• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yeah, anyone know where I can get an extra 6 lug dually wheel for a spare?

I've got several. I've got 6-lug for Toyota FF duallies and 6 lug for Nissan/Datsun FF duallies. Cost around $40 just to ship one, however. You're better off finding locally unless you happen to be driving distance from norhern Michigan.If so, come and get one. Send a message.

I got 4 of the 8 GoForm G325 in 185r14C 8 ply ($480 for 8, free shipping) from FedEx the other day. Got 'em put on yesterday and man what a difference. I talked to the tire guy while he was working on it and he said I will be much happier with these 8 ply tires as opposed to the 4 ply passenger car tires that were on it before. The ebay seller only sent 1 set of four by mistake but the others are on their way so I got the rears replaced for now. You can feel a definite difference but, just like with the shocks, something even close to appropriate for your vehicle is always an improvement over sub-standard items. I'll keep everyone posted on tire and shock progress. Thank you to everyone for inspiration and information, it's been a big help!

Finally got my other 4 tires from the shipper, and my new dually spare wheel (ebay $77 free ship. WOOHOO!!!) mounted and balanced them yesterday. SOOOO much better than the passenger car tires that were on it before. Steering is easier, ride has tightened considerably (in a good way).

Anyway, I have 2 spares now (front 5 lug, rear 6 lug). Anyone else have this issue?Any suggestions on where to carry them? Thanks!!!!

Mount the spare on the front. I've always liked the way it looks. Not like aerodynamics would be diminished any more than they already are. I doubt it would affect cooling. I've seen that setup on toyotas in the desert.

They shipped it UPS ground.

I have a hatch in the center of the back wall for tool storage and a big picture window right above it.

Vermonter, that sounds great. What about the 2nd spare?

Two of these mounted on your rear bumper will hold the tires and they fold down for access to your storage compartment.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Ultra-Fab-Products/UF15-954730.html?feed=npn&gclid=CI3srbiQ28YCFcOBfgodFy4LHg

Mounting one on the front would require a front hitch mount attached to the frame. Lots more money and I don't seem to be able to find one that fits your year truck.

Linda S

I. bought one of those to get my spare off the back wall . we had to do some reworking and welding on it the one I got was too low but works great now. my bumper has been reinforced.

I have one of the sewer hose holder rear bumpers. Are those stout enough to hold 2 tires and wheels?

The one I posted is made to fit a 4 inch bumper like yours. As far as how well it's attached you would have to get under there and check. Look for thick sturdy frame attachments and solid welds and no rust. Try jumping up and down on it and see if it wobbles at all. With an extra fuel tank and 2 spares you are adding a lot of weight to this camper. For room for 2 tires back there I was thinking, you might be able to get them pretty close together by mounting the dually wheel facing out. Might even be able to overlap a little so no worries about blocking tail lights.

Linda S

Good point Linda, yeah it is a lot of weight but I am definitely not taking out the gas tank and I don't have a choice on the spares so it'll be a balancing act to say the least. Especially when we boondock, full of water, propane, fuel, food, 2 people and a dog OMG is it even gonna roll when I step on the gas? LOL!!!

Concerning the front wheel mount; if you know a guy who can weld, you can easily make a spare mount on the front that bolts to the lower frame loops. Scrap metal and a welder, a friend and an afternoon. It sounds pretty romantic. Anyway, it can easily be done. I guess I'm wondering why you can't mount your other spare underneath the frame between the duallies, like everyone else? Did I miss that post?

Hello all, just a quick update on the GoForm 185/r14C tires. Along with the new shocks the Goforms have really stiffened (in a good way) the ride quite nicely, road noise is slightly more than the 4 ply passenger car tires that were on her before. It's hard to hear the road noise over a screaming 4 banger going 65 anyway!They do pick up rocks in the wider tread troughs but they get tossed at around 15 mph. Only driven in the hard rain once but the tires handled no differently than they do on dry pavement. The rear duals are almost maxed at 63 psi each (max 65 psi), the fronts are at 45 psi currently but I'll probably bump it up to 50-52 and see if she handles any better still just a little splashy in the front end, but worlds better than before. Let's see, I'll give Discount Tire a shout out, they mounted, balanced, disposed of old tires, and threw in 8 new metal valve stems for a grand total of $150 including lifetime balances and rotations. I told they have to dismount and remount every tire to rotate them (5 lug front, 6 lug rear), they that was included. I'll keep you guys posted and questioned on this and my many other DIY endeavors.....

• 1 month later...

Going on 1000 miles on the GoForms with no issues. No sidewall failures or bubbling, no odd wear signs yet. Seems to be a good tire forthe money. Leaving on a 10k mile trip in a couple weeks, so the real test has yet to come.

• 1 month later...

Well over 11,000 miles on the GoForm tires and no issues. Even wear, no sidewall issues even after curbing them many times. No evident cosmetic issues. I beat the heck out of them in New York City on the poorly maintained roads and bridges, and they took me from Vermont to California and back to Maine in a month. For the price, I'd say they were a smart buy.

I've got 9000 miles on my Federal tires that are made in Taiwan. Lots of bad gravel roads as well as paved highways. Not even any signs of wear yet. Ecovan version. Around $58 each here in northern Michigan.

post-6578-0-72111800-1447032500_thumb.jp

Everyone bashes the low-cost tires because they associate cost with reliability or quality. It's not always the case. $58 is extremely affordable and so was the $53 or so I payed for my Goforms. All it boils down to is some people feel good about buying a $500 vase and some people are happy with the $20 vase. (I'm only saying that in reference to Goform vs. it's competitors in our size range). Relating all brands of asian made tires to the stigma of the generalized "asian tires are junk" theory is not accurate, because not all brands of tires made in the asian countries contributed to that stigma. Not to mention; with a little research you can see who makes or finances the manufacturing of the product you're about to buy. A simple google search will tell you that a lot of the "no-name" tires are made by reputable companies as a cost-effective alternative to try and gain the more customers from the frugal market. Which, in our case with the Goforms, are made with "hankooks technology".

Federals have always been a good tire as far as I am concerned, and I've run them on several cars of mine. I only had one instance where a Federal tire was less than satisfactory, and that was a "sport" tire made by Federal. Once the tires had worn down to about 50% tread, they screamed at 20-35mph. So loud It was giving me a headache over the sound of my radio. I blame the tread design, although the tires had no damage or flaws and would've gone another 15k miles had I been able to put up with the noise.

I say, if you can buy a sufficient tire for the job at 50% of the cost of the big-name alternative, and have it perform the same exact way with the same exact reliability...why buy the $500 vase?

My tires will die of old age long before they wear out! I am not going to spring for Michelins just to sit in the driveway and rot. I won't buy Michelins anyway, the only thing they are superior at is advertising!

I could find little on the GoForms, so did a GoForm complaint search and found nothing. They seem to be well accepted in Europe and Asia and new to the US.

At 5 years if they do not have many miles on them I will try and sell them to someone who puts on lots of miles and buy new. Worked out well with my last motor home.

I do not have enough use on mine to provide any input so appreciate the info from people putting the miles on. Jim