89' Dolphin V6 64,000 miles

So I was noticing the smell of gear oil when walking beside the camper on the drivers side, but didn't see anything obvious.  I took her for a little trip and now I have a substantial amount of grease/ gear oil leaking from the rear drivers side hub that has coated my rims with grease and there is a puddle of grease sitting in the bottom of the rim and running out onto the ground!!  I've never seem anything like this and am assuming that it is some kind of rubber seal that has deteriorated?  It would be so great if someone could help me figure out what's going on here and how to fix it.  Thanks so much!

Edited by Badgerbear

as they said.   many links and discussions on this forum.   A little bit more involved then the usual brake job - but not rocket science!

PS there are 2 seals in each axle - they should both be replaced. One is a 2 sided seal.

The rear bearings are packed like the fronts. That is why there 2 seals.

5 hours ago, linda s said:

It's not uncommon for the axle seals to fail.  Need to pull axles and install new seals. I would do both sides. Also good time for brakes if needed 

Thanks.  what does pulling the axles mean? I searched and didn't have much luck finding any info, probably user error.  Could anyone provide a link with info on how to pull the axles and part numbers ect? That would be awesome because I've never messed with repacking bearings or  pulling axles much and it's a little intimidating sounding.  I have done my own brakes a bunch, but never duallys.  This is a dumb question but, I have only replaced brake pads that go in a caliper    then onto the rotor.. is this something different like drum brakes? Is there pads and caliper deal?  

They are completely different, proper tools do help none are very expensive. If it is something you have never done remove both drums first then do one side at a time so you can be sure they match. One brake shoe has more lining than the other the smaller lining is the one that faces forward it is important they are not reversed.

here are some things that will help.  From your posts, I get the impression that you may not be familiar with brake jobs, etc.   The pdf shows how the floating axle is dis assembled, It can be done without the special tools listed.   If I have misjudged, you should be able to get the drift from this info.   You will have  a few questions I am sure.   

parts I used when I did my last rear brakes...

The inner seal should be a motor city s-226285  (this is a double sided seal)

the small outer seal should be a federal mogul 710076

wheel cylinders. I have a number for one side w37654

advance auto:  wearever silver nb523

NOTE: all these parts are available from multiple mfgrs.  Note that the inner seal is available as one sided and two sided - you want the 2 sided.

toyota-1ton_bearings.pdf

P1030016.JPG

Edited by DanAatTheCape

• 2 weeks later...

There are really good videos on YouTube . Look them up they will give the  confidence to do the job. You will learn a great deal. 

Edited by 1988dolphin