Engine Swap - Rear Sway Bar - 15" Dually Wheels = 4X4 Sunrader

RunningMan

Hi.

I have an 1986 Sunrader 22RE 4x4 and it needs some upgrades and attention. i have been trolling these pages for info on several areas and have read endless posts on all of these subjects, but i am hoping for some direct responses here...

is it worth the effort to swap out a 22re with a 5vze? it just can get out of its own way and was sitting for many years. its just not worth rebuilding the 22re

the rear sway bar was taken off and re-welded incorrectly.. the install is hack so need to remove it and put it back the way it was from factory. but without a schematic or pic of the original i am a bit lost if the bar itself is even the original.

maybe out of an old Dyna? anyone have a good pic of their 4x4 1 ton 6 lug dually axle?

. are there any 15" rear rims that can be swapped out for the stock dually 14"s.. i want to make all 6 tires 15's

what brake upgrades are there upfront? i heard there is a possible bolt on rotor/caliper swap off a newer 1990's tacoma ?

any and all suggestions and comments welcomed.

a-

post-8201-0-61245000-1434493505_thumb.jp

Edited by RunningMan

Hey Running man. Did you stop at a shop in Salt lake recently and ask about a 3.4 engine? Owner of the shop called my friend Randy who also has a Sunrader 4x4 to tell him about it. That shop is where he goes for his Sunrader. I have another friend who's doing the 3.4 upgrade on his 4x4. You have 15 inch wheels now right. There is a place in southern Cal who makes wheels for the full float axle in 15 inches. I can't tell. Is your rear axle a regular 4x4 or has it been upgraded to the full float and your running different size tires.

Linda S

Hey Running man. Did you stop at a shop in Salt lake recently and ask about a 3.4 engine? Owner of the shop called my friend Randy who also has a Sunrader 4x4 to tell him about it. That shop is where he goes for his Sunrader. I have another friend who's doing the 3.4 upgrade on his 4x4. You have 15 inch wheels now right. There is a place in southern Cal who makes wheels for the full float axle in 15 inches. I can't tell. Is your rear axle a regular 4x4 or has it been upgraded to the full float and your running different size tires.

Linda S

hey linda.

yes i did pass by a few shops in slc. - small world- i am going to swap a 5VZE 3.4 but not being from there and pressed for time i was searching for the right person that do the conversion correctly and make it look as if it came oem stock.

i just might end up doing it myself as i rebuild old motorcycles and have had a few sr5's in my time.

my rear axle is a floater but was modified improperly. somewhere along the line the shocks were relocated and a sway bar was added above the axle. however i do see the original lower mounts on the axle to accept a sway bar. i was looking at the older Dynas and the axle looks very similar.

the welds are horrible and the placement is suspect when the suspension is in full travel.

i believe the rears were 14"rims. 15's all around would be best and help the stock gearing a bit. i might install an arb air locker in rear and run a compressor off of it. this way i can plug and inflate tires instead of roadside changes and at the same time put in 4.88.

lots of research for what is best... i am open to suggestions

No rear sway bar on my mine. 22ret 4x4. I have 15" rims running LT21575R15 Maxxis M&S

so you swapped your rears for 15" rims?

how has the gearing changed on highway?

I thought I'd seen all the Sunrader 4x4's but I don't recognize yours. Is it an 86 or 87 model. Where did you find it. The custom 15 inch wheels are available here

https://plus.google.com/105809128954768178892/about?gl=us&hl=en

If your on the road maybe you can wander that way and save the shipping. They are expensive and he might tell you he doesn't have the time. You have to sweeten him up a bit sometimes but he made wheels for another friend of mine just over a month ago.

Linda S

I thought I'd seen all the Sunrader 4x4's but I don't recognize yours. Is it an 86 or 87 model. Where did you find it. The custom 15 inch wheels are available here

https://plus.google.com/105809128954768178892/about?gl=us&hl=en

If your on the road maybe you can wander that way and save the shipping. They are expensive and he might tell you he doesn't have the time. You have to sweeten him up a bit sometimes but he made wheels for another friend of mine just over a month ago.

Linda S

mine is an 86. it is in storage and i am no where near it to see what rims are on the rear. i think they were 14's. its has a floating rear. did these year 4x4's come with 15's? also the welds on the rims look horrible. like they were stick welded. not very safe for an off road 4x4 in my opinion.

here is a pic of a rear i found online... i was hoping to buy the sway bar off of it.

i will look into the link. thanks. the plan is to bring this rig back to oem spec and better. motor upgrade with dash ac, suspension with adj air bladders, 15" off road wheels tires. i will post one day all of the repairs and upgraded i have done or will do. the list is getting longer each day. ;)

post-8201-0-61203800-1434559511_thumb.pn

Edited by RunningMan

is there a front brake upgrade option? no point in putting time and money into rebuilding calipers and recutting rotors if there is a newer year toyota upgrade. i have seen some mention of tundra brakes but still havent found a clear explanation on what will fit on the 86 independent front end on the sunrader.

