Found a 1987 Toyota Tacoma Conquest...

GypsyRose

Hey all, just looking for a little feedback as this is all new to us. Up until now we've been strictly tent campers, but we are looking for a little more freedom. We are a family of 5 with 3 younger children and just looking for something small and inexpensive that would let us just GO when the urge hits. We would love to have the ability to just stay the night in the occasional Walmart parking lot overnight if need be, which you can't really do in a tent :P  We like cozy and don't really need much except a place to sleep. Figuring hubby & I could take the sofa bed, our boys over the cab, and our daughter on the dinette bed.

I found a 1987 Toyota Tacoma Conquest  on Craigslist locally and was wondering if the price sounded right and what questions we should ask, etc.  It's 4 cylinder, gas, automatic, has a rear passenger side entry door, and a rear kitchen.  This is what the ad says about the camper:

"Camper Was just recently inspected. New Tires installed. Water pump belt is new. Installed new fridge and microwave. K&N Airfilter was also installed. We have had very few problems with this camper. The engine is solid and ONLY HAS 37xxx (37,564 from the odometer photo) miles on it!!!
4000 OBO"

I've seen some ads that haven't been legit, multiple postings in different states with the same pic, etc... This one has a photo of the inspection stickers that actually match our state and whatnot so looks promising? I think... I have the link if that would help. Thanks for any help :)

Haha, good Googling :P That's the one. I didn't know the rules about pics and links and stuff, or I would have just posted it.

Edited by GypsyRose

Why is that a pity? Sorry, total newbie here :unsure: How's the price sound?  Much room to negotiate? And hubby said the same thing about his nails, ha.

This has been a pipe dream for so long *sigh* But don't want to rush into anything... and don't have the money to either.

Not sure on the Tacoma...  Figured it was the truck type or something? *shrugs*

It's not a Tacoma. They didn't exist in 1987 and this with 5 lug fronts is an 1986. Looks decent and mileage looks to be accurate. I think it's worth what they are asking provided there have been no water leaks anywhere. Check all the walls and ceiling for soft areas. Anything rotten can be a total tear down. Lots of people worry about the 5 lug fronts cause it's hard to carry 2 spares. I have 5 lug fronts and it's never been a problem for me. The dorm fridge will drain your batteries pretty fast if you don't have hook ups.

Linda S

• 4 weeks later...

I actually purchased this camper last week.  Before I looked at the unit the seller disclosed small leak that was difficult for me to find during the inspection.  He was very honest about each area. The 37K on the engine is correct according to carfax. There might be some hidden issues but at the price, which he  lowered significantly,  it a good platform to start and learn. I looked for two years before deciding on this unit. 

1 hour ago, Douglas17313 said:

I actually purchased this camper last week.  Before I looked at the unit the seller disclosed small leak that was difficult for me to find during the inspection.  He was very honest about each area. The 37K on the engine is correct according to carfax. There might be some hidden issues but at the price, which he  lowered significantly,  it a good platform to start and learn. I looked for two years before deciding on this unit. 

Very likely this unit is one of the ones with left hand threads on the drivers side rear wheel. Be careful changing tires or the lug bolt can be snapped.

Linda S