Timing chain guides

fire362

Good morning guys,

I thought I saw someone say to check your timing chain guides to make sure it is metal. I just spoke with a guy who works for Toyota as a mechanic and he wasn't sure what I was talking about. Can someone fill me / him in again?

Thanks,

Ken

The OEM timing chain guides are plastic and seem to subject to damage iwhen the chain wears a bit. The after market has chain guides made from steel and they will survive a slack chain better.

In any case you talking about problems that happen after 60,000 mi.

Thanks WME. Where can I purchase these metal guides? I have 107,000 on mine but so far so good. Would rather be proactive than reactive.

Ken

Thanks WME. Where can I purchase these metal guides? I have 107,000 on mine but so far so good.

Hey Guys,

Saw your post and wanted to say, I have replaced guides on several motors now with these from DOA racing. (http://www.doaracingengines.com) I have ton's of miles on the very first install with absolutely no problems. I have been driving 22R powered vehicles for about 30 yrs now and my experience is, don't put stock one's back in, if you pull the chain cover. The kit is about $80.00 and worth every penny in my opinion. I will purchase the gear and chain setup/kit all together next time. They used to sell a "prolonged high-rev" RV 22R long block, but I don't see it on their web site anymore.

What happens is, the plastic guides wear (the sometimes broken off pieces fall down into the oil pan) , the timing gears wear, the chain wears and stretches, then the "looser" chain starts to slap the inside of the timing chain cover wall, making noise, cutting a set of grooves in it and putting nasty aluminum stuff in the oil sump. Usually you hear it most when the engine starts from cold and the hydraulic tensioner has not yet been stiffened up by the oil pressure. Unless it's really bad, it quiets down some as the motor warms up and the oil pressure goes up. Junk yards have lots of these kicking around to see and usually some that are worn right through to the outside world. Check these DOA guys out, their guides are steel with a quality hardened rubber backing. PS, they got other cool stuff.

Good luck,

ToyoGuy

ToyoGuy

Boy you are right about the plastic guides ToyoGuy I have seen Nissan engines (much longer guides) trash the engines with plastic bits plugging up the oil pick up screen. You know it’s was too late to do your chain in a Toyota when your oil pan fills up with antifreeze seen more then a few timing cases cut right through to the water pump jacket. The rubber backed guides really are the way to go. Wonder why Toyota dropped the two roller chain? Cost I guess, they out lasted the engine.

• 1 month later...