About to purchase an '83 Sunrader with 67K miles

Douglas17313

I'm going to look at an '83 Sunrader with 67K. It has a manuel transmission and has been owned by the same guy over 10 years.  He has

receipts for $1200 of recent work and sent pics showing the the rear axle with 6 lugs and the center cap also with 6 lugs, telling me that it has  been replaced.  What else should I look for as I check the unit out?  Price is just over NADA.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.  

Edited by Douglas17313

NADA is usually pretty low so the price is probably good. Sounds like a good low mileage unit. Besides making sure it runs good, check for leaks around windows and overhead vents. Water staining on a Sunrader is usually not a disaster unless it's really bad. Check that all the appliances work properly, they can be expensive to replace. Look at date code on tires and make sure they are relatively new. No more than a few years old if you want to get any use out of them. 6 years is considered an old tire.

Good luck

Linda S

Most common I see  "tires have lots of thread"  But they are 10 years old and unsafe to drive on   https://www.google.com/search?q=dot+date+code&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

AC just needs a charge,  if it needs a charge it is broken and will likely be an expensive fix!

Gets unbelievable MPG,  owner is either a liar, or delusional.   My V6 Toy gets 20MPG,  12 on the highway and 8 in the city  12+8=20 : )

Thank you for the replies.  I'm quite nervous about jumping into this.  I've always done my own vehicle maintenance, brakes, fluids, etc and do most of my home repairs.  So, I'm thinking with manuals, forums and you tube videos I might be good to accomplish my own repair.  Just want to make certain I begin with a solid vehicle.

Sunraders (and all others) can suffer from soft/spongy/saggy floors. Sunraders are also often described as 'leak roof'. Not so. Anything can leak (even a submarine), especially at factory installed holes (windows, vents, lights, etc.). Fortunately, for Sunraders, the consequences are less than for 'sticks 'n staples' 'homes.

1 hour ago, Douglas17313 said:

Thank you for the replies.  I'm quite nervous about jumping into this.  I've always done my own vehicle maintenance, brakes, fluids, etc and do most of my home repairs.  So, I'm thinking with manuals, forums and you tube videos I might be good to accomplish my own repair.  Just want to make certain I begin with a solid vehicle.

I am not that mechanical and not that fond of doing mechanical work however the Toys are fairly simple and with the help of the forum have been able to do all my mechanical work.  I have hired some out, but only because I have a reasonably priced neighborhood wrench. Parts seldom seem to be an issue either.      Yotatech has also been a big help. 

Thank you. I'm looking at this as something I can get immediate use out of but looking long term as a project and remodeling. 

They can be money pits. But diehard Toyota fans love them.

I've spent way more money than my toy is worth, but would never sell her. They are unique, no longer made, and draw looks wherever you go. ?

Well, I looked at and test drove the '83 Sunrader.  Overall I really liked it.  Owe very, a couple of concerns:

1. The furnace kicked on very quickly and heated the coach nicely.  When the furnace was turned off the smell of gas was strong.

2.  The steering felt loose and had a lot of play.

3.  The engine started quickly and seemed solid, however I thought it smelled as if it was running rich, it also sputtered a couple of times.

4. One headlight was much brighter than the other and the brake light on the same side was dim.

5. Fridge would not work on gas or electric.   Owner will resolve this problem.

There were two small leaks but with the Sunrader it was obvious as to their origin and are a simple repair

It was the first time in one of these and was really surprised at how small.  It took a bit to get used too, but I quickly got used to it and ended up liking it. 

Any thoughts as to the above issues?

Edited by Douglas17313

19 hours ago, Douglas17313 said:

Well, I looked at and test drove the '83 Sunrader.  Overall I really liked it.  Owe very, a couple of concerns:

1. The furnace kicked on very quickly and heated the coach nicely.  When the furnace was turned off the smell of gas was strong.

2.  The steering felt loose and had a lot of play.

3.  The engine started quickly and seemed solid, however I thought it smelled as if it was running rich, it also sputtered a couple of times.

4. One headlight was much brighter than the other and the brake light on the same side was dim.

5. Fridge would not work on gas or electric.   Owner will resolve this problem.

There were two small leaks but with the Sunrader it was obvious as to their origin and are a simple repair

It was the first time in one of these and was really surprised at how small.  It took a bit to get used too, but I quickly got used to it and ended up liking it. 

Any thoughts as to the above issues?

When gas appliances are not used the valves tend to leak, I put a shut off on my furnace just in case.

I would not call my 93 steering loose when I bought it, upon inspection most of the rubber was borderline on needing replacing, along with all steering components, shocks etc.  30+ year old vehicles are restoration projects.

Not working on Gas or electric is a big deal, fridge can be expensive!                             Jim