Sign in to follow this  
cjac

Wood replacment

Does anyone have a idea to replace this without taking off the outside aluminum?  This wood was half rotted and my bunk floor screws to it . 

image_01.png

A metal reinforcement bracket or brackets, screwed into remaining good wood.  Remove rot, replace with a solution twice the old strength if removing metal brackets. Or you could just change over to metal and leave it at that. You just need a good scaffold  to keep the structure secure, otherwise its just wood screws and staples. Can be cut away piecewise or removed whole.

Ok thanks. What brackets would be best to use? I seen some bracket at home depot but they where for 2x4s . 

Going to do it the right way and just replace with some new

15113781712591996919223.jpg

Old wood is out . Time to install the new .

15114636450181684856214.jpg

Naw. Have some metal brackets and screws. 

15114738147261684856214.jpg

Would a corrugated fastener work better than plates and screws ? 

Screenshot_2017-11-27-17-08-57.png

They are very hard to drive in and have a tendency to drive things apart rather than pull them together. Have a look at Kreg tools.

The Kreg jig tool will make a strong joint. Pre glue the joints with TiteBond II and then jig them together. The joint will be stronger than the wood itself.

5 hours ago, Maineah said:

They are very hard to drive in and have a tendency to drive things apart rather than pull them together. Have a look at Kreg tools.

This is very true. All the particle board in toys is held with these fastners (cupboard elements mostly). Thats all they are good for.

9 hours ago, neubie said:

This is very true. All the particle board in toys is held with these fastners (cupboard elements mostly). Thats all they are good for.

Generally they use staples for a reason when a staple is driven with a gun they do not just go straight in they bend a twist following the grain or striking a knot that's why they are so hard to get out.

15 hours ago, cjac said:

Would a corrugated fastener work better than plates and screws ? 

Screenshot_2017-11-27-17-08-57.png

I like corrugated fasteners for some things, but rarely use them anymore. The downside to them is they have to be driven on a very solid surface, such as concrete. Which is not possible when trying to reassemble framework.  My tools of choice would be wood glue, pneumatic stapler and Craig jig.  At the moment I cannot see using a lot of metal fasteners for this, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get it done.  If you put a joint together with metal fasteners it can be ripped apart, a couple screws and wood glue and the wood will likely break before the joint. 

Just bought the kreg jig and some screws at Home Depot for 44 bucks. Going to do some practice drilling on some scrap wood first. Thanks for the info 

15118855741302108786118.jpg

That was easy !    Nice and strong just with one screw . So with that and some wood glue a definite strong hold . 

1511888257272194510439.jpg

4 hours ago, cjac said:

That was easy !    Nice and strong just with one screw . So with that and some wood glue a definite strong hold . 

Terrific tool for any/all woodworking. You just can't imagine all the places where that thing will come in very handy, until you have one... just make sure to adjust the jig (and the screw length) correctly for different material widths.

For a long time I thought the Kreg was just a toy for the talent-less.  I have use mine alot now and like it.   Now you will have to look around for screws, they can get pricey.  Impact tools sells screws on Amazon for a decent price and they have high ratings.     If you are using all softwood, you want the coarse thread screws.

Looks like copyright infringement! Actually for what they are they are pretty cheap for the starter kit.

IF I was building fine cabinets I might spring for the 'real deal'. But for replacing the original 'sticks and staples'? I think deck screws and glue will be an improvement and just fine. :)

9 hours ago, Derek up North said:

IF I was building fine cabinets I might spring for the 'real deal'. But for replacing the original 'sticks and staples'? I think deck screws and glue will be an improvement and just fine. :)

I ended up with pretty much deck screws and glue in some places in my "fine cabinets", well the wall between bathroom and the cupboard really, nothing structural, but do hope they work better than the 1/8th ply and nails solution from manufacturer. At least its beefy sticks, 1/4ply and plenty of glue and patch. 

11 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Hmmm, priced deck screws lately?  Just bought a small box and it was sticker shock! 

aaa.jpg

Edited by jjrbus