorty and I'm pretty sure yours is full sized. I think the springs would still be the same but not sure. Oh and there's the I don't want to.

Linda S

Yes linda my odyssey is the newport model and the vin decodes to RN75 or a 137 inch wheel base and according to the floor plan literature I have it is suitable for four wheel drive I am seriously considering upgrade to 4x4 at some time in the future as I want to put either a vortex v6 automatic trans with a gearvenders over drive unit or a 302 ford small block with same transmission set up I have a spare rebuilt 302 ford and c-4 transmission this is popular with the toyota rock crawling crowd as the distributor is up front. But it might be overkill and I do want to get good gas mileage. The 4x4 conversion is being considered because to put a biger engine in it the front will have to be rised for engine clearance. But the rear springs are going to have to be addressed first. I just put all new rubber on the road runner ( that our name for the camper based on upgrade goals and ware we live ) it had 17 year old rubber on it when it was given to us.

Trouble is Toyota didn't make a 137 inch wheelbase in 1986. The extra long body was available from 1987. It is possible yours was built so late in 86 that it is a crossover to 87. I don't know. If it is 86 and your wheelbase is longer than 112 it was done by the motorhome manufacturer. Helps to just measure it. Converting to 4x4 is not so simple. Frame of the 4x4's is different to make room for the transaxle. Cross beams need to be cut and new ones welded in to add more strength. Rear axle needs to be remounted under the frame instead of on top. My son is a mechanic and he told me to convert my Sunrader to 4x4 it would be easier to move the coach to a 4x4 truck.

Well I am wrong. I just did some more digging and I found out they did start the 137 inch wheelbase in 86. Still don't know if your springs are the same as the shorter model though

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Trouble is Toyota didn't make a 137 inch wheelbase in 1986. The extra long body was available from 1987. It is possible yours was built so late in 86 that it is a crossover to 87. I don't know. If it is 86 and your wheelbase is longer than 112 it was done by the motorhome manufacturer. Helps to just measure it. Converting to 4x4 is not so simple. Frame of the 4x4's is different to make room for the transaxle. Cross beams need to be cut and new ones welded in to add more strength. Rear axle needs to be remounted under the frame instead of on top. My son is a mechanic and he told me to convert my Sunrader to 4x4 it would be easier to move the coach to a 4x4 truck.

Well I am wrong. I just did some more digging and I found out they did start the 137 inch wheelbase in 86. Still don't know if your springs are the same as the shorter model though

Linda S

Linda my camper is registered as a 1987 but the plate on the firewall in the engine compartment is stamped july 1986.

I keep forgetting that . The vin number says RN75 = 137 inch wheel base.

I've built and messed with cars and trucks. I have a pretty nice shop that includes a milling machine and a metal lathe and welders and a son who is a professional welder and fabricator. That doesn't mean it will be easy but the rockcrawler guys convert to straight axles all the time.

1 hour ago, WME said:

Several local rock nuts have used these guys...https://www.alcanspring.com/index.htm

EVERYTHING they do is custom.

I will check them out thanks for the lead, but a little far but we'll see.

Hey Oldgriz can’t your local spring shop make the springs for your rig? When I had mine done the shop made the springs to fit. They were slightly thicker than the originals. They were not Toyota OEM springs. 

22 hours ago, Oldgriz said:

maybe you could measure your springs and see if they are the same.  that part number would come up from a number of sources   in the past

1 hour ago, Oldgriz said:

I will check them out thanks for the lead, but a little far but we'll see.

See if they will build and ship.

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

Hey Oldgriz can’t your local spring shop make the springs for your rig? When I had mine done the shop made the springs to fit. They were slightly thicker than the originals. They were not Toyota OEM springs. 

Yes they quoted $600.00 to rebuild what I have or $1,200.00 to install all new. Just seems to me to be expensive. If I can but the spring packs and hardware I can do it myself and save some money. I have the tools and knowhow to do it. But I want it done right and beefed up for the weight. So I may just byte the bullet and take it to the spring shop. But I like to research thing's before I spend my hard earned money. And right now I have the time since I'm laid up recovering from surgery. I got nothing but time.

Wow Man that’s expensive! I’m like you I research for the best price also. You could drive to Akron and save some bucks Lol! I guess finding an old school spring shop with a forge in your neck of the woods is impossible? Good Luck healing!

2 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Wow Man that’s expensive! I’m like you I research for the best price also. You could drive to Akron and save some bucks Lol! I guess finding an old school spring shop with a forge in your neck of the woods is impossible? Good Luck healing!

Thanks for the good luck I go back to work on the 9th . Yeah I guess it's like a lot of thing's these day's you just order one from China.????

5 hours ago, linda s said:

Or get some from a salvage yard. This place is showing some in stock.

Highway 64 Truck and Auto Salvage USA-NM(Kirtland) Request_Quote 505-598-5584 / 866-334-5092 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif

Not all of our springs are shot so I don't know what happened to your but might be a cheaper option.

Linda S

Thanks linda s I will call them but not for springs I don't want to risk a used spring. I will probably just bite the bullet and take it to the spring shop. I am also looking for dually rims and front one ton suspension. They are about 4 hours away.

I don't think there is a 1 ton front suspension. It's just different wheel hubs so they can take the dually rims. Actual suspension parts are the same. Same place does have dually wheels listed. This is where I do my searches

http://car-part.com/

Many of the parts listed may no longer be in stock but it's better than nothing.

If it was me I would grab some springs off of any Toyota in a salvage yard and use the leaves to fix your bad side and maybe add to the good side a bit. Then I would get an air suspension system. All later model Toyota motorhomes came with air suspension standard. The manufacturers realized springs alone weren't enough.

Linda S