Some time back, I installed an over-sized aluminum radiator during the course of an engine rebuild and had to modify the stock plastic radiator shroud to get a good seal around it. I've always liked the stock 2-piece shroud because the lower, detachable part with clips allows one to easily unbolt and slide-up and out the upper shroud without messing with the fan assy. I am now wanting to go back to the stock radiator, can't use the modified shroud and have been told there are 4-5 different shrouds for the 22RE/R available from Toyota alone.(starting at about $130 for the cheapest) Aftermarket resources online seem to show mostly 1-piece shrouds and some have no picture, or show 3 different angle-shots of different parts and some show one-size-fit's-all 22RE/R!  :clown2:.  Has anyone found a reliable aftermarket resource for the 2-piece style of the original per below?   Used one's are impossible to find near me because the stock one's are equipped with little slotted plastic "ears" that mechanics seem to love to over-tighten and tend to break off rendering them relatively useless. I still have the lower shroud and clips and just need the larger upper shroud. I know auto tranny and manual tranny are different, but can't see why there would be more versions than that. Maybe 4WD is different also...   Anyhow, input from anyone with any luck in finding previous solutions would be appreciated.  As I said, I'd really like to stay with the easily removable 2-piece solution, but maybe there's an aftermarket 1-piece shroud that comes out just as easily? Thanks for any input and hope everyone is weathering the first rains well,

BR,

TG

OEM assy web.jpg

Local pic a part would be a place to start.

Why go back to Stock ???

Runs warmer than any of the 4  previous '84-'85 Toyota trucks I've owned and we've eliminated everything but the newer Chinese radiator/core.  I figured I got a known-good stock unit sitting in the basement, why not check it out before the next step of installing thermostatically-controlled electric fans.   I've had my share of bad-out-of the box stuff, especially from China and it's the main suspect at this time.

TG

Edited by ToyoGuy
punkshooayshun

Good call, thanks Linda. Decided to take off the modified one to Toyota and get the correct part number off it. Strangely, it seems to fit the '85 pickup you rode in (22RE) and the Sunrader 22R too.... Looks like I'll be buying online for sure. Even Larry down here at Yodaman in Santa Rosa doesn't currently have anything and he usually has most of what I need. The other thing I can do is just tell him to set the next correct one he gets in aside.  Even with the tabs broken off, I can probably just pop-rivet some aluminum brackets on it. Also, I believe up to '79 they had sheet metal shrouds and some will fit, but they are usually so rusted that by the time you wire wheel them to paint them, they're a goner. The other thing is that they have 4 small bolts holding the lower shroud on and they're a hassle to get to. The plastic one's you can just unsnap from above and you don't have to pull the splash pan underneath to get to them. Thanks,

TG

Invest some time before you spend $$$. Run the aluminum rad with out the shroud and see how it works. Then install the OEM and run it the without the shroud and compare the two. If OEM is cooler then by all means buy a shroud, if hotter then look else were.

Sound thinking WME. I'm so used to having lot's of duplicate and extra parts on hand, like I used to, that I get impatient when I come up short. Like E said, "fools rush in" :)