So that's where that smell came from!

Bikemike

I learned from another posting about sealing cracks in abs plastic with acetone and abs shavings and was able to salvage the black water tank. I plan to try that again with the three sizable cracks on this grey water tank. A friend suggested using a piece of fiberglass house screen as reinforcement in the abs/acetone slurry. Any comments, council, warnings?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I used fiberglass cloth with a very open weave to fix mine and the shavings thing. Your cracks are flat so the screen material would work fine. I didn't use acetone. I just bought ABS glue. I think it gives you a little more working time. I think for cracks like this your supposed to drill tiny holes at the ends of the cracks to take the stress off of them. My repair was at the out flow pipe so kind of different situation. Think giant gaping hole not crack.

Linda S

All guped up and drying. I plan to put at least one more coat on. I drilled holes along the cracks like shoelace holes to give some anchorage to the slurry. 

image.jpeg

u just need to drill one small hole on each end of the cracks.acetone and abs shavings are the way to do it what you are doing is fusing the tank cranks back together.using fiberglass screen will work for awhile .without the screen the tank will melt back together and will be stronger.

abs plastic is not ment to be welded won't hold. the newer types of plastic in the newer tanks can be welded.you can tell the newer tanks by how flexable they are and the plastic is a light gray color. those tanks we used to speed spin the fittings into them .as for welding them .if you don't know what you are doing in seconds there trash. I took a class on repairing them for coachman. abs tanks were chemical fused together