Edited by RunningMan

What Derek is referring to is your rig came with a standard non floating 4x4 axle and 15 inch duallies that are referred to as fake duallies. They have a regular wheel on the inside and an extra deep dually wheel bolted to that. The extreme offset of the outside wheel put stress on the bearings and could cause axle failure. Your outside wheel looks pretty deep. Might be possible they welded in a new plate to fit the new axle and used your old wheels. Might explain the bad welds. Better check that when you can. New sway bars are available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hellwig-7539-Rear-Non-Adjustable-Sway-Bar-0-75-Diameter-Brand-New-/301653222570?fits=Year%3A1986%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3APickup%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.4L&hash=item463beee4aa&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

Linda

Looks like a full float axle to me. If you want to use the 4x4 your supposed to have wheels and tires that match so they don't turn at different speeds and destroy your tranny or driveline. Like I said only place I know of to get the 15 inch duallies is that place in southern Cal, Custom and Commercial Wheel

Linda

Looks like a full float axle to me. If you want to use the 4x4 your supposed to have wheels and tires that match so they don't turn at different speeds and destroy your tranny or driveline. Like I said only place I know of to get the 15 inch duallies is that place in southern Cal, Custom and Commercial Wheelis this axle revalled?

is this axle recalled?

if not - why would toyota put 14" duallys on a 4x4 with 15' fronts if they cant be used off road in 4wd?!!

update: i spoke to ray at CCW. he made the original wheels for the sunraders. i just need to figure out what axle i truly have and why the previous owner (s) modified the sway bar and shocks.

are there any visuals that can distinguish between a recalled axle and the one best made for the 4x4? i want to use this eventually for real off road adventures

Edited by RunningMan

is this axle recalled?

if not - why would toyota put 14" duallys on a 4x4 with 15' fronts if they cant be used off road in 4wd?!!

Toyota did not put the full float axle on any 4x4's. At some time that axle was switched out to the stronger one. Easy to tell for sure. Measure your lug pattern. Full float is a wide 7.25 across the center. A 4x4 axle is 5.5. Toyota only made the full float cab and chassis with 2wd and they all had 14 inch wheels. Whom ever switched yours probably didn't know about the one and only place that will make a 15 inch wheel for these. No the full float axle is the good one, no recall. Yes it's a lot like a Dana, strong

Linda

Correction Toyota put full floats on Land Cruisers overseas and here starting about 1993 but offset rear end makes it difficult to use on the motorhomes

Sorry I am answering questions on an Odyssey and yours both 4x4's got you guys mixed up. Your Sunrader originally came with fake 15 inch duallies in the back. Inside wheel is a regular no offset wheel and only outside is a deep dish dually. Since yours are 14 inches they are probably the real duallies.

lidia

thanks for the efforts on a quick and detailed responses. its great on forums when members take the time to respond.

much appreciated!

a-

Linda S

Linda, what shop in SLC are you talking about? I live in SLC and would be interested!

Looks like a full float axle to me. If you want to use the 4x4 your supposed to have wheels and tires that match so they don't turn at different speeds and destroy your tranny or driveline. Like I said only place I know of to get the 15 inch duallies is that place in southern Cal, Custom and Commercial Wheel

Linda

Tires and wheels do NOT have to match for a good working 4WD. Just the outer diameters of the tires have to be a close match . . OR . . a total mismatch of outer diameters can be used if the gearing is tweaked. Thus the reason why there are many 4WD farm tractors with tiny front wheels and large back wheels. The ideal setup in a road truck with 4WD is to have the front wheels turning slightly faster then the back so the front pulls you instead of the back pushing you. There are plenty of 14" and 15" tires with the same outside diameters.

There are plenty of 14" and 15" tires with the same outside diameters.

Perhaps, but with the need for clearance between foolie tires limiting the width of 14" rear tires, there are few 15" tires for the front with the same diameter. And fewer if you're looking for an offroad tire.

If I was burdened with a 4x4, I'd look into having 2 custom 15" rims for the rear and run 'singles'. Got to be cheaper for 2 singles than 4 foolies. :)

Rear axle looks to be a full floater,

Looks like the same setup I have. You wheel diameter are probably the same front and rear but your lugs don't line up like mine. Right now I carry a spare for the front and none for the rear, figured I'd limp into a town if I get a flat. Would like someday to buy matching rear rims for the front so one spare will do me for front and back. I'm running 15" front and back though.

Looks like the same setup I have. You wheel diameter are probably the same front and rear but your lugs don't line up like mine. Right now I carry a spare for the front and none for the rear, figured I'd limp into a town if I get a flat. Would like someday to buy matching rear rims for the front so one spare will do me for front and back. I'm running 15" front and back though.

You need the front hubs and brake caliper mounts to use those 6 lug X 7.25" wheels on the front. Easy bolt-on swap for a later 80s Toyota. Not so easy if a 70s truck with coil-spring front suspension and dual-piston brake calipers. I've got matching wheels now with my 1978 Chinook with FF dually rear - but it REALLY needs a paint job and some body work. Still trying to find a way tor remove what the cajun did with his spray can. In the photos with my three Asian micro-minis side-by-side - only the 1984 Datsun has front wheels that do not match the back FF dually.

post-6578-0-17062500-1435062877_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-50521600-1435062879_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-11008400-1435062931_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-46102900-1435062985_thumb.jp

You need the front hubs and brake caliper mounts to use those 6 lug X 7.25" wheels on the front. Easy bolt-on swap for a later 80s Toyota. Not so easy if a 70s truck with coil-spring front suspension and dual-piston brake calipers. I've got matching wheels now with my 1978 Chinook with FF dually rear - but it REALLY needs a paint job and some body work. Still trying to find a way tor remove what the cajun did with his spray can. In the photos with my three Asian micro-minis side-by-side - only the 1984 Datsun has front wheels that do not match the back FF dually.

which year front rims would work on my 86? it would be a plus to upgrade the calipers and rotors as well.

Edited by RunningMan