New purchase

Douglas17313

I just purchased a 1987 Gulfstream.  It has 37K carfax miles.  The engine purrs and the transmission shifts smoothly. The window seals are in need of a replacement and my first order of business is to reseal the roof.

Before I even looked at the rig, the previous owner told me about a small leak that was immediately repaired.  It took a bit, but I did find what he was talking about and it is dry.

After the above, what should I, in order, do to restore or upgrade the on board Systems?  

Thanks for any advice you can provide.   I searched for the right right for about two years.

hi there. welcome to toya world. as far as "WHAT SHOULD I DO ? ", you will know as you go. i am not a seasoned veteran, i have had my rig about two years, so the helpful people here are the "old timers". trust me that the advice and suggestions you find from the folk here is invaluable. i have learned so much in a short time. when you have an issue, some one here will have, "been there, done that". enjoy and good luck. joe from dover.

So windows, resealing them best case scenario is to remove them and reinstall with new butyl tape. The rubber parts on the outside aren't what makes the window water tight in most cases. Depending on type of window rubber parts are either bead trim or radial insert trim.

Tires, how old are they. For such low mileage your rig must have done a lot of just sitting. Some people think it means the tires are almost new but age damages tires too. Older than 6 years, they need to be replaced.

Ask away for any issues you need help with and someone will answer

Linda S

Thank  you all for the advice thus far.  I found your site a while back and have been reaching back to it as I have looked for the right rig.   Reading this site and seeing the wealth of knowledge gave me the confidence to actually buy one.  I look forward to the good times owning this unique motorhome will bring.  I also look forward to exchanging ideas and learning from the experience and talent of these members.

My first order of business is to reseal the roof.  It currently has a lot of "caulking " around the vents and a/c.  I see liquid and tape available for sealing.  Is one better than another or does it depend on the application.  I also see varying degrees of cost.  EDPM's cost is just under  $300 for a 4 gallon container and has great reviews.  On the other hand other brands are significantly less.  Is there one brand or type better than another?

• 2 weeks later...

Resealing roof may be a good place to start.  Application determines which product is used. Knowing what material and condition the roof is or is it coated would help with input.  I find a good place for info is you tube videos.