Just bought me first Toyota RV

coosterhuis

Hey all,

Just bought my first Toyota RV and was wondering what people think. Its a 1978 Toyota (Sportsman I believe?) with 89,000 original miles. Its a manuel with a 4 cyclinder 20R motor and dualley back wheels. It is almost completely gutted except for where the hook ups were previously installed for everything. I paid $1500 for it and it runs and shifts great. Does that seem like an OK deal? I would like to take it out West, but not sure if the 4 cyclinder will do well in the mountains. Anybody taken theirs on extended trip through the mountains? That or find a way to give it a little more power (maybe put a 22R motor in it). I can post some pictures if anyone would like to see her. Thanks!

-Cole Oosterhuis

a 20 R should be 95 or 96 hp I don't recall. is that maybe a huntsman? they have a stronger timing chain then the 22r.  these   4 cylinders have 5 main bearings the secret is to never lug them down. you use the transmission to keep the revs up maybe 35 in third gear or less in a lower gear . yes they will wind a little that is what they are made to do gutted out should be much lighter . and welcome to the group .

Here are some pictures.

8 hours ago, linda s said:

Very possible you have the 5 lug rear axle. That's a problem. Yes please post some pics with at least one showing the rear axle with nothing covering the lug nuts.

Linda S

What is wrong with the 5 lug rear axle @linda s ?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Very cute. You didn't show the rear wheel uncovered but the early design of the dually wheels was flawed and the axles were recalled. Axle bearings failed and wheels fell off while driving down the road.  Lots of these littler ones though originally came with a wide single wheel in the back.

http://classifieds.toyotamotorhome.org/images/Axle_FAQ.pdf

Since the cost of upgrading your axle is steep you might want to consider going to a single wheel in the back

Linda S

Unfortunately it is up at my land so I cant take anymore pictures right away. I do know that it is 5 lug for sure though, as I took one of the tires off to check the condition of the breaks.

If you already know, then no need for a picture.

'Foolies' appeared about the same time yours was built. Before that, many were supplied with wider than standard rear rims (7"?) and fitted with L60-14" tires. Dolphin used wide singles until '79, offered 'foolies' as an option in '79 and only 'foolies' from '80-'85.