Jump to content

Inside lights only work on house power not on batteries anymore.


Recommended Posts

 
Hi , I have a 91 V6 warrior. Before every time I unplugged the house electric the battery 12 v would take over immediately. Gradually the 12 v would came with a hesitation. And now it won't come on except sometimes it comes on by itself . My suspicion is on the red breaker, what is that  for and how to test it. My batteries seem to be good and they are connected to a solar panel. I checked the ground connection on the battery and it is okay. I also have another question to ask . The fan makes a lot of noise when hooked to house electric. Can I find the fan anywhere online to replace it? I have added a picture of the fuse panel.
Thank you very much.
 

 

20200831_160647.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone please  tell me what function the red breaker has on the left. It seems that it doesn't do anything.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I can tell you is that’s a 120V a/c breaker. Possibly for your rooftop air conditioning. But not used for anything 12V d/c.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got the same year Warrior, and the red breaker is supposed to feed your roof AC unit, like Fred said. Of course, things can and do get modified by PO’s over the years...
 

That old Magnatek converter unit of yours needs to go IMO; I swapped mine out four years ago for a new unit. Not a lot of dough for a 30A Powermax and totally worth it. In my case I kept the original fuse panel and breakers, since they were fine and don’t really “wear.”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinks for the responses. The convertor works fine when using sure power, The fan only is load  when it is not outside. But when it is not plugged to sure power the lights don't work. Is there a relay somewhere between the battery and the interior lights? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The same thing happens to mine occasionally and I bang on the fuse/breaker box once or twice with a broom handle and the 12 volt systems pop back on. This only happens when plugged into shore power, and it does not affect the 120 volt outlets or the AC (also 120 volts).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it does have a relay it switches off the battery when plugged in (not every converter works this way older ones did) This allowed full power to the lights, pump etc. the older stuff had have DC loads that could come close to maxing out the converter. Someone said they had the same issue and would bang on the converter to make it work that's a telltale sign. Your black line on the fuse panel is 120 volts + did you check for voltage both sides of the fuse? Where the breakers are is strictly 120 volts AC there is nothing battery inside that area. I can not tell about the wiring because of the picture but the buss the breakers are connected to is the same for both so if one is hot they both are. It's appears to be a 15 amp. Some units were set up using a 30 breaker as a main breaker so it would have a 30 and 1 or 2 15's. It has lethal voltage in that area so be very careful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Friends, I banged on this and that on the convertor and all of a sudden lights came on 😆

Tonight I have to connect to the 120V again . Hopefully it won't get stuck again. I will shut the blue breaker and then connect the shore power and then turn it on. I heard that is a good practice to do ..will tell what happened later.  Thank you guys a lot.😷

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to burnish the contact points, use 1200 wet and dry sand paper. A new style converter wont have the relay

Link to post
Share on other sites

Friends , my problem seems to be solved with the valuable information that was provided. The problem is exactly the relay. I will use a 1500 grade sandpaper that I have and polish the points next week. 

Thanks again for this great forum and kind friends.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the load on the contacts is fairly low they probably are just durtty beyond a doubt one of the better upgrades to an old converter is a new converter your camper battery will thank you for that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 7:37 AM, Maineah said:

Because the load on the contacts is fairly low they probably are just durtty beyond a doubt one of the better upgrades to an old converter is a new converter your camper battery will thank you for that. 

Unfortunately I live on a shoe sting(not that it matters) so I have to save the money for what I need and not what I want. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mason said:

Unfortunately I live on a shoe sting(not that it matters) so I have to save the money for what I need and not what I want. 

One work around is a small battery charger and a converter relay bypass.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut about 15" off an old broom handle and clip it near the converter🤡. When you have to use it every time your unplugged, then its time for a new converter.

Start saving your pennies now, check eBay often. You only need something around 30-35 amps, but if you find a good deal on a higher powered one (60 amp)

get it . Because the new converters/chargers are "smart" it wont hurt anything.

 

Edited by WME
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi friends, the relay works most of the time. I haven't touched it in case I make it worse. I read that , electric cleaner or wd 40 works good in cleaning the contacts. Just have to find a thin paper to get it in between  the contacts. 

Thanks again . Wish you all good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...