New insulation, whats best?

Yostfmx

I'm almost ready to put new insulation in my Sunrader and was going to use this 3M 4x8 sheet of... well is that yellowish foam with blue plastic on both sides. Looks good to me? It seems like it's that or the white Styrofoam. Any other options? I'm going to put tin foil on both sides of it.

What has anyone else used?

Hey Yostfmx,

That picture I thought was maybe your rig was actually a guy in the group called bajadulce. I didn't put it together until I was digging thru some strings tonight .

ANyway, he has a topic called: "put the sawzall down". It has some good pics of his rader surf-rig along with his roof-raising / insulation solution. Maybe you can get some ideas, anyway, interesting project. As far as insulation for me, I am going to check in with a guy I saw who had a Ford van 4x4 that was very "tech'd-out". He used a very thin product that was very flexible with a supposedly very high R rating. Not sure of the price. I'll check back when I get the info.

ToyoGuy (Paul)

Yea, I heard that someone on here raised there sunrader roof. I tried searching for it a couple of nights ago but can never get anything from the "Search", I'll try again. I got my roof all back on and glassed, I'll post a pic later (on my laptop). Wow its tall! It looks like a beast now!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got word back from this custom 4x4 RV guy. Here's what I'm going to use.

I'll probably double-wall, one layer on the fibergalss and one layer against the paneling back in the walls.

(It's comparativeley cheap supposedly)

Here's the contact NFO if you're interested. Sorry it took so long.

TG

The stuff is called Reflectix, Home Depot, Lowes has it in big rolls.

It has a moderate R value( R-4 or less), most of its "effect" comes from the foil face reflecting the heat away, from the outside, and the heat back in, in the inside.

It does work and I used it as an under the carpet insulator in the cab.

I think on the wall and ceiling your choice of the foam would be better. For the best use both on the ceiling. Reflectix first, then the foam, then the ceiling material

Thanks so much! I'm going to be putting in this week. Yea I think I will go with what you said WME thanks. With the tin foil I'm going to put on both sides it should be very good. Haha I'm going to be living in it at the beach in So Cal. Not like its bad weather...

Ya on the beach the temps will be moderate, so foam on the sides will work. But in the day you are far enough south to get a lot of heat gain through the roof, so the refelectix will help controll it..

Yea cool.

Anyone know if urethane foam (yellow stuff) is better or styrene foam (white stuff)? Couldn't figure out that R value thing when I looked at it either... maybe I'm stupid i don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

How has your project progressed? I recently purchased an '83 Sunrader [very much a project]. Seems as though the Sunrader is most suited for the humidity of the coastal regions. I lived in Juneau for thirty years and nothing survives the milldew. I was in the home const business so replacement of rotten material was 40% of the work. I now live in New Mexico where the r h is under 20%. Nothing rots but the blowing sand is another story.

The ceiling over the front bed area has been pulled off, the insulation, still attached to the one eighth inch paneling. That insulation is brittle, and since I don't have to worry about water migration, throught the insulation, I have to figure out how to adhear the paneling back on. I would like to put a 3/4" of pink or blue board, and the put the paneling back in place. Still a little nervous about the fastening of the "new'' ceiling to the 1/2" furring strips- they look to be glued or fibreglassed to the roof. The white board is water permable- vapor passes through and condenses on the next impermable surface. I wonder if the UV rays go through the fibreglass and destroy the old insulation?

The foam cushion-in that bed area- are gone. I wonder if they got wet? The guy i bought it from had for a year and didn't have the time [or $?]. My gain, and i love projects. The electrical system , isolaters, rectifiers, and [new ways to spend my hard earned retirement].

I also ended up with a smaller dog, rat terrier. He adopted me and he sure hoggs the bed.

Yostfmx, something to consider depending on what resin you are using is that anything but epoxy resin will disolve polystyrene of any kind (extruded or expanded). A better bet for you may be to use something like Last a foam http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Ca..._materials.html

Really any of the polyeurathane foams will do and they are solvent resistant. The Lastafoam is a bit more reasonably priced than most alternatives. The PVC foams are great structurally, but really expensive. Because of the cost, most large projects (like RV's) are not built using epoxy resin, but I don't know what you are using. Burt Rutan made famous the "Surfboard Technique" of using moldless construction based on extruded polystyrene foam, fiberglass and epoxy resin for his VariEze and LongEze airplanes that set so many world records.

Keith

Well that made my head spin... :huh:

That last a foam $54 for 4' x 8'. My 7 sheets on order, 4' x 8' $7. Thanks for the info, last a foam sounds good but that would be way to much money.

• 5 years later...

Its been a long time but what exactly did you end up using for the insulation that was so cheap at only $7 per sheet?

Well that made my head spin... huh.gif

That last a foam $54 for 4' x 8'. My 7 sheets on order, 4' x 8' $7. Thanks for the info, last a foam sounds good but that would be way to much money.

• 1 month later...

Hi
in uk we have many companies that deal with insulation. best type i have come across is a foil bubble wrap style. comes in a double layer and is equivalent to 65cm of polystyrene. benefits easy to cut and fit also acts as a moisture membrane. not sure on trade name but going to give it a try in my newly rebuilt over cab.