5 lug rear axles

fred heath

I recently purchased a 1979 Toyota "Galavan" motor home. After having read the forum on rear axle problems, I'm a little concerned. The home has 95K origional miles. There is no shower or toilet facilities inside. There is a single bowl ss sink, and a hose hook up outside (factory installed).

The rear axle is 5 lug with duel rear wheels. The wheels appear to be welded together. This is a very small unit, but does have gas burners, ref, and full size flip out bed.

I plan to remove most of the appliances as I don't feel Ill really use them.

The seller, who's the second owner for the past 10 years stated he had to problems with the axles.

Should I be concerned. I would like to take it cross country in the near future. Thank You.

The only fix is the proper 1ton axle

Band aids are

1. Use more air pressure on inside dual

2. Weigh your toy if the rear axle weight is right you can run stock rims with single tires

3. In anyevent replace rear bearings an maybe axles

Check ebay for axles

From the little I know about the GalaVan (small, 16ft, light & Canadian), I'll say you're OK. But I would suggest you have the rear axle serviced (new bearings & seals. Axle inspection). From reading the paperwork for the Recall (which applied to newer, heavier, 18ft+ motorhomes), the axles failed due to flexing and the flexing was caused by the bearings failing. So with good bearings and axles that haven't started to fail, you should be OK.

This is what you've got?

http://books.google....ved=0CGEQ6AEwCA

Which side of the border are you on?

BTW #1, they were also offered on the Datsun chassis. And more pictures of a Datsun version being rebuilt.

http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/bugabago/

BTW #2, since the GalaVan probably didn't weigh any more, you could probably convert to single rear wheels like the Chinook or Bandit. Get it weighed first.

post-3557-0-40456900-1323558302_thumb.jp

Very small and light weight. Unless you plan on loading up with a lot of stuff., I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just because of the age though wouldn't hurt to have bearings and axles inspected before a long trip.

LS

I recently purchased a 1979 Toyota "Galavan" motor home. After having read the forum on rear axle problems, I'm a little concerned. The home has 95K origional miles. There is no shower or toilet facilities inside. There is a single bowl ss sink, and a hose hook up outside (factory installed).

The rear axle is 5 lug with duel rear wheels. The wheels appear to be welded together. This is a very small unit, but does have gas burners, ref, and full size flip out bed.

I plan to remove most of the appliances as I don't feel Ill really use them.

The seller, who's the second owner for the past 10 years stated he had to problems with the axles.

Should I be concerned. I would like to take it cross country in the near future. Thank You.

I tend to agree with Derek and Linda with one caveat!

Get the vehicle weighed, that way you'll know exactly where your at. put your normal stuff in it before being weighing

Places that sell gravel / dirt have scales, You don't need an official "weight certificate", your just curious as to its weight . Make sure you tell them that as the "Certificate" may be higher price. Truck scales may also do it, but they could be pricy. (I'm thinking $5 - $10)

If your near Toledo Ohio, call me, I have a scale where I work at, I just need to be in the office when you drive over it. :-)

Again, You may not have an issue, but rear wheel bearings, lube and inspection will be high priority. The small campers are probably operating a little over their gross weight (you should be able to get your VIN and check it), but I think these are 1/2 ton chassis??????????, That means you can carry 1000 lbs load in the truck, Gross weight might be in the 4500 lb range????????

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The only fix is the proper 1ton axle

Band aids are

1. Use more air pressure on inside dual

2. Weigh your toy if the rear axle weight is right you can run stock rims with single tires

3. In anyevent replace rear bearings an maybe axles

Check ebay for axles

Thank you.

Very small and light weight. Unless you plan on loading up with a lot of stuff., I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just because of the age though wouldn't hurt to have bearings and axles inspected before a long trip.

LS

Thank you.

I tend to agree with Derek and Linda with one caveat!

Get the vehicle weighed, that way you'll know exactly where your at. put your normal stuff in it before being weighing

Places that sell gravel / dirt have scales, You don't need an official "weight certificate", your just curious as to its weight . Make sure you tell them that as the "Certificate" may be higher price. Truck scales may also do it, but they could be pricy. (I'm thinking $5 - $10)

If your near Toledo Ohio, call me, I have a scale where I work at, I just need to be in the office when you drive over it. :-)

Again, You may not have an issue, but rear wheel bearings, lube and inspection will be high priority. The small campers are probably operating a little over their gross weight (you should be able to get your VIN and check it), but I think these are 1/2 ton chassis??????????, That means you can carry 1000 lbs load in the truck, Gross weight might be in the 4500 lb range????????

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thank you.

Rear to convert the rear end to 5-lugs you need to replace the 4-lug axles and drums with 5-lug units. The axles that are needed will be either off of a Ranger, Bronco II or Aerostar van. From an '83 to '92 4 cylinders or 3.0L V6 Ranger/Bronco II with a 7.5" rear end you will need two driver's side axles. Only the driver's side will work as the pumpkin on these rear ends is offset and the axles are different lengths (you need the longer of the two axles). It should measure 29-5/32". From an Aerostar you will need two of the passenger side axles from an 86 to 97 model. The axles are all the same so they can be mix-matched (i.e. - one driver's side axle from a Ranger and one passenger side axle from an Aerostar). You can use the brake drums from either side of the above listed vehicles but make sure that they are 9" drums. The 4.0L Rangers came with an 8.8" rear end with 10" drums - these will not work. Prices will vary, of course, but I was able to get the axles and drums from a local "Pull It Yourself" type yard. The axles run about $20 each and the drums will run about $15 each. Be sure to check the axles to make sure they are not bent or worn on the bearing surface and check the drums to ensure that they are smooth or can be turned to no more than the maximum diameter.

Don't quite undestand what your talking about. We are discussing Toyota motorhomes, none of which ever had a 4 lug axle. All 5 or 6 lug but the best case scenario is 6 lug full floater. And why would we replace our stuff with Ford parts when suitable Toyota parts are available. Did you get your groups mixed up

LS

Rear to convert the rear end to 5-lugs you need to replace the 4-lug axles and drums with 5-lug units. The axles that are needed will be either off of a Ranger, Bronco II or Aerostar van. From an '83 to '92 4 cylinders or 3.0L V6 Ranger/Bronco II with a 7.5" rear end you will need two driver's side axles. Only the driver's side will work as the pumpkin on these rear ends is offset and the axles are different lengths (you need the longer of the two axles). It should measure 29-5/32". From an Aerostar you will need two of the passenger side axles from an 86 to 97 model. The axles are all the same so they can be mix-matched (i.e. - one driver's side axle from a Ranger and one passenger side axle from an Aerostar). You can use the brake drums from either side of the above listed vehicles but make sure that they are 9" drums. The 4.0L Rangers came with an 8.8" rear end with 10" drums - these will not work. Prices will vary, of course, but I was able to get the axles and drums from a local "Pull It Yourself" type yard. The axles run about $20 each and the drums will run about $15 each. Be sure to check the axles to make sure they are not bent or worn on the bearing surface and check the drums to ensure that they are smooth or can be turned to no more than the maximum diameter.